1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Astell & Kern AK120

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by toxicdrift, May 9, 2013.
First

Back
457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466
468 469
Next

Last
  1. Ron_f
    Ak120 titan vs Ak sr-15 norma? and planning buy a glove a1 amp to to the titan.
    in terms of SQ only

2. magicguy
    If you want to use a Glove A1 (this is a DAC/AMP, not only an AMP), you can buy a "stock" AK100...
    This is cheaper.
    You don't need to buy something better... As the DAC/AMP will be the one of the Glove A1.

Now, if you want to use the AK without the glove, this make sence.

FYI, I still own an AK120/Glove A1.
    The amp section is amazing, it can drive my Audeze Sine.

Now, I use an RWAK240+.
    Easier to carry, and easier to put in a pocket.

Both of them accept Sandisk micro sd 400go.
    But if you want to play DSD files, you will need, at least, ultra cards.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. crashtest33
    Hi All!

I'm after a new Tidal-enabled DAP with the footprint of the Mojo. Trouble is most of the new Chi-fi offerings have extremely poorly developed UI software. (Hiby R3, Hidizs, Shanling etc.)
    I need Tidal support and the ability to insert a 400Gb MicroSD.

I've never considered A&K ever as it was way out of my price range. I saw that all the wifi-enabled players received Tidal support so thought the AK120 was the solution to my problems as prices are now reasonable.
    Can you all confirm that I'm sniffing in the right area?

1) Nice, fast, responsive, intuitive AI
    2) Tidal support
    3) Mojo footprint
    4) MicroSD expansion

Cheers
    Nick

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. magicguy
    Hi Nick,

I think you are wrong... AK1x0 "mark 1" has no wifi capabilities.
    Wifi and Tidal were only available still AK1x0 "mark 2", with one of the latest firmware.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/news/astellkern-tidal-high-fidelity-streaming-service

"Astell&Kern is offering Tidal support via an “Over-The-Air” (OTA) firmware update for the entire product line, including the AK70, AK300, AK320, AK380, AK240, AK100 II, and AK120 II. The players are capable of reproducing high-resolution music signals up to 32-Bit/384 kHz. Astell&Kern players provide the highest sound standards and include Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) and audio formats, such as DSD".

crashtest33 likes this.
  5. Speedstick
    Hi there! just want to know, will the GloveAudio A1 amp work with the Mezzo mod AK120?

6. xtr4
    If I'm not mistaken , it should work as the Glove Audio uses the optical out of the AK and treats it as a transport which also bypasses the Mezzo mod.

7. Speedstick
    is the connection between the A1 and AK120 optical?

8. xtr4
  9. TYATYA
    To man who considering tidal ak daps (with price order low to hi)
    CT10 -> Ak100ii
    Check it first before 120ii

CT10 being highly remarks by users bcs of musicality & UI & functionlity

10. magicguy
    Ak120 Mezzo mod is based on Ak120 first gen.

Glove A1 is made for this version, only this version (first gen), and AK100 too of course.
    The big improvement of the Glove A1, for me, is the very powerfull Amp section on the balanced output.
    Very impressive !
    Mezzo mod (Wolfson WM8740 DAC) and Glove A1 (ESS 9018-2M) sounds very different.
    I like both.
    So it’s great to own both :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Speedstick likes this.
  11. Speedstick
    I have message Mezzo Hifi and found out that they ceased doing the mod for AK120. Are they still worth getting today in used condition?

12. Speedstick
    Anyone tried the USB DAC function of AK120 with Windows 10? the AK120 was detected by my PC (iriver USB DAC) and set it as default but no sound was coming out of the AK120. Tested the AK120 with my iPod Touch Gen 6 and it was working fine so I guess there's something wrong with my PC setting: Any suggestions what to check? Thanks!

USB DAC.jpeg

13. davehg
    Is your USB port on the PC a USB 2.0 or 3.0? My understanding is that the 120 Mk 1 won’t support USB 3.0, and this was not a Windows issue.

Speedstick likes this.
  14. Speedstick
    I have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 on my PC, connected it into the 2.0. With my iPod Touch, sound is coming out of it but no sound is produce with my PC. Default sound device was also set to 'iriver USB DAC' on my PC and I can see that the sound level graphics is moving up and down when I'm playing a track. I also set the format to 24 bit, 96000 Hz but to no avail.

15. davehg
    Post your solution if you learn it. I’ve since moved on to a stand alone streamer/DAC but there are times it might be nice to use the 120 to stream from PC using Tidal.

Speedstick likes this.
First

Back
457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466
468 469
Next

Last