The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 4, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #61 of 3,220
Sounds great, wgr, I'm flattered.
tongue.gif
I'm flattered and confused at the same time. I never thought ugliness was ever inspiration for imitation for anyone.
biggrin.gif
But I'm sure that electronics lab has something that can supercede the Tic Tac box. I even only used it since it was within eyesight.

One suggestion I do have would be to use a small section of perfboard to organize things inside the Tic Tac case. Reviewing my mod, that would have helped stabilize things some even though I crammed everything in so that nothing would really move anyway. Just a thought.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #62 of 3,220
Lol, well it was a good idea. My nano looks like crap, so looks will be the last thing I care about. Sound is far more important. That perfboard sounds like a good idea. I'll look for some of that.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #63 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Nano have huge pads! So you can do direct soldering with no trics!

Just wait a week or so and I will post my nano mod! It will be easy, cheap and killer!
You will like it!
evil_smiley.gif

I am more psyched about this write up than I was actually getting my 1st gen nano. Can't wait for the post. In the meantime, is there any way you could list parts I need to be ordering so I'll be all ready to go. PLLLLEEEAAASE. Thanks.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #64 of 3,220
There must be a bigger soldering point for the iPod Photo/Colour than just the resistor pads... I'm thinking something along the line of a pad for a capacitor, which should probably be larger than the pads on those resistors.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #65 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more psyched about this write up than I was actually getting my 1st gen nano. Can't wait for the post. In the meantime, is there any way you could list parts I need to be ordering so I'll be all ready to go. PLLLLEEEAAASE. Thanks.

How do you want to set up your diyMod nano? Where do you want to buy your parts from? What do you have and what do you need to get? Essentially you'll need some hookup wire and two caps. You could go the extra mile and grab a mini jack/plug, but that's up to you. Hookup wire you can grab at Radio Shack. Where you buy your caps from depends on which ones you want. Consult the thread in my sig. It's a starting point and still kind of confusing, but read around the other threads about which caps are the best and you'll get an idea of the sound you want.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #66 of 3,220
I'd be interested in doing this with my ipod 5g video. Has anyone figured out how to do it without having that black box on the outside. Basically do what RWA did?

parts? Prefer to be able to buy in Canada somewhere

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #67 of 3,220
Hey, could you tell me why my click wheel doesnt work once i put it back together? Im sure I have the ribbon cables in correctly?!?

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #68 of 3,220
For the iPod nano, the ribbon cable for the click wheel sits right south of the battery. I actually snapped the black plastic tab keeping the pressure on it (when I still had mine), so I had to insert a very small piece of cardboard into the same slot to give the same pressure effect. Check to see if this ribbon cable is in far enough before you bring the tab down on it.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #69 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested in doing this with my ipod 5g video. Has anyone figured out how to do it without having that black box on the outside. Basically do what RWA did?

parts? Prefer to be able to buy in Canada somewhere

As for the 5G iPod, I can only imagine there being two pieces of wires running from the WM8758 CODEC audio outputs straight to the dock somewhere. I can't confirm this without the actual iPod, so we'll have to wait for an adventurous soul.

As for parts for the 5G, all you really need after the hookup wire is a pair of capacitors and the Ridax iPod dock connector, unless you want to do it a different way.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #71 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the iPod nano, the ribbon cable for the click wheel sits right south of the battery. Check to see if this ribbon cable is in far enough before you bring the tab down on it.

Ive done this about 3 times!?! Hmm, illl keep trying i guess...The LCD works(the other ribbon cable is fine).

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #72 of 3,220
Quote:

does it have to be ridax? Or can I just use a qables one?

The qables on will work fine...I think they are the same thing actually.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #73 of 3,220
Quote:

does it have to be ridax? Or can I just use a qables one?

Silly me, Qables makes them too. Yeah, it ought to work.

wgr:

Did you unsolder anything? One of my problems with the nano was that it would work before I screwed in the logic board and put the back case on, but when I put Humpty Dumpty together again, the click wheel wouldn't work. You just have to keep trying until it sticks, unfortunately.

Pics would be cool too.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #75 of 3,220
Ok, should the wheel cable go up like this??

Here are some other pics....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back