The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
May 3, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #3,211 of 3,220
hi everyone,

how are you doin, guys..
long time not seeing this marvelous thread, misses you guys..really..

just wondering, are there still using those diyMod ipod nano 1stG?
i’ve lost track of mine long time ago, i lend it back to my sister (the original owner) and she forgot where she put it..
but hey, i got 2pcs (the white one are 4gb variant) that can be use for an experiment..and an extra 2 main board for spare..
so, different from 2007, i’m having more skill at soldering micro parts now (diy’ing my own BA iem), adjustable solder with fine tips, got magnifier glass with led, and a helping hand..
the only thing are missing is, i completely forgot what to do, to make diyMod nano 1stGen..
and it seems that not any of pict’s from the nano’s still there, missing link from imageshack and so on..
So, need help anyone, Jon? Christine? Ishtob? anyone?
post a pict of your Nano front and backplate so i could see where should i start to begin with..

many thanks in advance..

Attachments

• 9A665C04-BD2E-4CE2-BBBF-F4B8B5ADAFA1.jpeg
    9A665C04-BD2E-4CE2-BBBF-F4B8B5ADAFA1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • F0B39489-9BFB-46E6-8F70-6251502361A9.jpeg
    F0B39489-9BFB-46E6-8F70-6251502361A9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #3,212 of 3,220
Not sure why anyone would think an IMOD competes with anything around today. It was invented to bypass dodgy ceramic output caps on a pretty average quality dac (by todays standards), with no output buffer. We have many players and portable dacs these days that simply dont have these issues to begin with.

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #3,213 of 3,220
Not sure why anyone would think an IMOD competes with anything around today. It was invented to bypass dodgy ceramic output caps on a pretty average quality dac (by todays standards), with no output buffer. We have many players and portable dacs these days that simply dont have these issues to begin with.
Thanks for your feedback! Always great for people to stop by and let everyone know you think they're wasting time.

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #3,214 of 3,220
Sounds like you're from the bought not built side of the fence ... That's cool you do you and we will tinker with cool old crap and have something interesting and unique that we enjoy listening to

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #3,216 of 3,220
and it seems that not any of pict’s from the nano’s still there, missing link from imageshack and so on..
So, need help anyone, Jon? Christine? Ishtob? anyone?
post a pict of your Nano front and backplate so i could see where should i start to begin with..

many thanks in advance..
A thousand apologies, iQEM. I thought I had updated the first post with the Instructables project, but apparently not. I've fixed that now.

https://www.instructables.com/DiyMod/

If you are into computers at all, you'll find there's a longstanding tradition of propping up old devices. There are museums and collectors who seek out obscure, low-production, esoteric products because there's an innate human need to reconnect with the past and remember where we came from, be they typewriters or video game consoles or what-have-you.

I'm actually still shocked myself that this thread is still alive somehow, being a project from my university/starving student days, but you'd be surprised how different everyone's audio setups can be. On my own, I play vinyl records on some Sony receiver to floorstanding Pioneer speakers; stream music to AirPods Pro 2nd or AirPods Max using Apple Music and Spotify; AirPlay to an iPod Hi-Fi with a Raspberry Pi running shairport-sync through my Carrie Amp; stream over AirPlay 2 to a HomePod and HomePod mini; bop to CDs on road trips in the car; and occasionally listen to wired headphones on an iPod 5G without diyMod. Once upon a time, I played CDs on a modified Playstation 1; amped HD650s through a Millett Hybrid MAX; wore a fanny pack containing a Creative Zen Vision:M playing through a PIMETAv2 to KSC75s; and even just listened on a straightforward USB flash drive player (whose make and model I forget) to Shure E2Cs. That's just me, and I'm sure you'll find a similar level of diversity if you ask five people around you. Audio is different for everyone, and that's okay.

We didn't have today's devices 15 years ago, and it's not unusual for people to keep old technology around. You may be shocked to learn how much of the world still uses dial-up, 56k internet. Like the others said, the diyMod isn't for everyone, but neither is music or audio in general.

Let people enjoy things.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #3,218 of 3,220
Well this is small fish for this thread, but I'm quite happy at the moment because I have an ipod wolfson 5th gen and it didn't hold charge for crap, so today I successfully swapped out the battery! Not super difficult, actually, I should have done it sooner :).

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #3,219 of 3,220
Sounds like you're from the bought not built side of the fence ... That's cool you do you and we will tinker with cool old crap and have something interesting and unique that we enjoy listening to
ha!! sorry to bump, its been ages since ive logged in here, but I cant let such an off base comment go without reply. You clearly dont have any idea about me.

In the next couple weeks, I'm about to hit send on the latest in a long line of DIY projects stretching back decades. The system design and PCBs at this point is a digital crossover running on an embedded raspberry pi compute module running camilladsp, USB out via xmos XU316 (locally and synchronously (on the dac side) clocked, out to an 8 channel (optionally 16 in the future) balanced ESS dac (9028pro, with 9039pro next in line once i'm done testing with the 9028 I have on hand). These will be driving Ti based class D amps, forming a web client controlled network streaming digital active 3 way speaker system with 2 ways plus 2 subs. the monitors will have 3d printed waveguide loaded baffles (ASA-CF, or just plain ASA, ASA CF cant be vapour smoothed and is a bit pricey) and rear panel and CNC marine ply walls. All my design, all my schematic capture, all my 3d modelling, all my 3d printing, on a 3d printer that I built and constantly improve, including 48V stepper motor drivers that are also my design. its the culmination of a couple years work on the side. Started as a covid project.

on the more headphone related end and the reason i'm back here tonight, is i'm laying out a crossover for some IEMs, as I finally lost one of my customs about 6 months ago and I figure rather than buy something to get me by on the commute to my new job and on the job when i'm out on the road, It would be fun to build my own IEMs and a new portable dac/amp, perhaps with active crossover, or at a minimum, with a simple 2 channel bluetooth dac/amp neckband and passive XO. I dont have a suitable measurement rig for IEMs as yet, so i'll probably start with passive XO. So i'm just trawling the massive DIY CIEM thread for ideas on driver choice.

So you see, I was simply a bit bemused that such an old dac and simple mod that is easily bettered by $50 in parts, is still so popular.

Its cool, I support people having fun with diy audio and its as good a place to start learning as any I suppose, I just think there are better starting points these days and quicker routes to better audio performance. if its all about the journey, rather than the result, all good, have at it. They did sound good for the time those old wolfson dacs.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #3,220 of 3,220
Si you see my DIY affliction is kind of out of hand. I could easily just buy some IEMs; it would maybe even be cheaper ... but it wouldnt be as satisfying and I suspect I will gain a better result DIY than what i'm willing to drop on commercial IEMs at this point. Buying a multichannel DAC certainly would have been, in cost, without even speaking of the hundreds of hours; but it wouldnt be mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back