The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Oct 13, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #16 of 529
Hrm.. I am really tempting to try this DACs.

When is the release date?

As for the 24/384khz, what's the medium to send that to this DAC?? That feature sounds more like a future-proof more or less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like there will be three models:
  1. Zodiac, tentatively priced at ~$1500.00.
  2. Zodiac+, tentatively priced at ~$2500.00.
  3. Zodiac Gold, tentatively priced at ~$3500.00.
If I heard correctly, I think the Zodiac Gold (which isn't shown on their site yet) will have a gold relay attenuator.

It looks like all will have Trinity-level clocking.

I expect to have a chance to hear at least one of these units--hopefully in a couple of weeks--when Marcel from Antelope Audio stops by my office for a visit.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 529
Pricey but very interesting none the less. Whilst DAC technology gets better and the specs become insanely accurate, I wonder in the real world how much is actually audible.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #19 of 529
Looks nice, and price doesn't seem so bad. Especially if it includes USB input and the headamp is decent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this info Jude. The quoted SNR and Dynamic ranges are insane. zodiac_rubicon

What I heard was that Zodiac Gold will support up to 384 kHz /24 Bit.
I am speechless ...

24-bit/384-khz!! How is this feature useful??

129dB SNR/dynamic range!!! How is this useful info? How would this compare to other DACs, when measured the same way? MSB's Power DAC has 140db SNR/136db dynamic range!!! And you just jizzed your pants.
tongue.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 529
Hi guys,

We have 384Khz working via USB, but we're waiting for a software that will support it to test it out. So far, Sonic Studio's Amarra software will auto-rate switch with the USB versions of Zodiac up to 192Khz, but they are working on 384 right now. Amarra is very cool too, btw, as it uses iTunes for file management, but bypasses the core audio engine.

The Zodiac will do up to 96Khz via optical and 192Khz via S/PDIF and won't have USB.
Zodiac Plus will do up to 192Khz via USB and S/PDIF and will also have an AES input and de-jittered digital outputs (AES and 2 S/PDIF outs, all active)
Zodiac Gold (shipping in early 2010) will do up to 384Khz via USB and have a stepped attenuator with gold relays and a cool remote control.

Marcel James
Antelope Audio
www.antelopeaudio.com

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 529
Now, that's a different story. :)

is this 384khz also planned for windows users? Amarra is strictly mac as we all know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

We have 384Khz working via USB, but we're waiting for a software that will support it to test it out. So far, Sonic Studio's Amarra software will auto-rate switch with the USB versions of Zodiac up to 192Khz, but they are working on 384 right now. Amarra is very cool too, btw, as it uses iTunes for file management, but bypasses the core audio engine.

The Zodiac will do up to 96Khz via optical and S/PDIF and won't have USB.
Zodiac Plus will do up to 192Khz via USB and will also have an AES input and de-jittered digital outputs (AES and 2 S/PDIF outs, all active)
Zodiac Gold (shipping in early 2010) will do up to 384Khz via USB and have a stepped attenuator with gold relays and a cool remote control.

Marcel James
Antelope Audio

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #23 of 529
When will we see this in store and whats the estimated price?
What color options will you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

The Zodiac will do up to 96Khz via optical and S/PDIF and won't have USB.
Zodiac Plus will do up to 192Khz via USB and will also have an AES input and de-jittered digital outputs (AES and 2 S/PDIF outs, all active)

Marcel James
Antelope Audio
www.antelopeaudio.com

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is this 384khz also planned for windows users? Amarra is strictly mac as we all know.

The native Windows driver doesn't go past 192khz, so at this time, that's the Windows limit.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #28 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was curious about that Amarra software, but it costs almost as much as an iMac? :S
Only 'usefull' function is the automatic sample rate switcher... but most music is 44.1khz anyway.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #29 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by danne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when is the release day on this thing anyway?

Don't have an exact date, but right now it's sometime in Dec for Zodiac and Plus.

Thanks,
Marcel James
antelopeaudio.com

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #30 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was curious about that Amarra software, but it costs almost as much as an iMac? :S
Only 'usefull' function is the automatic sample rate switcher... but most music is 44.1khz anyway.

Amarra bypasses the core audio engine. I'm sure there are posts about it's audio quality out there, but check it out. It sounds significantly better than iTunes on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back