The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Sep 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #273 of 2,897
The fix- shuffle algorithm is available only when our Tera needs service,such as battery replacement.
I implored Charles to do mine without luck
frown.gif

Did you try to implore him by suggesting you may be willing to pay some type of fee for the upgrade (and obviously pay for shipping)?
Just curious whether he just does not want to deal with this at all, or is it a matter of not wanting to do it for free (which if others found out could mean he could get flooded with bunch of Tera's send back for free upgrades).

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #275 of 2,897
I returned my Tera for repair and Charles did both the buffer increase and the new random algorithm at no charge. I fully believe that he will fully support the Tera-Player should repairs or battery replacement be needed.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #277 of 2,897
I used a 128Gb card and I classify my music by artist/year of album_album/song and it was pretty easy to navigate, that is if you know all of your albums. I switched back to 64Gb because my 128 was noisy, making a "tac tac tac" constantly. Now I feel... congested by the 64Gb. I wish there were some better quality 128Gb cards at cheaper price (which is kinda silly to say when you already bought a Tera...) 

By the way, I'm interested to know some more about the difference between the 2 headphone outs, they have different putput impedance ok, but what does a crossfeed do? (I'm a bit of a bohemian on the subject)

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #278 of 2,897

By the way, I'm interested to know some more about the difference between the 2 headphone outs, they have different putput impedance ok, but what does a crossfeed do? (I'm a bit of a bohemian on the subject)

Crossfeed involves mixing a little of the left channel into the right and a little of the right into the left which is meant to emulate speakers where you hear both in both ears, but with a slight delay.  I find it's great for making old recordings (where instruments are hard panned to one side) more realistic but some people like it with everything, Mr Altmann being one of them.

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #280 of 2,897
  First I've seen that he switched DACs for production from a reliable source. If so, I was mistaken and apologize for the error but it changes nothing in terms implied sound quality which I've never once questioned. Still nice to know he seems to have enough around for years of production so the angst over quantity seems ill founded.
smile.gif
Glad you guys found a forum to talk to Charles openly and get the correct info. If it was noted here that a talk with him confirmed the change, I doubt anyone would have disagreed. The 8552 info was taken from his own 'making of' site. 

I think the old threads got off track due to misinformation about spec by advocates as much as 'haters'. Members trolling other DAP threads didn't help give benefit of doubt either. 

How long did the initial thread run before it was pointed out it didn't have beyond 16bit res. to argument. Saying that it maxes out at 16bit res, has a highish output impedance and some high frequency roll is not dumping on the unit. It's simply pointing out compromises that Charles has chosen for his take on proper sonic performance. The problem was that all these design choices, and that's what they are because Charles and obviously advocates like it that way, (I may as well) were fought about here for no good reason. I have never heard a Tera, though I have listened to his home DAC, and suspect that I'd agree it does sound very good. That doesn't change the fact that without a screen, HiDef, and with use of certain transducers, won't be best for everyone. Charles has no marketing dilemma. He suggest you do what any smart person would. Listen for yourself if you can accept it's navigation and cost and I couldn't agree more. 

Sorry to rehash but that link does the same, sometimes misrepresents the above view as 'hater' and one of my posts was directly referenced. Of course there were those that will never give the Tera a chance due to specs but there are those that will never give a hm901 a chance due to size or A&K a chance due to cost etc. It was the adversarial aspect of member discussion and Charles going ballistic that caused the old threads to go away and I don't think it was one sided. This one probably has a better chance of sticking around sans links with headfi spin to them. I hope it does. The industry needs more free thinkers/innovators/mad scientists like Charles.
beerchug.gif

whoa that was a rant.  but I mostly agree
smily_headphones1.gif

First I got to ask which desktop dac have you listen too? was it the attraction dac? How did you like it? Any comparisons with other desktop dacs?

second the production model of the tera has ALWAYS been the phillips 16 bit nos dac (though Charles has never stated the model)  he was playing around with the pcm8552 and the phillips TDA1541 dacs when developing but the final model has always had the same dac. 

Third the Tera doesn't just read the first 16 bits and ignore the top 8 bits but actual drops the bottom 8 bits on 24bit files, as charles says that they are mostly noise anyways (he said this in another forum I'll try to find it again if anyone ask. 

Finally with some akm dacs as the exception there isn't any Delta-sigma dacs that are true 24bits most top out at 4-6 bits.  The cirrus dac in the ak240 is 2 bits I think.  So the claim that the tera doesn't do 24bit is a little bit of a cheat for other daps. (is all else equal ... no but thats a conversation for another thread) 

fyi - there is no true dap out there that does native dsd.  Any dap that uses digital volume control can't do native dsd due to the nature of digital volume controll instead DSD ---> 24bit /172.9khz internally.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #282 of 2,897
I'm expecting the Geek Wave to at least match and possibly exceed the sonic qualities of my TP. Hopefully reports of it's sonic attributes will be forthcoming during RMAF.

All the people who have a Tera Player do you own another high end Dap or you are looking to purchase another?Are you listening to.something else in parallel with Tera?

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #285 of 2,897
Never the less, they do work at 24bit resolution so I don't see the point. Most DSD recording are converted from PCM somewhere on their way to becoming commercial releases as well and for the same reasons as the V control. I'm now familiar with the Hugo, Berkeley, Naim, PS Audio and some others. I don't want to get into particulars in a Tera thread but I use and like best, the one with 1704s. I quite like the 1st 3 even though they aren't all ladders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back