The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jan 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2,506 of 2,704
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to operate the CDM without the battery and using only the wall charger for power? This way i could use it in desktop mode without having to recharge every 4 hours.

Edit: Just tried it; disconnected the internal battery and everything works fine using the wall charger. I now have a permanently powered (desktop) CDM. No more charging. Should've tried this before!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #2,510 of 2,704
Anybody looking to sell their CDM? In particular a maroon one. Please PM me is you have one available. Thank you!

Hi Alfredo,

I’m looking to sell my CDM! I’ve attached some photo’s of it. As you can see it’s in pristine condition cosmetically with the only minor thing being that the felt feet on the bottom have slipped slightly! No damage whatsoever to the actual device itself.

This is one of the first batch of CDM’s so it needs sending to Ken at ALO (unless you or someone you know can bypass the 2 resistors that need shorting yourself) if you want to use it with an iPhone. I’m an iPhone guy but it’s not really my sound signature as I’m a solid state kinda bear! I just used it with the line in.

So it has sat in my smoke- child- and pet-free home ever since I bought it with less than 50 hours use -probably less than 30 but I’m being conservative as I really can’t remember, it’s been so long!

If you want the 1.m solid silver balanced cable I got custom made for the CDM - a “Silver Dream” made for me by Artisan Silver Cables at a cost of £479 - then I would ask for an extra £300 - it’s in absolutely impeccable condition and practically unused having had less than 10 hours use, and yes, those are genuine Furutech Rhodium plated Carbon Fibre wrapped connectors at both ends!

Price for the CDM and cable is something I’ll let you offer (I was thinking around £600 - about half the new price - but please tell me if that’s unreasonable) and see if we can reach an agreement. I’ve been focusing on my speakers system for the last couple of years and don’t know what the going rate is, but I know this is a $1500 amp because I bought it! The lack of recent activity here can be countered by my feedback on eBay UK (123.musicol) which I encourage you to read as it’s just as perfect as my feedback here on Head-Fi. (I can send you a photo of my system with the majestic Martin Logan electrostatic speakers if you like!).

One thing to note; the wall wart is a UK 240V 3-pin type so you will need an adapter.

Attachments

• 3C08AB53-A0A1-4C6A-9C3A-807222A5E99C.jpeg
    3C08AB53-A0A1-4C6A-9C3A-807222A5E99C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A7512420-C87A-4894-ACAA-4F30C863E031.jpeg
    A7512420-C87A-4894-ACAA-4F30C863E031.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 9A3323FF-9DC1-4148-9496-D68CD2BEC17B.jpeg
    9A3323FF-9DC1-4148-9496-D68CD2BEC17B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • A4581137-13A4-4BE5-9F40-8C70F78C2CB3.jpeg
    A4581137-13A4-4BE5-9F40-8C70F78C2CB3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,511 of 2,704
Hi Alfredo,

I’m looking to sell my CDM! I’ve attached some photo’s of it. As you can see it’s in pristine condition cosmetically with the only minor thing being that the felt feet on the bottom have slipped slightly! No damage whatsoever to the actual device itself.

This is one of the first batch of CDM’s so it needs sending to Ken at ALO (unless you or someone you know can bypass the 2 resistors that need shorting yourself) if you want to use it with an iPhone. I’m an iPhone guy but it’s not really my sound signature as I’m a solid state kinda bear! I just used it with the line in.

So it has sat in my smoke- child- and pet-free home ever since I bought it with less than 50 hours use -probably less than 30 but I’m being conservative as I really can’t remember, it’s been so long!

If you want the 1.m solid silver balanced cable I got custom made for the CDM - a “Silver Dream” made for me by Artisan Silver Cables at a cost of £479 - then I would ask for an extra £300 - it’s in absolutely impeccable condition and practically unused having had less than 10 hours use, and yes, those are genuine Furutech Rhodium plated Carbon Fibre wrapped connectors at both ends!

Price for the CDM and cable is something I’ll let you offer (I was thinking around £600 - about half the new price - but please tell me if that’s unreasonable) and see if we can reach an agreement. I’ve been focusing on my speakers system for the last couple of years and don’t know what the going rate is, but I know this is a $1500 amp because I bought it! The lack of recent activity here can be countered by my feedback on eBay UK (123.musicol) which I encourage you to read as it’s just as perfect as my feedback here on Head-Fi. (I can send you a photo of my system with the majestic Martin Logan electrostatic speakers if you like!).

One thing to note; the wall wart is a UK 240V 3-pin type so you will need an adapter.
PS. The cable is 1.7m - I missed the .7 off!

Feb 7, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #2,512 of 2,704
PS. The cable is 1.7m - I missed the .7 off!
PPS. One last thing I ought to point out. The label on the wall wart is just white electrical tape so can be easily and cleanly removed. I have several such wall warts for different devices with different ratings so this is how I label them to avoid potential problems!

Feb 7, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #2,513 of 2,704
PPS. One last thing I ought to point out. The label on the wall wart is just white electrical tape so can be easily and cleanly removed. I have several such wall warts for different devices with different ratings so this is how I label them to avoid potential problems!
Doh... I forgot to say I’m based in the UK but am happy to ship fully insured and tracked and have loads of suitable packing material - it would have to be dropped off a plane in flight then driven over by a wheeled Caterpillar scraper to get damaged in transit! Payment by Bank Transfer please. My PayPal account was locked after someone used it fraudulently and because I’m disabled, don’t drive and can’t travel, I don’t have the photo ID that PayPal demand to unlock it. It’s blatant discrimination but after 2+ Years of struggling I’ve given up the battle and admitted defeat... there’s nothing I can do about it.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,514 of 2,704
I’m a solid state kinda bear! I just used it with the line in.

The tubes are in the signal path when using line in.
The CDM is a hybrid design; tube preamp + solid state output.

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #2,515 of 2,704
Its interesting to see this thread, for I know so many people who regret selling their CDMs....man, I hafta try one of these one day

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #2,516 of 2,704
Its interesting to see this thread, for I know so many people who regret selling their CDMs....man, I hafta try one of these one day
I thoroughly enjoyed the CDM, but it’s not my preferred sound signature... nice for a change but it’s gone now and I’m at peace with the decision. Maybe I just didn’t follow advice I frequently give by not giving it time to burn in fully - but since it’s gone :beerchug: that’s probably a good thing!

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #2,518 of 2,704
Yesterday I was listening to my CDM and suddenly the led of the tubes turn off,but still,there was sound came from cdm.
Does it means my tubes died already?

Not at all. On the each of the CDM pcb, soldered 1 led element, which serves purely for decoration purpose as it gives more light to the tube glowing - making it more beautiful looking. If you're going to check your "dead" tube during listening - you will see that it still glowing, but far less bright then your other tube - where the led element on the pcb is still alive.
You can replace the led (first you need to unsolder the tube from pcb) and the bright glow is going to come back)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #2,519 of 2,704
Not at all. On the each of the CDM pcb, soldered 1 led element, which serves purely for decoration purpose as it gives more light to the tube glowing - making it more beautiful looking. If you're going to check your "dead" tube during listening - you will see that it still glowing, but far less bright then your other tube - where the led element on the pcb is still alive.
You can replace the led (first you need to unsolder the tube from pcb) and the bright glow is going to come back)
But the led act normal when I change back to stock tubes,so I assume that’s the problem of my aftermarket tubes,not the pcb of cdm

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #2,520 of 2,704
But the led act normal when I change back to stock tubes,so I assume that’s the problem of my aftermarket tubes,not the pcb of cdm

I'm talking not about CDM main board, but about individual small pcb for CDM tubes. Please, check the attached photos and see the small led in the center of the each pcb, located in the middle and under each tube - to make the glowing look more attractive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210106-183206_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210106-183206_Messenger.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back