The all new Continental Dual Mono
Mar 30, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #2,431 of 2,704
Today's rig.
20200330_125520.jpg

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,432 of 2,704
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #2,435 of 2,704
Hello Guys,

Looks like the CDM is out of production. I'm not sure if another is coming, but does anyone still suggest an used one as a good buy or another model?

PS.: I do have the Little Bear B4-X, but would line something "better quality", this is freaking easy to get Radio Frequency interference.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #2,436 of 2,704
Hello Guys,

Looks like the CDM is out of production. I'm not sure if another is coming, but does anyone still suggest an used one as a good buy or another model?

PS.: I do have the Little Bear B4-X, but would line something "better quality", this is freaking easy to get Radio Frequency interference.

...if you can find one! I think they're great little things. The DAC may well be considered "out of date" by many, but I don't find myself wishing I could listen with something that has more up to date silicon inside. Battery packs, tubes and mains adapters are all still sold by ALO. I guess the only other area that could be dodgy if picking up one second hand is the volume pot.

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #2,437 of 2,704
...if you can find one! I think they're great little things. The DAC may well be considered "out of date" by many, but I don't find myself wishing I could listen with something that has more up to date silicon inside. Battery packs, tubes and mains adapters are all still sold by ALO. I guess the only other area that could be dodgy if picking up one second hand is the volume pot.

Good to know, maybe i should get a spare battery pack because i plan on keeping the CDM for a long time.
I don't think it gets much better than Mojo+ CDM.
DSC_0983.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,438 of 2,704
Anyone looking to sell their CDM?

May 9, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2,439 of 2,704
Hi all, sorry it’s taken so long to respond following the helpful answers to my post regarding problems with the USB input.
I have opened up my CDM and it does indeed have the two components (resistors?) which need wires soldering across them to effectively remove them from the circuit to enable it to work with the digital output from my Apple iPhone + CCK.
This is a job I have no hope of doing myself so I guess it’s back to ALO? Unless anyone in the UK is qualified to do the work (I live in the North of England)?
To be honest it hasn’t seen much use due to the USB input being absolutely intolerable. However I have bought a couple of balanced sources recently so I’ve started using the CDM with analogue inputs, either from the balanced out of my Moon CD+DAC (now that I have a high quality custom adapter cable) or, as I’m listening to it right now from my AK240.
I was listening with my old “wood“ HE-560’s (first version with 2.5mm trs jack sockets) directly from the AK240 as the latter is still a fairly recent purchase and I just wanted to know how it performed. However, adding the CDM, even with a single ended interconnect cable (high quality pure silver), the jump in sound quality is remarkable! I think I’m falling in love with this combination... Listening to Vangelis’ Bladerunner soundtrack is always an emotional experience but the ALO CDM brings out all the micro details - the rich tone, texture and raw emotion of the Sax for instance - all with absolute clarity whilst maintaining a pitch black background. The soundstage is also much bigger in all dimensions with rock solid placements and clear space in between... such clarity! It’s hard to imagine putting an extra (tube!) component in the chain and gaining so much detail with no perceivable losses (to these ears at least)! I know the CDM is far better qualified to drive planars than the diminutive AK240 but still, quite a remarkable achievement from ALO.
So, now that I know what I’d be missing, it would be hard to live without this gorgeous sounding device for however many weeks or months it would take to get it across the pond and back -especially knowing that 90% of that time is spent just sitting in Customs!
You may be wondering, why do I need to get the work done if I don’t use the USB input? Well; a) I want to be able to use the CDM with my phone, and b) I just hate having anything that’s not fully functional!
There was going to be a c) because a) was gonna be the intention to sell. Unfortunately for those of you looking for a second hand CDM in mint condition I’m sorry to dash your hopes but now that mine is finally burning in and I’m hearing what it’s truly capable of, this particular unit is staying firmly in my possession - apart from the forthcoming journeys it will have to take on its own!
I’ll be sure to give my impressions on the DAC section when the necessary work has been done - whenever I can bear to part with my ALO Continental Dual Mono - however temporarily!

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,440 of 2,704
Well Alo Audio CDM still actual and for me still best on market. Tube rolling gives much discovering and new WOW effect of device. Yesterday got Sylvania 6021 Gold Brand. Yes they sweet but I can`t say they outbeat rest of my small zoo of tubes set. Still on delivery Sylvania 6112 Engenire samples, Sylvania 6111 Gold Brand and Sonotone 6111 with black plates. For now I have Sonotone 5719, Sylvania 6021 yeallow label, Mullard 6021, Sylvania 5719 Gold Brand, Phillips JAN 6021W. All of them have they own signature and can have place with different combinations of headphones. So don`t stop and try to find your own set of fav tubes):L3000:

May 19, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,442 of 2,704
Just dusted off my beloved CMD and about to rock my 6xx, with Campfire dropping their new lineup I hope they don’t faze out ALO Audio and there potable amps. Looking forward to what they can come up with next. Updateded CDM would be Awesome.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #2,445 of 2,704
Hello everyone!

Same as @tracyca i just dusted my CDM after a couple of month on the shelf. :deadhorse:

Such a beautiful and enjoyable DAC/Amp...!

However, i noticed that the bit-rate light is stuck on the lower level, even when playing DSD64 or 24/192 Flac.

Any idea what might have occured.

i hope the DAC section is OK.

thanks for your time and assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back