The all new Continental Dual Mono
Oct 14, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,126 of 2,704
Thanks for clarifying! Sounds like the iPhone 6 can output HiRes with or without an app/software.

Eg, I just received confirmation from another Headfi-ear that using a FLAC app will transport HiRes bit-perfect FLAC files out of the 6 into HiFi M8, for example.

But Im still trying to figure out if the ALO CDM will actually RECEIVE and PROCESS bit-perfect HiRes files, rather than down sample them to 16/44.

You're welcome. Prot also stated it, you Need the CCK for connecting the iPhone to your CDM via USB. Then the iPhone will Output every Hires File via an App, that allows Hires Playback. Vox Player for example is free and can Output Hires up to DSD.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,127 of 2,704

ZX2 Balanced output --> CDM balance Imput --> LCD2 Balanced Output

wow!

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #1,128 of 2,704
until today there is no confirmation from Sony if that is a true balanced output design
redface.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,129 of 2,704
  until today there is no confirmation from Sony if that is a true balanced output design
redface.gif

i don't care about Sony.
I love the sound... Any confirmation won't change it

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #1,131 of 2,704
I agree that you liking it is most important. then again, I myself would like to know if it is really balanced or not. But that should be audible, no?

To my ears there is a true difference when I use the zx2 with a trs or trrs plug.

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,132 of 2,704
i don't care about Sony.
I love the sound... Any confirmation won't change it

I believe the balanced 2.5mm input of CDM has a [6] db uplift and so it might account for the "better sound". Tested this with a 3.5mm TRS to 2.5 TRRS plug and it does sound louder and "better". I think the gain on the SE 3.5mm input is set too low.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,134 of 2,704
Anyone know what's the max input voltage of the cdm ? Today I fed the line out of the chord mojo to it and the music started to clip in weird ways. Had to lower it and the clipping is gone. Mojo was rated at 3v out so what is the max input can the cdm go before it gets overloaded ?

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,135 of 2,704
Anyone know what's the max input voltage of the cdm ? Today I fed the line out of the chord mojo to it and the music started to clip in weird ways. Had to lower it and the clipping is gone. Mojo was rated at 3v out so what is the max input can the cdm go before it gets overloaded ?

I read something from Rob Watts about clipping on the Mojo with 8 Ohms headsets which led into a redesign of the mojo output stage, but it is very surprizing to see this issue with an amp input which has a input high impedance. Sounds like the mojo is to be used for a very specific use case and is getting into trouble out of it.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,136 of 2,704

I won't say that this is not purely a Mojo issue since I'm still researching both these units (Mojo & CDM).

Just to play devils advocate: it could be a CDM Issue, a Mojo issue, or a combo issue, no?

It's hard for me to presume it's a Chord issue, given their general reputation, and that their DACs (at least for the Mojo and Hugo) are the main draw of the units. Eg, I can't imagine that Chord would create the Mojo and not consider that many users would be getting it for the excellent FPGA DAC, and use it in a stack with another (more powerful and refined) HP amp.

IOW, hard for me to believe that Chord would have such a high (and preclusive) output voltage that would significantly reduce its usability. I mean, usability and portability are supposed to be one of the main draws for the Mojo.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,137 of 2,704

Tassardar,

The input voltage of the CDM should not exceed 2.8v.

Thanks

Ken 

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,138 of 2,704
Tassardar,

The input voltage of the CDM should not exceed 2v.

Thanks

Ken 

Ken, the balanced output of the AK380 is about 2.3v, do you recommend having the volume down a couple notches from max?

I know you use that combo, what volume level of the balanced output of AK380 have you found works best with the CDM?

Thx

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,139 of 2,704
Ken, the balanced output of the AK380 is about 2.3v, do you recommend having the volume down a couple notches from max?

I know you use that combo, what volume level of the balanced output of AK380 have you found works best with the CDM?

Thx

No 2.3V is perfect, I will edit my original post.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back