The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #496 of 2,704
  Thinking about trying to pair up my Geek Pulse Infinity with the CDM, using the DAC from the Infinity with the amp of the CDM. 

Need to find a way to take the balanced output from the Infinity and feed it into the CDM. Looks like a 3-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS would work like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C0-TRRS-2-5mm-Balanced-To-3pin-XLR-Female-Silver-Cable-For-IRIVER-AK240ss-ak380-/261864305783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cf8543477

Assume it would be better to tap the 3-pin XLR outputs on the back than the 4-pin XLR headphone out on the front. 

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/pointers? 

Cheers 

yes, the pair of xlr at the back is line out.  if you tap from the headphones out of the front, you will be double amping

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #497 of 2,704
Fully Balanced setup...best I've heard my Roxannes sound, like full size headphones.  This setup is mostly for the HE1Ks (waiting on my prod set).  I like using the AK380 alone with the Roxannes.  

I do want to try a different IC, I think the 8 braid copper might be too much warmth with the tube amp.   

Mousepad doesn't get hot with the CDM, you can find them on Amazon.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #498 of 2,704
Was fooling around with my CDM and my LCD-3's today, having used my CDM exclusively with my K-10's so far. 

All I can say is wow - I never would have guessed the CDM would drive the big Audeze's so well! Plenty of power to drive them, and they sound really good. No trade-offs in going portable/transportable with the CDM and these full-sized cans IMO. 

Once again well done Ken - you're really on the ball 
wink_face.gif

Cheers

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #500 of 2,704
  Is there a charge indicator? I can't seem to find one so not sure how to tell if it is actually charging...

Thanks!

Fogsound,

LED is located on the charger, Red = charge in progress, Green = Fully charge / charge complete.

Thank you,

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 15, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #502 of 2,704
  Aha - Thanks Ken!

Loving the sound with LCD-X phones, even more than with my WA7. Really awesome work!

Music to my ears! :wink:

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 16, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #503 of 2,704
  mmmm.....sound sig is not the problem. It is the volume itself. At max of volume pot and high gain CDM  = just my normal listening volume. Same issue with the N6 and iBasso DX 100, but with my Sony PCM D100 = volume pot at around 60% at high gain for my normal listening volume. Interconnected with  3.5 mm. Whiplash via DAP line-out to CDM line-in. Damn.....I'm having great fun with the PCM D100 + CDM as I'm typing this post and they look handsome together (silver and silver/black).

I think my friend you are going deaf :D

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #504 of 2,704

yes, the pair of xlr at the back is line out.  if you tap from the headphones out of the front, you will be double amping

Not that double amping is necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on the signal feeding the amplifier input. If it's bad, it's bad: line out or otherwise. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #505 of 2,704
Mmm......hope not. Lol! It is not the volume relative to what you and I (or others) consider as loud enough. The issue is the volume and headroom of the Cayin N6 and the DX 100 relative to the Sony PCM D100 and, I might add, the AK 240, which are just fine. As I've explained, with the Sony and CDM, there is no problem. I can still turn the volume pot to ear-splitting level. Why the significant discrepancy? I am hoping that a CDM owner out therr with the same DAPs as mine can confirm or debunk my observations.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #506 of 2,704
I have only used it with AK120II and AK240 so far, SE and Balanced. Will try DX90 in a bit for you, can try a couple of Fiio DAPs and ipods later as well if needed

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #509 of 2,704
  Fully Balanced setup...best I've heard my Roxannes sound, like full size headphones.  This setup is mostly for the HE1Ks (waiting on my prod set).  I like using the AK380 alone with the Roxannes.  

I do want to try a different IC, I think the 8 braid copper might be too much warmth with the tube amp.   

Nice !

Here you are using the Internal A&K DAC, and the Dual Mono just as an AMP.  

Have you also tried going digital from the AK380 to the ALO in order to use ALO's DAC instead of A&K's DAC ?  

--> Did you compared booth DACs ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back