The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jul 14, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #482 of 2,704
mmm......a very good closed-back transportable/portable rig (ak240, CDM , FAD PHvi), when you are out and about: lush, rich, airy soundstage, highly musical and good sound isolation:

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #485 of 2,704
  Don't have the Tera, sorry

OK - looks like I'll have to buy one to try then
redface.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #486 of 2,704
Jul 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #488 of 2,704
Home Audio - $10,000 will get you a high end power conditioner, or a decent DAC, or a high end cartridge or perhaps some really good speaker cables and interconnects. I think to have the set up in that post to equal sound wise in a home audio set up you would be looking at easy $100,000. 

I am so happy we have a few good review outlets working and healthy.

KB

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #489 of 2,704
I've been listening to the CDM with stock tubes for 2 full days now (at work with the EL-8 O ). Installing the drivers for DSD playback was pretty easy and all is running smooth so far
It sounds really good and it keeps my coffee warm, what's not to like. I kid I kid.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #490 of 2,704
mmm.......not sure if this is normal/by design: but both the iBasso DX 100 and the Cayin N6 DAP have weak volume (even with high gain, full volume of CDM) when paired with the CDM via line-out of dap to 3.5 mm. line-in of CDM. The Sony PCM D100 fared significantly  better/have better headroom. Headphone used: Audeze EL8 Open (unbalanced). By weak volume, I mean normal listening but no further. I like the extra headroom (normal listening volume = 50 to 60% of volume pot). Reason: need open backs to sound louder in noisy environment. Any CDM owner experiencing the same? Or am I committing a rookie mistake? <scratching head>.........iBasso DX 100 or  Cayin N6 + CDM = good pairing. Sony PCM D100 + CDM (with EL8 Open/Norne Solv X) = much better   awesome bassssssssssss!

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #491 of 2,704
  mmm.......not sure if this is normal/by design: but both the iBasso DX 100 and the Cayin N6 DAP have weak volume (even with high gain, full volume of CDM) when paired with the CDM via line-out of dap to 3.5 mm. line-in of CDM. The Sony PCM D100 fared significantly  better/have better headroom. Headphone used: Audeze EL8 Open (unbalanced). By weak volume, I mean normal listening but no further. I like the extra headroom (normal listening volume = 50 to 60% of volume pot). Reason: need open backs to sound louder in noisy environment. Any CDM owner experiencing the same? Or am I committing a rookie mistake? <scratching head>.........iBasso DX 100 or  Cayin N6 + CDM = good pairing. Sony PCM D100 + CDM (with EL8 Open/Norne Solv X) = much better   awesome bassssssssssss!

not really sure ... n6 > cdm maybe a little too warm sounding.  will give it a try tomorrow and revert. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #492 of 2,704
mmmm.....sound sig is not the problem. It is the volume itself. At max of volume pot and high gain CDM  = just my normal listening volume. Same issue with the N6 and iBasso DX 100, but with my Sony PCM D100 = volume pot at around 60% at high gain for my normal listening volume. Interconnected with  3.5 mm. Whiplash via DAP line-out to CDM line-in. Damn.....I'm having great fun with the PCM D100 + CDM as I'm typing this post and they look handsome together (silver and silver/black).

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #494 of 2,704
mmm....yes, I'm sure. On the DX 100, the line out is between the phone and the gain slider switch, while on the N6, it is to the left of the headphone out with the DAP facing you  and is marked with an icon (box with arrow out to denote line-out). On the PCM D100 (which seems to be working just fine), the analog line out/optical out is separate from the headphone out. Also, the volume controls on the N6 and DX100 are deactivated (line-out active).  I'm having a sms discussion right now with Egghead (my dealer for the  CDM here in Manila) and his theory is some DAPs have a stronger voltage preout which results in stronger amplification. Also, we're wondering: is the CDM tuned/optimized for iems or iems and full-size HPs? He suggested using fully balanced system for the CDM (for instant db gain). Again, by weak volume, I mean max everything results in normal listening volume (for me) and no more headroom in reserve. I'm not expecting the CDM to be as powerful as the iFi iDSD Micro but it is just a small concern of mine since I plan to use the CDM with my headphones, most of which are unbalanced. I did not want to post here pending a test of both DAPs (N6 and DX 100) with another CDM unit. Unfortunately, Egghead already sold his last unit yesterday. Thus, the s.o.s.

On an unrelated note, I am reiterating my request for an answer: can I safely recharge my CDM off a power bank, specifically this: http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/universal-chargers/xp18000a.php

If power bank recharging is not possible/unsafe: then I guess I have to rely on my power inverter (to convert from DC to AC) to recharge the CDM while driving. Bummer. As of now, the 5 hours I'm getting is simply not enough for me. Call me a CDM addict.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #495 of 2,704
Thinking about trying to pair up my Geek Pulse Infinity with the CDM, using the DAC from the Infinity with the amp of the CDM. 

Need to find a way to take the balanced output from the Infinity and feed it into the CDM. Looks like a 3-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS would work like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C0-TRRS-2-5mm-Balanced-To-3pin-XLR-Female-Silver-Cable-For-IRIVER-AK240ss-ak380-/261864305783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cf8543477

Assume it would be better to tap the 3-pin XLR outputs on the back than the 4-pin XLR headphone out on the front. 

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/pointers? 

Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back