The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jun 20, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #286 of 2,704
mmm.......BUY a laptop that is not noisy. It's not the job of the CDM to make your lousy source sound clean/silent. My Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is silent as a church mouse. No need for USB whatchamacallit.

That's one way to look at it.
OTOH, a computer is not an audio device, its only job is to process and deliver databits..and the main reason why external/separate DACs exist is to deal with the noise from the player/source. It's one of the most important advantages of an external DAC, most of them do that pretty well and it's a must have feature in this price range.
Also, what's the purpose of carrying a huge battery inside the CDM if the electrical noise from the source is not dealt with?

Hopefully the reviews will come in soon and we'll know then if the CDM does it right and is worth the price.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #288 of 2,704
Mmm.......false alarm. What was delivered today  by the courier to my fave headfi dealer was the Cypher Labs Trio Tube amp. Damn.......no CDM in sight! Can't wait to pair it with the PMx2 (pairs really well with tube amps like the WA7 Fireflies). 

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #290 of 2,704
Hey y'all - this is my first post.  I joined Head-Fi just because of this thread - and the CDM.  Absolutely looking forward to it!  

Question for Vinnie:  If you have the DAC plugged into a Mac laptop, can you control the volume of the DAC w/ the volume keys on the keyboard?  (You could on the ALO PanAm DAC...)  Fingers crossed hoping that you can... I understand that it degrades the sound slightly, but it's soooo convenient!  Thx! 

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #291 of 2,704
  Hey y'all - this is my first post.  I joined Head-Fi just because of this thread - and the CDM.  Absolutely looking forward to it!  

Question for Vinnie:  If you have the DAC plugged into a Mac laptop, can you control the volume of the DAC w/ the volume keys on the keyboard?  (You could on the ALO PanAm DAC...)  Fingers crossed hoping that you can... I understand that it degrades the sound slightly, but it's soooo convenient!  Thx! 

Hi laserjock,

We appreciate your enthusiasm for the CDM -  welcome to Headfi! 

When using the CDM's USB dac with your Mac, the volume control keys on the keyboard are disabled.  This was done
intentionally in the firmware to make sure the computer's volume control (in the digital domain) is not in the loop and degrading
audio quality.

So to adjust volume, you'll need to use the CDM's volume knob (analog domain) - which hopefully you'll find to be still convenient
if you have your CMD nearby on the desk
wink.gif

Vinnie

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #292 of 2,704
Ken:  any word on when you guys will be shipping the CDM?  I pre-ordered one already and really looking forward to using it.  I chose it over a pre-owned Hugo.

Thank you!

CJ
:)

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #293 of 2,704
  Ken:  any word on when you guys will be shipping the CDM?  I pre-ordered one already and really looking forward to using it.  I chose it over a pre-owned Hugo.

Thank you!

CJ

CJ,

Thanks for your patience, we expect to fill the preorders early next week if not sooner.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #294 of 2,704
CJ,

Thanks for your patience, we expect to fill the preorders early next week if not sooner.

Thanks

Ken

Thanks, Ken!

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #296 of 2,704
Same we ar
  mmmm.......asking also: when can we expect the CDM in Southeast Asia (through your distributors)? I hope its not in 2016.

Same, we are shooting to ship to them also next week or earlier....

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 25, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #298 of 2,704
I mostly listen to Tidal. However there is some music that is not available for streaming and therefore will be played from Apple's upcoming Apple Music service. My question to this forum is if I am not listening to HIFI music is it worth dropping $1500 on the CDM and a pair of HD800's?

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #299 of 2,704
  I mostly listen to Tidal. However there is some music that is not available for streaming and therefore will be played from Apple's upcoming Apple Music service. My question to this forum is if I am not listening to HIFI music is it worth dropping $1500 on the CDM and a pair of HD800's?

I used the CDM and my 1964Q to listen to some Spotify tracks and I was very happy with the results. Dunno how the CDM will do with the HD800 since I haven't heard the two together but the CDM was wonderful even with poorly mastered streaming files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back