The all new Continental Dual Mono
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,465 of 2,704
So, below my early impressions regarding CV3986 tubes after a few listening sessions. First session was very short, just about 3-4 songs only. There were no any magic sound even after 10 min of heating while listening the music. The sound was not typical for CDM, sounds some like jammed. Sound stage was narrow, vocals have been laid back. But low ends goes more deep and have more detailed layering comparing with stock tubes and even with Sonotones 5719 while not so tight and fast. But with my previous experience, tubes probably need about 1-2 hours burning time after first installed. Next listening session was more than 45 mins and finally tubes become sounding better! Lows becomes more tighter, not as dry and fast as stock tubes, but more organic and beefy. Mids not as forwarded as Sonotones. Treble not extended and sounds smoother, while having decent details in this region. I have some songs with fatiguing trebles, so using CDM with such tubes I can listening this tracks without any discomfort. IMHO CV3986 suits for genres like EDM, modern pop music, blues and some jazz track and other music with rich lower ends. I think this tubes fairly universal type, particularly if you are listening not very quality mastered hi res tracks. But for classic music, good recorded jazz, vocals and for more examining listening I would definitely prefer Sonotones 5719 because of their focusing on mids and treble, more air and crisp sound, wider soundstage. But CV 3986 also very nice tubes, driving rock concert records will force you dancing and jumping with hordes of people! I have been listening this tubes mostly with Legend X and Centrance Cerene dB. IMHO they are good for HF and iems having dry and monitor sound like Cerene dB, it will add some juice for them, or demanding in lower frequencies region, like Legends. Unfortunately I do not like this tubes with my current ciem Ambient Accoustics AM10c. That’s why this journey to be continued...

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,466 of 2,704
Ready player three!

68ED0247-A48E-49E5-AD71-7ADEED8DBF33.jpeg

they are single triode RCA 5718 tubes ready to be installed into CDM.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #2,468 of 2,704
Does anyone know where we can actually buy a CDM?
It seems that the CDM is no longer in production. ALO doesn't have any model of portable amps available for sale, and has not announced any plans to make new ones. Your best bet is to keep an eye on the Head-fi classifieds. Or you can post your own " want to buy" listing there.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #2,469 of 2,704
i guess selling uiem makes tremendous profit, they will not produce anymore, this was why $999 clearance sales last year

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #2,470 of 2,704
ALO appears to have left the portable amplifier business behind. It's quite a shame, really, since they made (make) some of the best portable amps in the business.

I sold my CDM several months back, and I've regretted doing so ever since.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #2,471 of 2,704
Lucky I bought one battery pack for CDM. Just replaced it.
Not so lucky for CV5.
I told them how come they don't make new batteries for CDM and CV5 anymore?
They said to check back website from time to time.
Still saving CDM with some pair of tubes. Not sure if I want to sell it yet.....

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,473 of 2,704
I just checked the ALO audio website and they are still selling CDM (no glasses) but it says coming soon...???
No, that's the old product listing. When you look at the actual " shop" section, CDM is not listed. The "coming soon" refers to the customer comments, which were never actually posted. It's a bit odd that CDM still shows in the product listings. Would be great if there was another limited run,but I suspect the last one was just to use up all of the remaining CDM amp internals.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #2,474 of 2,704
Lucky I bought one battery pack for CDM. Just replaced it.
Not so lucky for CV5.
I told them how come they don't make new batteries for CDM and CV5 anymore?
They said to check back website from time to time.
Still saving CDM with some pair of tubes. Not sure if I want to sell it yet.....
There is ordinary 18650 li ion cells wrapped in 3s configuration. You can buy 3 cells with psb, and replace original battery pack cells. I would recommend Sanyo cells.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #2,475 of 2,704
I tried to purchase the CDM from E1 last night, they refunded me. Their stock wasn't accurate and therefore it wasn't in stock. I am strongly considering a WA8 Eclipse now, I'm aware of the poor battery life. Can anyone steer me away from it to wait for a used CDM based on sound quality comparisons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back