1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The all new Continental Dual Mono

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by kb, Mar 26, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156
158 159 160 161 162
Next

Last
  1. thecrow
    I haven’t heard of it having changed or at least I haven’t read anything here.

2. singleended5863
    I like the beauty of glass version and don’t think their SQ are significantly different.

3. choisan
    agreed, the new look stopped me to buy

4. ekfc63
    My guess is that the new enclosure with no gorilla glass is cheaper to make and helped ALO drop the price of the new version of the CDM significantly. Don't think there is any difference in sound.

choisan likes this.
  5. choisan
    or they are going to launch a new version so a limited version is what a manufacturer always does. i have no idea how much it was originally? please kindly advise!

6. singleended5863
    I guess the glass version was around $1400.00. Then it was on sale at the end of 2018 for $999.00. I took advantage of that the snapped one in maroon color. Then beginning 2019 ALO Audio came out the new limited version without glass.

7. choisan
    thanks for the info, so the old version and the new limited version actually the same price at that transition period. the used price should be way less.
    btw, the maroon color is very nice

also, i asked for comment about cdm from a friend. he said the cdm is too powerful for iem, but not power enough for a big headphone such as hdxxx

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  8. singleended5863
    When I was looking for used one before getting a good deal one it was around $800-$850 in the sale trade thread.

9. choisan
    probably $800- $850 not a good deal now with just less than $199 from a brand new one

10. thecrow
    I found my cdm worked well with all my headphones except lcd2 where power fell short

the hps i used were focal spirit pros, shure 846, elear and very decent with hd800

i only tried it with my hd800 after reading this
    https://www.headphone.guru/the-alo-continental-dual-mono/

11. vlach
    It's not too powerful for iems. Just put it on low gain and adjust the volume accordingly.

all999 likes this.
  12. choisan
    what do you have after selling cdm?

13. thecrow
    as a portable I am simply using my iphone which I have found is good enough for my 30-45 minute commute to work on a train/bus
    imho there is nothing wrong with using the iphone though a slightly smoother sound with a little more nuance is always appreciated

I am considering the kann cube if i have available ("surplus") funds.
    I did like the sound of it but it's not something i REALLY need considering how much I would use it but.......i do like the sound.
    The kann cube is quite powerful so would suit full sized headphones too...though i don't really need it for home

most of my $ goes into my home system/full headphones - during this year I have bough the hekse and empyrean.
    I'm still undecided if I am going to keep the empyrean though - bought it a month ago

choisan likes this.
  14. Seamaster
    Update of my old version CDM with glass. It has been wonderful with Mullard tubes, it just sounds so "right". I sold my McIntosh D150 after I have owned both for more than 2 years. The CDM is on pair with Border Patrol DAC SEi.

15. tracyca
    Yes, the CDM is wonderfully made and wonderful sounding. I love this amp. Plus tube rolling is fun.

First

Back
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156
158 159 160 161 162
Next

Last