1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The all new Continental Dual Mono

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by kb, Mar 26, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152
154 155 156 157 158
Next

Last
  1. kukkurovaca
    Sonotones run at a significantly more reasonable temperature, especially if you regularly use the CDM's DAC section.

2. singleended5863
    I am a newbie and have questions about rolling tubes for the CDM I just bought. Are you using the stock adapter or bought the new ones? Thanks.

3. singleended5863
    Where did you get the Sonotones? It looks like aloaudio doesn’t have any Sonotones for sale in their website?!

4. kukkurovaca
    When I checked the site earlier it said they were not in stock but available to back order. Look in the tube section.

5. EJD87
    I recently purchased a used CDM. It sounds great being fed directly out of USB from my PC, but I do have a couple of questions if any of you all could help me out.

1) There is an audible crackling sound when music is playing, particularly with more "energetic" tracks (like metal). Coming from a Schiit Jotunheim, which is fully solid state, and never having used an amplifier with tubes before, I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I should be concerned. I believe the tubes are stock, and lightly used. Is this a quirk of tube amps, or do I need to buy new tubes? Typically this settles down after the first half hour or so of being turned on after a long break, so maybe the tubes are just warming up?

2) The balanced input is interesting. I realize it's for portable players with balanced line out, but could I connect an external DAC with balanced output to the CDM, using a dual XLR3 to TRRS 2.5mm adapter? Would this create a ground hum, and if so, how could I correct that?

6. singleended5863
    Did you charge any devices while doing this?

7. kukkurovaca
    When you get the crackling, are you using the DAC section? I sometimes get funky noise with Tidal and the CDM's DAC, probably b/c of driver nonsense.

8. EJD87
    Yeah, it's connected to my PC via USB, so the DAC is being used, and I also notice it while using Tidal.

9. thecrow
    That noise might simply be radio freq interference.

If you move the cdm around when playing it might softer and louder. I get that when using with my iphone when in transit. Some areas worse tfan others and if i move it a little away from my phone (the source) as much as i can then that helps

10. singleended5863
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  11. paulgc
  12. vlach
    Yeah, me too.

13. tracyca
    For all basshead lovers with a CDM, the tube for you is Raytheon 6832 1960 triple mica. WOW makes my k3003i sound like a full-size can. The great thing also is the highs are great with this tube. I must say the CDM is the best Audio kit I ever bought! Real talk, I’m having fun tube hunting for these rare tubes.

14. tracyca
    The Raytheon 6832 has yellow print plus is big bottle like the 6bf7 big fatty.

15. singleended5863
    Where did you get them? Any links available? Thank you.

First

Back
143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152
154 155 156 157 158
Next

Last