The all new Continental Dual Mono
Apr 7, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #2,221 of 2,704
Out of curiosity, are those who tried and disliked the Aeon with the CDM using balanced or single-ended? The CDM is definitely underpowered for driving T50RP based headphones in single-ended, but I haven't been able to try them balanced.

Good results though with dynamic driver headphones run balanced (HD800), and also good results with the Audeze iSine. (Planar, but not so power hungry.)

I recently got a Phatlab Phantasy (an even less portable "portable" tube amp than the CDM, lol), and that's much more able to drive T50RPs. I imagine the Sassy, which is their hybrid model, might be even better for those headphones with high power requirements.

IMG_0569.jpg

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,222 of 2,704
Which DAC do you recommend for paring with AFC? My DAP is DX200 with amp1.

I meant that 'in general' it depends which DAC you feed the CDM with, not just for the AFC (which i haven't heard btw).
I think the CDM's biggest strength is its amp section and it doesn't reach its full potential until fed by a full size DAC.
For example, fed by my AK120ll it is very average. Fed by my Monarchy NM24 with a 2.5V line output level it is so good that in fact i prefer it to my BHA-1. The mids are full, rich and glorious!

Edit: When fed by my Monarchy NM24, the CDM drives my HD800, T1 and HE-500 very well.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #2,225 of 2,704
Sounds like you use other CDM in dac mode . Very warm but not as resolving when used in amp mode fed balanced imho. Glad it’s still working wonders for you . Still want to hear about those new tubes. Get em soldered up and take a video so I can learn. Thanks .

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #2,227 of 2,704
@tracyca I've been following your posts re your tube trials with great interest. Thanks for taking the time to share your results. How did you like the Telefunken tubes?

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #2,228 of 2,704
Thank you, I still have not sent them in for mounting to pcb, I have been lagging. I have a fist full of new tubes like 5718 Mullard but recently purchased a felkis audio espressivo mk2 and been searching for tube deals on that unit.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #2,231 of 2,704
That is why the CDM is so great, you can always change the tubes back if you don't like them. To my ears the sylvania 6021 gold brand has fast impactful bass with lush Mids, and the top end has sparkle without getting to sharp. To my ears it beats the Mullard 6021 from top to bottom.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #2,234 of 2,704
Bedtime with CDM sylvania gold brand 6021, AKG k3003i from my IPod touch 5th gen. Spotify Viva Latino playlist. I guess I will get no sleep tonite. These Sylvania gold brand 6021 make the CDM sound like a full size tube amp! These tubes are my favorite pair of tubes out of my collection.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #2,235 of 2,704
Hi all
new charger received all good. I ordered Sonotone tubes as well.

I have an issue with my CDM.
It is working perfectly with USB input but when I want to connect my dap to the 3.5mm stereo input, no sound.
Of course I switch the input selection to the right .

What could be the reason? Since it works fine with USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back