the album that grew on you
Oct 27, 2002 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
do you have an album that you didn't care for on first listening? for me it would be the beta band "the beta band". it is the album after the fanastic "3 e.p.'s".

the first time i heard "the beta band" album i thought it was a mess. it hardly seemed like these guys were even trying. then after a few more listenings i realized that was the point. there is a loose, unfinished feel to the songs, but also driving, hypnotic rhythms and vocals. at times the songs build like old pink floyd. to be honest the bband sounds a little drunk on this one, as their attempts to freestyle "rap" show. this album also has moments that make me laugh out loud--especially their rapping, and playing penny whistles and other odd things (at one point i swear i hear someone running with scissors). in "the beta band rap" the album is dedicated to scotland, their home.

this has gone from my least favorite to a cd in heavy rotation. what are yours?

Oct 28, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 21
Bright Eyes - LIFTED

This one comes with a story...

My girlfriend's friend recommended we go see this band for one of her other friend's birthdays, so we decided to get the CD before going to get a taste of the music (it's less complicated then it seems..) The first time I heard the CD, I was thinking to myself... what did I just waste my money on?! But after a couple of concerted listenings, and after reading the lyrics, I started warming up to them. After the concert, I've found myself really liking the album (and though this happens often, I haven't experienced it to this extenet before).

Oct 28, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 21
Tori Amos - Boys for Pele

More or less bought it on a whim because I had a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, kind of. Listened to it a few times and was like "man, this is too weird", though I liked a few of the songs. And so my CD collection continued to grow, and this album was lost in the pile for a few months before I dusted it off and gave it another listen, and then it was like "hey, this is kinda cool, if a bit weird". And each time I listened to it I found more stuff to like about it, and the weirdness factor faded, and now it's one of my fave CDs.

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 21
Smashing pumpkins - Mellan Collie

- This is one of those rare albums you have to slowly learn to know and understand. I imagine it will be an album that, when I get old, will make me feel absolutely young again. You know - that unique rush of emotion some albums give you...

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
flaming lips - "soft bulletin"

took awhile but eventually became one of my favorite albums...

Hm...

I have that one sitting around on my computer somewhere... Maybe I'll have to dig it out and give it a re-listen...

Oct 28, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 21
Radiohead - OK Computer

I was sorta young when I first heard this, so I didn't completely understand it or like all the songs. Eventually I fell in love with it though.

Oct 28, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Smashing pumpkins - Mellan Collie

Okedoke -- damn it, I told myself I couldn't stand the album -- but I'm gonna give it a whirl again.

My album that grew on me was Radiohead - Amnesiac. Hated it at first.. but now, I just love it. So hopefully, Flasken has done something here to make that double-disc SP album grow on me.

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
Radiohead - OK Computer

I was sorta young when I first heard this, so I didn't completely understand it or like all the songs. Eventually I fell in love with it though.

My brother bought this for me as a birthday present quite a few years back. I must have been turning 11 or 12. Anyways, I really liked Paranoid Android and Karma Police, but didn't really appreciate it. I guess it was too different from anything else I'd heard.

I picked it up from my shelf years later, and needless to say after I gave it a twice-through, the songs had grown on me a lot.

Oct 29, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 21
Tool Laterauls. Took about 12 listens for me to even begin to like the album.

Black Sabbath Born Again. With Ian Gillan singing. Very heavy album with obsured sound quality. Drums sounded like mush. Guitar could hardly be heard at times. Good album though.

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro

Holy smokes brother -- that was an immediate growth on me.. like, the first note.

Oct 29, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 21
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Aphex Twin - Richard D James Album (I hated this for about a month, when suddenly it was my favorite record)
Slayer - Reign in blood when i first bought it i couldnt STAND it. But now, I like it.

Oct 29, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro

I've listened to that one about 6 times and I still hate it.
No Doubt-Rock Steady grew on me after a couple of listens, I like it pretty well but, still not a favorite.
Cradle of Filth-Cruelty and The Beast, I kinda liked it at first but now that I have heard it 7 or 8 times it is my favorite by far. This is such intense music and what a story it tells
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back