The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #4,531 of 4,580
How do you feel them 2 (Ember and Vali) compare? My top favorite hybrid would be the I+, which sounds more colored and IME benefits more from tube rolling than the Vali 2, but I’ve never really compare them to the Ember.
If comparing only with the K7XX then Ember and Vali2 about the same but this is going from memory since I don't have access to a Vali2 anymore (friend sold hers, replaced with a Ember). If you have other headphones then the Ember is quite a bit better suited since you can change the output impedance to better match most headphones you have but there are a few headphones like the HD800, T1gen1 and HE560 that do sound better to me with other amps over the Ember. I consider the Ember one of the better "jack of all trades, master of a few" kind of amp.

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,532 of 4,580
Just got a nice deal on a pair of K7XX’s from a fellow head-fi’er. Really digging them so far. They sound great through my Woo Audio WA6.

They don’t quite get to the level of detail that my Grados can achieve but still a very enjoyable listen. Especially with modern music like EDM and hip hop. Comfort is much better of course.

Cable seems a little cheap but not a huge deal for me.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #4,533 of 4,580
Just got a nice deal on a pair of K7XX’s from a fellow head-fi’er. Really digging them so far. They sound great through my Woo Audio WA6.

They don’t quite get to the level of detail that my Grados can achieve but still a very enjoyable listen. Especially with modern music like EDM and hip hop. Comfort is much better of course.

Cable seems a little cheap but not a huge deal for me.
How does the LD 1+ sound with the K7XX?

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #4,536 of 4,580
Just ordered mine from Massdrop, can some kind soul recommend a cable upgrade thanks?
The stock cable is decent but if you want longer or shorter then look on Amazon or Ebay as there are quite a few out there.

Only issue is can't get a balanced cable unless you mod the jack from 3 pin mini-XLR to 4 pin mini-XLR (which is a PITA to do)

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #4,537 of 4,580
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #4,538 of 4,580
I bought the AKG K7XX almost a year ago and initially really liked their wide soundstage and overall sound. However over time they became rather dull and boring sounding that just made them difficult to listen to. The most puzzling thing to me was how hard these cans are to drive. I need to ramp up the volume knob as high as I do with my 300 ohm Sennheisers in order to get them sounding decent. As the months slipped by I found myself listening less and less to them, finally relegating them to TV watching on one of my setups.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to contact Massdrop to see if there might actually be an issue with my specific pair. Without hesitation they sent me another pair so that I could compare them. The replacement pair definitely has more treble presence and clarity giving music more life. Not sure what was up with that first pair but I really appreciated the terrific support from Massdrop.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #4,541 of 4,580
Agree, and AKG 7XX phones are known hard to drive well.

I feel like they aren't too bad to drive. You can't drive them properly from anything super small (O2), but most dedicated amps I've had/tried did a good job. The O2 does a decent job.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #4,542 of 4,580
I feel like they aren't too bad to drive. You can't drive them from anything super small (O2), but most dedicated amps I've had/tried did a good job.
Just pulled the trigger on these, and I'll be using the Emotiva pt-100 preamp/DAC and the A-100 Flex amp to power them. Obviously plenty of gas; just hope it's gas that the AKG's will like.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #4,544 of 4,580
Just pulled the trigger on these, and I'll be using the Emotiva pt-100 preamp/DAC and the A-100 Flex amp to power them. Obviously plenty of gas; just hope it's gas that the AKG's will like.

Don't fret, the K7XX are easy to drive. I drive them from all my amps (except the Auditor) and they do well on them all. Even the O2 does a decent job (lacks the current).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,545 of 4,580
I bought the AKG K7XX almost a year ago and initially really liked their wide soundstage and overall sound. However over time they became rather dull and boring sounding that just made them difficult to listen to. The most puzzling thing to me was how hard these cans are to drive. I need to ramp up the volume knob as high as I do with my 300 ohm Sennheisers in order to get them sounding decent. As the months slipped by I found myself listening less and less to them, finally relegating them to TV watching on one of my setups.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to contact Massdrop to see if there might actually be an issue with my specific pair. Without hesitation they sent me another pair so that I could compare them. The replacement pair definitely has more treble presence and clarity giving music more life. Not sure what was up with that first pair but I really appreciated the terrific support from Massdrop.

Update: Sound wise regarding my replacement pair they still sound much clearer than my initial pair. However the big improvement is the build quality that I've noticed. Gone is the squeaking sound coming from the cups and cable connection every time I moved when listening to my original pair. Fit is much better as well, gone is the drooping that I had with the original pair as this replacement pair sit perfectly on my head with the cups comfortably clamped and resting around my ears. This is a much better set of headphones. Makes me wonder what in the hell was wrong with that first pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back