The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 2, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #4,291 of 4,580
Has anyone ever hooked up their K7XX's to a Sound Blaster Omni?  I'm using mine with a ModMic as my PS4 headset, and I'd like to get an amp/DAC that has a mic input.  I like the footprint and price range of the Omni (although I would get an X7 if I had the money).

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #4,292 of 4,580
  Has anyone ever hooked up their K7XX's to a Sound Blaster Omni?  I'm using mine with a ModMic as my PS4 headset, and I'd like to get an amp/DAC that has a mic input.  I like the footprint and price range of the Omni (although I would get an X7 if I had the money).

Given that it's powered by USB, it's not sufficient. You can use the omni for mic duty and a DAC/Amp like the DAC-X6 on massdrop (drops often) you don't need everything to be creative

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4,293 of 4,580
I got my AKG K7XX and I am very pleased with the sound, I need amp now. What do you think about Sound BlasterX G5?

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-g5

Experience so far... :

PC integrated sound - SAD :frowning2:
Nexus 5X                  - SO&SO
iPhone 6s                  - OK
iPad Air                     - GOOD

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,294 of 4,580
  I got my AKG K7XX and I am very pleased with the sound, I need amp now. What do you think about Sound BlasterX G5?

Experience so far... :

if using for gaming then it might work as the G5 is designed for gaming surround sound, if for music I would suggest looking at something else

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #4,295 of 4,580

Experience so far... :

A Fiio A3 would probably help a lot and likely cost less.

If you can't find one in your company, try ordering from Penon Audio: http://penonaudio.com/FiiO-E11K%20?search=fiio%20a3

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #4,296 of 4,580
Asus STX sounds really nice with AKG K7XX(I borrowed it from a friend for unlimited time :D ) . Still considering Sound BlasterX G5 just for comparison. Anyway,  what do you think about this video - is Sennheiser  really a nice upgrade over AKG K7XX, all the details and stuff on a 6XX?

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #4,297 of 4,580
  Asus STX sounds really nice with AKG K7XX(I borrowed it from a friend for unlimited time :D ) . Still considering Sound BlasterX G5 just for comparison. Anyway,  what do you think about this video - is Sennheiser  really a nice upgrade over AKG K7XX, all the details and stuff on a 6XX?

While I've never tried the SB G5, I used to have a STX when I was gaming a lot.  The STX is good for most gaming head sets but is not really designed to drive the HD-650/600 properly IMO.  The K7XX is a great headphone for the price but its still not in the same league as the HD-650 due to recessed mids and slightly grainier highs.  It does have a better sound stage and better positional audio if playing games and its easier to drive properly compared to the HD-650.  The genre of music that you like will also influence the choice between them, for classical, movies, and genres with a wide sound stage the K7XX would be my choice, for all else the HD-650, but only if it properly driven, to me that's my BH Crack or Ember.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,298 of 4,580
  While I've never tried the SB G5, I used to have a STX when I was gaming a lot.  The STX is good for most gaming head sets but is not really designed to drive the HD-650/600 properly IMO.  The K7XX is a great headphone for the price but its still not in the same league as the HD-650 due to recessed mids and slightly grainier highs.  It does have a better sound stage and better positional audio if playing games and its easier to drive properly compared to the HD-650.  The genre of music that you like will also influence the choice between them, for classical, movies, and genres with a wide sound stage the K7XX would be my choice, for all else the HD-650, but only if it properly driven, to me that's my BH Crack or Ember.

Uh ... What?
The HD650 is the veiled can of the two and it has grainier treble. Plus it's dark. The K7XX is not that.

Also, K7XX is VERY hard to drive. It is incredibly inefficient and on the same amp the HD650 will be WAY easier to drive loudly.

And if you are wondering what my amp is,

You'd be right if you swapped HD650's and K7XX's places.

The K7XX is actually better than the HD6XX/HD650. It has a better soundstage, less congested and not as veiled mids and it has a generally good soundstage

And I heard a HD650 for a significant amount of time. Many times. One time in Jaben SG, One time in Jaben HK for a few hours at Zeppelin & Co and it's still dark.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #4,299 of 4,580
It isn't too hard to drive the K7xx to lisenable volume, but the mids and bass will suffer if under-amped. Which happens when I drive my K7xx with my hybrid Little Dot I+. I was under the impression that a lot of solid-state cans would be able to drive it well but I was wrong. So far my Hugo have no problem driving the K7xx though. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #4,300 of 4,580
Massdrop is having another AKG K7xx drop right now on black ones with red outlines.
Received an email from them this morning inviting me to join the drop.
Check it out.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #4,302 of 4,580
How are these for classical: orchestral, chamber, piano, opera?

One of the best in the price range for orchestral due to its sound stage and proficiency with string instruments, and very good for piano.  Probably doesn't have an ideal sound stage for chamber?  No idea about opera.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #4,304 of 4,580
Hey guys, I recently purchased a K7XX which I'm yet to receive and was looking out for a DAC/AMP to pair it with. Now, the issue is that for the moment I need something portable, so I can use it on the go (with other cans, obviously) as well. I understand I might not be able to drive them to full potential but I'm willing to compromise a little.

This is my shortlist, if anyone has experience pairing the K7XX with any of the following and could let me know a few comments I'd be very grateful!

- Oppo HA-2 (SE)
- Fiio E18
- Cayin C5DAC
- Shanling H3
- Dragonfly Black / Red
- Fiio X3 ii (yes, it's a DAP, I'm considering this option as well)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back