The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Sep 26, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #4,246 of 4,580
  The xiaomi pistons 2 is harsh, the 3 is muddy and the **** UE is splashy.

You might want to try the KZ ZS3 and the S3.

Or you can just jump straight to the Shozy Zero ...

I was thinking the KZ ZST (BA + DD driver) like the **** UE and **** 4in1. I still want to get this AKG K7XX? How are the female vocals, witch house, dream pop and hip hop in this AKG?
  While I don't normally use my X3ii with my K7XX its a pretty good sounding pairing.

Thank you, can't seem to find any posts regarding this combo though. Both are like bang for buck audio equipment in this day and age. Hmms, 

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #4,247 of 4,580
I was thinking the KZ ZST (BA + DD driver) like the **** UE and **** 4in1. I still want to get this AKG K7XX? How are the female vocals, witch house, dream pop and hip hop in this AKG?
Thank you, can't seem to find any posts regarding this combo though. Both are like bang for buck audio equipment in this day and age. Hmms, 

If you like listening to female vocals the k7xx is excellent.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #4,248 of 4,580

I don't think you will find too many post regarding the K7XX with portable gear since it was designed as a home headphone meant to be driven with desktop amps but since they are not the most difficult to drive some DAPs work well with them.  And I agree that the X3ii and K7XX are both great "bang for the buck" gear.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #4,249 of 4,580
I was thinking the KZ ZST (BA + DD driver) like the **** UE and **** 4in1. I still want to get this AKG K7XX? How are the female vocals, witch house, dream pop and hip hop in this AKG?, 

Female vocals sound amazing, and they don't have any major siblance spike either. The mids on the K7XX really surprised me, they have that neutral warmth signature and not too forward, including the female vocals. I listen to mostly female vocals and I really enjoy it on the K7XX, you'll like them too I'm sure. Can't say the same for hip hop because I don't listen to that genre. But these sound great for the J-POP I mostly listen to.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,250 of 4,580
Female vocals sound amazing, and they don't have any major siblance spike either. The mids on the K7XX really surprised me, they have that neutral warmth signature and not too forward, including the female vocals. I listen to mostly female vocals and I really enjoy it on the K7XX, you'll like them too I'm sure. Can't say the same for hip hop because I don't listen to that genre. But these sound great for the J-POP I mostly listen to.

Gotta try it on a real tube amp though. Let's see if tube amps are rubbish or not ...

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #4,253 of 4,580
I am PC gamer, need an desktop amp for  my K7XX, any suggestion? I was looking towards Fiio Olympus 2?

The E10k is a portable USB-powered unit, so not sure why you're looking at that instead of a desktop amp.

Anyway I'd suggest the Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier aka MDHA for around the same price. It runs off wall wart and pushes quite a bit of power. Output impedance is a bit on the high side at 10 ohms so not the best choice for IEMs and some low impedance dynamics, but shouldn't be a problem with the K7XX.

Edit: Forgot to mention the MDHA is a DAC/amp combo unit. I believe the amp part is the same as the SMSL model recommended above my post.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #4,254 of 4,580
The E10k is a portable USB-powered unit, so not sure why you're looking at that instead of a desktop amp.

Anyway I'd suggest the Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier aka MDHA for around the same price. It runs off wall wart and pushes quite a bit of power. Output impedance is a bit on the high side at 10 ohms so not the best choice for IEMs and some low impedance dynamics, but shouldn't be a problem with the K7XX.

Edit: Forgot to mention the MDHA is a DAC/amp combo unit. I believe the amp part is the same as the SMSL model recommended above my post.
yes they both use tpa6120.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #4,255 of 4,580

The reason I mentioned Fiio is because - it is SO CHEAP :) , shipping is mostly free and reviews are good. I'll check the prices for MDHA.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #4,256 of 4,580
The reason I mentioned Fiio is because - it is SO CHEAP :) , shipping is mostly free and reviews are good. I'll check the prices for MDHA.

I use the Monoprice DAC/amp. It's quite nice. I'm also looking forward to trying their new tube DAC/amp coming out at the end of the month. I'm wondering how the warmness of the tubes will interact with the analytic nature of the k7xx.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,257 of 4,580

Cheap? The SMSL sApII is the same price https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-sApII-TPA6120A2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00NLXBDPO

Actually cheaper

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #4,260 of 4,580
This is the best for headphones that aren't 32ohms. (I strapped a inductor on the output resistor so it works for low ohm cans)

A TPA6120 is uber fast and this is more than just decent.

If you have the cash, try it.

It looks like a great piece of hardware. Right now I'm using the Monoprice dac/amp and I'm very happy with it. Actually I'm saving up for a tube amp though :grinning:. Maybe it's just the novelty of tubes, but I find something attractive about them. Not sure if I'll do modi + vali or (more likely) the new monoprice monolith dac/amp (I know how very different these two setups would be). I also have a pair of X2's I'll be running if of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back