The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Aug 9, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #4,127 of 4,580
  Well, I ended up buying a custom 5' copper cable with Neutrik Rean connectors from Ted at teds headfood here on Head-Fi. I've bought several other items including my 240SS from him over the last few years, and he's great to do business with.

I'll followup with my observations and a picture after I get it ...

Just got my new cable from Ted ... initial impression, better macrodynamics over the stock cable with a slightly smoother overall presentation in the trebles. 

More to come ...

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #4,129 of 4,580
How are "macrodynamics" different from dynamics? I have never heard that term.

Good question. When music gets to the louder end of the dynamic range, it can become compressed sounding where the music appears to be at the same level. Macro dynamics describes the ability to retain a sense in amplitude differences giving the music a more realistic portrayal like when we go to a concert, especially one where there is unamplified instruments.

At the other end of the scale, we have micro dynamics where there are subtle aptitude differences within soft passages of music. The inherent noise floor of equipment and recordings has a play on better micro dynamics.

What I meant in my earlier comment is there appears to be greater clarity in transient detail giving a sense of speed when listening to loud passages. I was taken aback with this aspect and had a few eye openers in listening to music I've heard numerous times.

Hope that makes sense ...

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #4,130 of 4,580
Ahhh....OK. I think most of the time when people are speaking of dynamics they are talking about macrodynamics because they are worried about the peaks.

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #4,132 of 4,580
First of all, I continue to be amazed on the sound quality of this $200 purchase. As many others here have stated, this has to be one of the all time great buys in high performance gear. I bought these headphones purely on a whim, not expecting much (based on my previous experience with the original K701s), and figuring I would end up giving these to my son who is a PC gamer.

My listening experience has been so good that I decided spending money on a replacement cable was warranted. My hope in upgrading the cable was twofold: to obtain better bass performance and to smooth out the trebles a bit without taking away from the wonderful detailing I was experiencing.

I reached out to Ted at Headphone Lounge since I had purchased five Astell&Kern items (AK100, AK120, AK240, AK240SS, AKT5p) from him in the past, and my dealings with him had always been great. I knew his specialty was fashioning custom cables, so I asked him what he recommended. After hearing my objectives, he suggested his Copper cable which is made from high purity OCC copper. The five foot cable I ordered sells for $160, but he gave me a nice discount for being a repeat customer, something I understand he does for all his customers.

I received the cable four days after ordering it and did a quick listen knowing I would want to get some hours on it before I did any critical listening. My initial impression, as reported earlier in this thread, was how much better the macro dynamics were; I was startled by them on several recordings through my 240SS.

Now that I have over 100 hours on the cable, I can say without hesitation my objectives have been met. The bass has a bit more bloom to it and the upper mids/trebles do sound smoother. The soundstage is even more open and enveloping than before due to better resolution of low level detail. Where the stock cable had a characteristic of smearing these micro details, with the new cable this detail comes through with greater clarity. It's quite apparent to me the K7XXs scale nicely with better attachments.

I am very happy with my purchase. My son is going to have to wait awhile before he inherits these headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #4,133 of 4,580
I have always had good luck with Moon cables.  Bru recommends the Blue Dragon due to its neutrality, and says the Black Dragon adds some warmth.  I have a Silver Dragon on my HD650s and it does reduce the warmth without destroying the tonal structure. I am debating whether to get the Blue Black Dragon, but need to get some more hours on the K7xx to get a better feel for their sound.  

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #4,134 of 4,580
So I've tried looking and haven't found an answer... Are these possible to bass mod and is it even worth it? I love them stock but wouldn't mind a bit more bass as long as it doesn't affect the treble

They are more neutral in color, maybe even a bit on the lean side.  The bass is, to my taste, a bit exaggerated and very tight.  The highs were pretty smooth from the start.  But don't expect to hear a life-like symbol.  

I haven't got that many hours on them yet.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4,136 of 4,580
I have two JVC SZ2000 for my basshead needs, just want a new over ear for when I need a more natural/unbiased sound :)

The Red Edition is back up on MD

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #4,138 of 4,580
  If I were to describe it in scientific terms it means for less distortion between frequencies which is what is known as "tight response"

Yes, I agree with this.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #4,139 of 4,580
Hi all,

I just joined the current drop for the red editions, but I've got a quick question about amps.  Are these going to sound okay being driven off of a Sony STR-DA5200ES receiver, or should I start the hunt for a dedicated headphone amp?  I'll be using them as gaming headphones for my PS4.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #4,140 of 4,580
  Hi all,

I just joined the current drop for the red editions, but I've got a quick question about amps.  Are these going to sound okay being driven off of a Sony STR-DA5200ES receiver, or should I start the hunt for a dedicated headphone amp?  I'll be using them as gaming headphones for my PS4.

These are power hungry and you will definitely need a dedicated headphone amp at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back