The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 16, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #3,977 of 4,580
Tonight My thread clock says 6:45 am then I saw you are posting from Hawaii.
What is the 65th Anni all about.?
I still miss my K701s to be honest, stolen I think, by my Ex wife's brother. When they were new a million years ago, they had a MSRP of $400, which is equal today of about oh $440*- I don't think anyone actually paid MSRP, I didn't anyway.  Never the less I don't have anything to show for the money I did spend.

*N.B. this is an arbitrary number not based on anything real or imagined.

May 16, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #3,978 of 4,580
  Tonight My thread clock says 645 am then I saw you are posting from Hawaii.
What is the 65th Anni all about.  I still miss my 701s to be honest stolen I think by my Ex wife's brother. When they were new a million years ago they had a MSRP of $400 which is equal today of about oh $440*- I don't think anyone actually paid MSRP, I didn't anyway I don't have anything to show for the money I did spend.

*N.B. this is an arbitrary number not based on anything real or imagined.

Getting ready to go to sleep (6:12AM in Hawaii), I was having a few drinks with my GF and 2 of her girlfriends, the three girls passed out about an hour ago, I just finished cleaning up and getting ready to join them in bed.

As for the 65 Anni, I haven't heard it but the post that I linked to above and a few others I've read say that the K7XX is a pretty close match.

May 16, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #3,979 of 4,580
Possessing a pair of K240/MKII (the thing that took my Nice Music virginity), and itching to pull the trigger on the Q701 for a couple years now, this whole 7XX thing is really, really making my Buy Now Trigger Finger pretty damn itchy all over again.... but I've already spent $450+ on audio stuff in the past 6 weeks alone.

The Fostex X00 I could write off since it's closed back, and I already have a nice closed back - nice enough, anyway - but I love that AKG sound.

May 17, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #3,980 of 4,580
So I have a question. I went to my local Shop to test the AKG K702, and while I liked the sound quite much, the treble is way too Bright for me. They hurt my eyes,not at all a pleasant Experience. I had the AKG K550 and loved it, not hurting me at all in the highs. Would you call this K7xx a "same but better" upgrade of the AKG K550? Thanks!

May 17, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #3,981 of 4,580
So I have a question. I went to my local Shop to test the AKG K702, and while I liked the sound quite much, the treble is way too Bright for me. They hurt my eyes,not at all a pleasant Experience. I had the AKG K550 and loved it, not hurting me at all in the highs. Would you call this K7xx a "same but better" upgrade of the AKG K550? Thanks!

I'm going on memory here but the K7XX is not as bright as the K702, it will also depend on your DAC/amp used.  Also have a K553 and its about the same as the K7XX in the highs, just about right to me.

May 19, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #3,982 of 4,580

I sold my K7XX after buying a K702. Why?

The K7XX is more of an all-around headphone, similar to the HD650 (that I already own). You can plug it into many different tiers of headphone equipment, perhaps not necessarily the best of equipment. Yet, the K7XX will still sound pretty good regardless. The K702 rewards you only once your equipment chain (source and amplifier) are "good enough". The cheapest DAC I will use is the Chord Mojo. Otherwise my DAC sources are more in the $1500 - $2000 range. And with a really clean and clear foundation, I love the K702.

I can completely understand how the K702 might sound bright, depending on the equipment used at the store where you heard it. But to me, it sounds revealing, almost to the level of the HD800 (just a notch below). The K7XX will not punish you in the same way, when not used with high end equipment. It is significantly more relaxed and easier to make sound great!

May 19, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #3,983 of 4,580
 I feel compelled to say that it isn't always price that makes excellent gear pairing and system building.  I have some Focal /JM Labs Electra 936s from a few generations back in time.  These speakers are  ruthlessly revealing and analytic without the right gear. I bought them because the store knew how to get them to behave. I could not, for financial reasons  and did not want to replicate that particular set up.  In addition I got a crazy low price on the model up from the demo systems speakers. 
I knew they could sound good but wet thru years of trial and mostly error obviously.
Then the addition of a very inexpensive ( used $350-)  AES  AE-3 pre amp which uses 6SN7s, made a big improvement.  A couple of platform and cabling tweaks helped more than previous tweaking did.  Then the magic, a dear friend made it possible for me to buy $2,000 total ,mono block tube amps,  Consonance Cyber 800s, with 6CA7 power tubes.  I could not believe how good this system sounded and sounds. My sources are a VPI Scout and another Consonance product a reference 2.2 (I think) CD player. 

May 19, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #3,984 of 4,580
The AKG K702 hover around the $200 to $250 range, new. My amplifier of choice is the Schiit Vali, which can be had used for around $70.

I might be crazy by the standards of some, but I still prefer my higher priced DACs 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,987 of 4,580
Hi, I am just wondering how is it comparing to T70P and B&W P7?

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #3,988 of 4,580
Hi guys,
Jonathan here..quite new to headfi..

Wanna ask regarding the k7xx..
Hmmm..does the aftermarket cable like moon audio 4 pin balanced will make huge difference..???

Am thinking of buying one..haha..should i changed the earpad also for better sonic Quality..???

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #3,989 of 4,580
Hi guys,
Jonathan here..quite new to headfi..

Wanna ask regarding the k7xx..
Hmmm..does the aftermarket cable like moon audio 4 pin balanced will make huge difference..???

Am thinking of buying one..haha..should i changed the earpad also for better sonic Quality..???

Thanks,
Jonathan

If you want to run the K7XX balanced then you will need to change the 3 pin mini-XLR jack in the headphone to a 4 pin, and do a little re-wiring between the left and right drivers.

I built a Mogami cable and there is no difference in sound from the stock, I just wanted a shorter cable.  The topic of headphone cables making a difference is a touchy subject with many, I'm on the side that says there is no difference between cables unless the original is defective or of very poor quality.  FWIW I've had high priced cables from Double Helix and Forza, beautifully crafted and a joy to use but there was no difference is the sound compared to the Mogami, Canare and Cardas cables that I've built.  If looking for a "huge difference" the only way is to get another headphone.

As for the ear pads, I still have the originals with my K7XX.  I've done some pad rolling with my HE-560/400i/400 and also with some Grados and Beyers, for the most part changing ear pads will usually affect the entire spectrum of sound so while one aspect might get better you might lose something with another aspect, YMMV.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3,990 of 4,580
If you want to run the K7XX balanced then you will need to change the 3 pin mini-XLR jack in the headphone to a 4 pin, and do a little re-wiring between the left and right drivers.

I built a Mogami cable and there is no difference in sound from the stock, I just wanted a shorter cable.  The topic of headphone cables making a difference is a touchy subject with many, I'm on the side that says there is no difference between cables unless the original is defective or of very poor quality.  FWIW I've had high priced cables from Double Helix and Forza, beautifully crafted and a joy to use but there was no difference is the sound compared to the Mogami, Canare and Cardas cables that I've built.  If looking for a "huge difference" the only way is to get another headphone.

As for the ear pads, I still have the originals with my K7XX.  I've done some pad rolling with my HE-560/400i/400 and also with some Grados and Beyers, for the most part changing ear pads will usually affect the entire spectrum of sound so while one aspect might get better you might lose something with another aspect, YMMV.

Thx so much for the advices.
Would probably follow your advices of just keeping the stock cable if the is no significant sonic difference

Probably, changing the pads would work greatly right

Is it possible to use the audeze vegan pads.??

Thanks,
Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back