The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Sep 30, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,926 of 4,580
  You might have a faulty pair of 7XXs, both of my 712s have less bass than my 7XX, and my 7XXs don't have ANY rattle. I also am 99% sure that the 712 & 7XX have the same pads. 

I checked the pads and thought they look similar, the K7XX look and feel stiffer compared to the K712 softer and more spongy. The K7XX feels like it barely makes a seal around my ears compared to the K712, which feels like it makes a more fitted seal. I feel like the K712 has a wee bit more bass than the K7XX as well and the K712 Highs are wee bit more soothed while the mids on the K712 seemed more refined for me. But im not saying that dont sound similar, they do actually, its just that the 712 sounds more refined to my ears.

Also, I ran the headphone shaker test tone again, and while the K712 doesnt rattle on low gain at max volume from my Cayin C5, it does rattle at around dial 4 with high gain. K7XX rattles starting at 7.5 actually and at max volume, the rattle doesnt seem to be that obvious, on low gain of course.

So Im not sure what to make of this. Like I have said, both sound similar but for a refinement in sound, the k712 takes it for me.

Then again like you have said, i may have a faulty K7XX :frowning2:

Does that mean I will have to pay for the shipping to send it out? :frowning2:

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,927 of 4,580
  I checked the pads and thought they look similar, the K7XX look and feel stiffer compared to the K712 softer and more spongy. The K7XX feels like it barely makes a seal around my ears compared to the K712, which feels like it makes a more fitted seal. I feel like the K712 has a wee bit more bass than the K7XX as well and the K712 Highs are wee bit more soothed while the mids on the K712 seemed more refined for me. But im not saying that dont sound similar, they do actually, its just that the 712 sounds more refined to my ears.

Mine feel and look the same, but i do agree that the 712 has a slightly more naturally upper mid/ lower treble. The 712 is still my go-to pair.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,928 of 4,580
  Mine feel and look the same, but i do agree that the 712 has a slightly more naturally upper mid/ lower treble. The 712 is still my go-to pair.

The rattle seems to be of a minor issue because I dont really turn up the volume past the 6 mark on the C5 and anything below that doesnt cause a rattle.

I mean the differences in sound are noticeable but nothing to cry about and say that it will ruin your overall experience.....that is if you are OCD and stuff lol

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #2,929 of 4,580

Can you switch the pads around and state your impressions?, it's possible many of the differences are due to pads.

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #2,930 of 4,580

Also, I ran the headphone shaker test tone again, and while the K712 doesnt rattle on low gain at max volume from my Cayin C5, it does rattle at around dial 4 with high gain. K7XX rattles starting at 7.5 actually and at max volume, the rattle doesnt seem to be that obvious, on low gain of course.

So Im not sure what to make of this. Like I have said, both sound similar but for a refinement in sound, the k712 takes it for me.

Then again like you have said, i may have a faulty K7XX :frowning2:

Does that mean I will have to pay for the shipping to send it out? :frowning2:
To me, the K7XX has the least bright treble of any AKG K7__ headphone. And the most bass by a slim margin. Only the K812 has more/better bass for an open AKG.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,932 of 4,580
The drop is back, for those not subscribed:
Note: This is the drop is limited to 580 units. Each unit is still individually serialized. This batch is currently in-stock at the Massdrop warehouse and will begin shipping out to members soon after the drop ends.

116 purchased, as of my post.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,934 of 4,580
I guess I've joined the club, I just ordered a pair of the AKG K7xx from Massdrop. (My first drop too, might be my only drop, but you never know).
I was going to get the AKG K712pro, but with my headphone use pattern (which is a rarely as possible), the K712 is a bit high priced. I also read in several places that the K7xx is very similar to the K712, so in the name of saving a large chunk of change I opted for the K7xx. Seems to me the only glaring difference is the K7xx is Chinese (I'm not a fan of Chinese products, but very hard to avoid with headphones). We'll see.
(I might end up with the K712s down the road anyway, but cost and diminishing returns are foremost on my mind).

As for QA concerns, beggars can't be choosers and I know what I am walking into. AKG doesn't care about their products and has virtually no support, so I'm not expecting a whole lot. I'm also not at all worried about the rattle issue because I'll never hear it unless there are loose pieces in the ear cups as I don't play headphones (or anything else for that matter) at eh levels you lot do. For me, I like to play headphones at the barely audible level, good enough for me. I've always protected my ears and continue to do so. I still have exceptional hearing, however, I also feel it is at least in part that my ears are overcompensating for my eyes, I can't see worth anything.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #2,935 of 4,580
  I guess I've joined the club, I just ordered a pair of the AKG K7xx from Massdrop. (My first drop too, might be my only drop, but you never know).
I was going to get the AKG K712pro, but with my headphone use pattern (which is a rarely as possible), the K712 is a bit high priced. I also read in several places that the K7xx is very similar to the K712, so in the name of saving a large chunk of change I opted for the K7xx. Seems to me the only glaring difference is the K7xx is Chinese (I'm not a fan of Chinese products, but very hard to avoid with headphones). We'll see.
(I might end up with the K712s down the road anyway, but cost and diminishing returns are foremost on my mind).

As for QA concerns, beggars can't be choosers and I know what I am walking into. AKG doesn't care about their products and has virtually no support, so I'm not expecting a whole lot. I'm also not at all worried about the rattle issue because I'll never hear it unless there are loose pieces in the ear cups as I don't play headphones (or anything else for that matter) at eh levels you lot do. For me, I like to play headphones at the barely audible level, good enough for me. I've always protected my ears and continue to do so. I still have exceptional hearing, however, I also feel it is at least in part that my ears are overcompensating for my eyes, I can't see worth anything.

hope you enjoy the k7xxs. looking forward to your impressions :)

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #2,936 of 4,580
  hope you enjoy the k7xxs. looking forward to your impressions :)

Thank you.
I will not be giving any impressions and such though, I am not qualified. I wouldn't know where to begin. I rarely use headphones. Many others hear have already given informative info. Besides its all subjective and personal preference. For example: I may love the K7xx while someone else would loath it.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #2,937 of 4,580
  Thank you.
I will not be giving any impressions and such though, I am not qualified. I wouldn't know where to begin. I rarely use headphones. Many others hear have already given informative info. Besides its all subjective and personal preference. For example: I may love the K7xx while someone else would loath it.

Awww. But we want to hear what you "may love" about it
bigsmile_face.gif
. A few months ago (before I popped my ear-cherry with the entry-level Takstar HI 2050) I wasn't "qualified" to comment on anything sound-related but now I dare-say I'm more qualified than AKG's longest-standing sound engineer
darthsmile.gif
. I'm now picking up a K7XX as well. So give us your impressions, no matter how brief or un-qualified.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #2,939 of 4,580
based on the reviews i read last night, i found it too hard to pass up this drop!!

tough decision now, keep looking for a DAP or get a tube amp for home usage....

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #2,940 of 4,580
  My brief comments on the sound signature in comparison to the HD650 and DT880 250ohm off a Schiit Asgard through a RME DAC.

DT880 - absolute detail monster. HD650 - smooth, lush, beautiful. K7XX - loud, punchy, dynamic, fun. Currently really satisfied with my trifecta.

dude! sick triad!!! :) a classic bunch of headphones.

http://www.headfonia.com/old-school-trio-akg-k701-beyer-dt880-sennheiser-hd650/

my fav is the k7xx =P all of them are honestly quite amazing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back