The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,641 of 4,580
In regards to a tube amp, what about the Bravo Audio Ocean, or Aune T1?

I love my ocean, works great with my hd600 and k7xx. Tons of power, I literally can't turn that sucker past 1/4 without it being too loud.

Aune T1 works quite well, it was recommended as a economical amp by @mikoss for my friend who has a K7XX and HD-650.  I just provided her with some tubes so she could experiment with tube rolling on a limited basis.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #2,646 of 4,580
Currently running these with an e10k and finally deciding to get something a little bit better.  Should I get a Modi2/Magni2 or a Modi2/Vali?  Seems like the Magni2 is more all around useful, as it can power a wider variety of headphones, but I hear the 7xx responds well to tubes.

Other future headphone purchases that might connect to this are HD700 or Fidelio X2 if that makes a difference.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2,647 of 4,580
  Currently running these with an e10k and finally deciding to get something a little bit better.  Should I get a Modi2/Magni2 or a Modi2/Vali?  Seems like the Magni2 is more all around useful, as it can power a wider variety of headphones, but I hear the 7xx responds well to tubes.

Other future headphone purchases that might connect to this are HD700 or Fidelio X2 if that makes a difference.

I love my Project Ember for the K7XX and HD-700, if you want a little cheaper then check the Garage 1217 site for the other amps that they have.  The Modi2uber is pretty good, I like it with my Asgard2 on my lanai.  My X1 is fairly easy to drive so my m/m stack also works pretty good with most amps and DACs like Fiio X3 and X3ii..

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #2,651 of 4,580
hey guys, i cant find any direct vs against the DT880 pro,  any of you can give me an idea if this HP are better?  i heard the DT880 pro from my brother and i like the sound alot but i prefer a better soundstage, for orchestral, ambient, gaming, movies.

My source is Bifrost uber > Little dot i+ with the OPA modded and tubes.

thanks in advance

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #2,652 of 4,580
hey guys, i cant find any direct vs against the DT880 pro,  any of you can give me an idea if this HP are better?  i heard the DT880 pro from my brother and i like the sound alot but i prefer a better soundstage, for orchestral, ambient, gaming, movies.

My source is Bifrost uber > Little dot i+ with the OPA modded and tubes.

thanks in advance

I own DT880/600 and K7XX. The DT880 throw a very wide and enveloping soundfield (headphones don't soundstage) to the point where I have to check if my main system is playing, as well. K7XX is more restrained in this respect. No one can tell you which is better, as it comes down to your personal preference and your expectations. If you were to describe the sort of sound you prefer, answering the question may be easier. Good luck.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2,653 of 4,580
I own DT880/600 and K7XX. The DT880 throw a very wide and enveloping soundfield (headphones don't soundstage) to the point where I have to check if my main system is playing, as well. K7XX is more restrained in this respect. No one can tell you which is better, as it comes down to your personal preference and your expectations. If you were to describe the sort of sound you prefer, answering the question may be easier. Good luck.

Yes sorry, i meant for more soundstage to be like more bigger, more separation of the instruments, and detailed. I though the DT 880 being a nice HP for most type of music but not excellent on any department, and being AKG known for its big soundstage, perhaps was a better option for me due to having a SR225i Grados that covers everything else that the akg might be weak on.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #2,655 of 4,580
Yes sorry, i meant for more soundstage to be like more bigger, more separation of the instruments, and detailed. I though the DT 880 being a nice HP for most type of music but not excellent on any department, and being AKG known for its big soundstage, perhaps was a better option for me due to having a SR225i Grados that covers everything else that the akg might be weak on.

To be perfectly honest with you, I have no idea why folks cite the K7-series as having a huge soundfield. I also own K702. While it's my favorite HP, DT880/600 have a more encompassing and defined soundfield. This sort of performance greatly hinges on the associated equipment and the source material. If you using, say, a Magni or an O2, while playing MP3s through your laptop, you'll never hear that from either headphone. I mean in a manner that gets the best out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back