The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jun 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,491 of 4,580
Finally got my K7XX from MassDrop, took 18 days
confused_face.gif

First impressions or K7XX, I like it, for $199 its about as good a deal that you can find.  Using UD-301 DAC and Lyr2, the sound is fairly neutral to me, bass/mids/treble are all just about right.  The bass does not go as low as some of my planars and the highs are not as extended like the HD-700/800 and HE-560.  Closest with similar sound is HD-650, I like the mids on the HD-650 better but the highs of the K7XX, bass is about even to me, fuller on HD-650 but more punch on K7XX.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,492 of 4,580
confused_face.gif

First impressions or K7XX, I like it, for $199 its about as good a deal that you can find.  Using UD-301 DAC and Lyr2, the sound is fairly neutral to me, bass/mids/treble are all just about right.  The bass does not go as low as some of my planars and the highs are not as extended like the HD-700/800 and HE-560.  Closest with similar sound is HD-650, I like the mids on the HD-650 better but the highs of the K7XX, bass is about even to me, fuller on HD-650 but more punch on K7XX.

+1 exactly my observations too. Glad you have your set now, finally. Let them play for a few hours and check on the bass again, I felt it getting even stronger...

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,493 of 4,580
confused_face.gif

Check out the Audio Technica ATH-R70x if you're looking for fuller bass while maintaining articulate highs. Review in my sig.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,495 of 4,580
All right! Sold off my HE-400s and AKG K612 Pros. The K7XX are the only open headphone I have right now. Don't need any others
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting... I plan on getting a pair of HE-400i's to test against these. (Ordered on this last Massdrop) The 400i's are the other set whose description at least sounds like it could compare (for me) with the K7XX. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,496 of 4,580

Check out the Audio Technica ATH-R70x if you're looking for fuller bass while maintaining articulate highs. Review in my sig.

Thanks for sharing, great review.  I'm one of those that look for different sound signatures and rarely sell any of my headphones, with that said  the ATH-R70X sounds like it would be a duplication of my HD-650/K7XX.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #2,497 of 4,580
Interesting... I plan on getting a pair of HE-400i's to test against these. (Ordered on this last Massdrop) The 400i's are the other set whose description at least sounds like it could compare (for me) with the K7XX. 

I liked the sound of the HE-400s as much as the K7XX. One had a slight edge over the other, depending on what I was listening to.

However,

* K7XX has better ergonomics--one sided cable and lighter weight (better comfort)
* K7XX seems a bit easier to drive with my portable gear

So I realized I probably wouldn't get HE-400s out that much. Seemed better to focus on listening to music for awhile instead of which headphone to listen to (I know, blasphemy!).

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,498 of 4,580
I liked the sound of the HE-400s as much as the K7XX. One had a slight edge over the other, depending on what I was listening to.

However,

* K7XX has better ergonomics--one sided cable and lighter weight (better comfort)

So I realized I probably wouldn't get HE-400s out that much. Seemed better to focus on listening to music for awhile instead of which headphone to listen to (I know, blasphemy!).

I know you liked my 7XX @ the AA meet, glad to see you got your own!

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #2,500 of 4,580

However,

Actually, I am ready to get my initial set up in place so I can focus on music. Sometimes it is easy to forget, that is the purpose of all this. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,501 of 4,580

Doing A&B's right now, with:

AKG K7XX (stock, and with K701/Q-701 pads)
AKG K812 (stock)
AKG K701 (stock and with K7XX/712 pads))
AKG Q701 (bass port mod and with K7XX / 712 pads))
Beyerdynamic T-90 (stock & with EDT990 pads)
Sony MDR-7506 (stock and with Beyerdynamic DT250 pads)
Sony MDR-V6 (stock and with beyerdynamic DT250 pads)

FUN !!!

interested to hear your impressions. i was actually thought the k812 performed quite well despite its relatively more muted popularity for a flagship around here.

Hey!, any updates on this?, I'm particularly interested in the K7XX + K701/Q701 pads pairing, I want to know if the upper midrange gets filled somewhat.

K7XX, with Q701/K701 pads, loses a hint of bass, and gains a hint more soundstage.  @c61746961
 .... Unfortunately K7XX+K7/Q7 pads, doesn't gain the detail/revealing nature of the Q701/K701's upper mids and treble.  Still darker/dimmer.  A lot like a Sennheiser HD650, mixed with a K712 Pro. Plus more bass then either!  Best value in headphones right now, even at twice it's price, I feel, for those looking for a perfect combo of warm audiophile smoothness, lots of good bass, and lots of detail in the mids and highs without being too analytical or bright. Long live the K7XX !!!!

K812 still has more quantity, and better quality bass than any non-planar high end headphone.  Imaging as good as the HD800, but with more musical character.  More engaging detail than anything else at any price point than the Stax 009.  Better soundstage than anything else besides the HD800 (which isn't surprising, as AKG's K7/Q7 already slay everything besides HD800 when it comes to soundstage).  K812's only real weaknesses are slight recession from 1k-4k, just like the HD800, and spectral notches in the upper mids and treble that are "too smart by half", that do carve out a more musically compatible upper treble for the acoustic properties of the ear (most audible around 2.5khz and 7.5khz), but also are too steep and deep in my opinion, when compared to the same dips in the HD800 (which is smoother and softer above 7.5khz), and those spectral notches, while smart, can sound unnatural on certain percussive resonance, especially on older recordings with big, natural reverbs before the age of modern recording.  Build quality is only bested by headphones above $3000USD.  One truly surprising bonus, is how incredible (and loud) these sound, unamped out of a MacBook Pro, or an iPhone 6+.

K701 gains a noticeable amount of bass with the addition of the K7xx gel pads, but still retains its super natural FR, and excellent soundstage and detail.  Incredible value of "mid-Fi", that with a great, bass tube amp, can best so many far more expensive options.

Q701 gains a good bit of bass with the bass port mod, and more yet with K7XX gel pads, doesn't ever get quite as bassy as the K7xx, more like the K712 Pro, which has more detail and is brighter than the K7xx.  Again, these K7/Q7, with mods and good amps, are all giant killers.

Beyerdynamic Tesla T90 90th Anniversary edition......
........it's simply my favorite phone of them all right now, despite it being punishingly bright.  Soundstage unfortunately can't compare with K812/HD800, but the flat response, natural sound (shockingly similar to genelecs in a perfectly treated control room) and tonality from the sub bass all the way to around 4khz, is nearly unmatched in the entire headphone world, especially from 1khz-4khz.  Only the Stax 009 is as accurate and natural a competitor IMHO from 20hz-4khz.  The biggest weaknesses are a center dominant soundstage, and excruciating treble on bad recordings.  EDT990 pads tamed some harshness off the treble, but also slightly decreased the presence of the really great sub bass extension for a dynamic.  I think part of the value of the T-90, is it, along with the K812, have the top 2 best, literally incredible sub extensions for dynamic phones.  Will Keep this one forever.

Sony MDR-7506 I prefer with it's stock pads, DT250 pads take too much away from it's bass.  Still the best closed phone for vocal reference/tracking, and widely used exactly for that very purpose, because of it's dip below vocal range.

Sony MDR-V6 is super flat from the mid bass thru around 4khz, and extremely bassy with stock leather pads, despite what the graphs say.  My fav closed back headphone to date, and treble is smoothed more by DT250 velour pads, which also ogive it a tiny bit of soundstage.  Best value out there, as genuine V6's can be had brand new for $75, and don't require a huge amp to be driven hard.  I can't wait until a better, equally flat closed headphone comes out.  That new closed Sennheiser flagship coming in autumn has me extremely excited.  Maybe I'll stop saying the MDR-V6 is the best closed phone then :wink:  It's as unbelievable a value among closed phones, as the K7XX is amongst open phones.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #2,503 of 4,580
I happened to look back at this and saw the "AA meet," and I thought, "Audioholics Anonymous?
biggrin.gif

we've never listened to headphones at the AA meetings i've been to   
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2,504 of 4,580
Not sure if I should have made a thread about this, and I know it's been beaten around the bush but I like personal feed back, but I'd like to know good Desk Amp options preferably under $300 for the K7XX's. I like a *bit* warmer sound, and I enjoy tubes if that helps at all. I've been searching everywhere but haven't found a great answer yet.

I'm only interested in standalone desk Amps (no combos here).

I had been dead set on the Schiit Vali due to their great price, but I have read that they don't pair well with many other headphones, which isn't great down the road. So, I'd appreciate any help I can get...

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #2,505 of 4,580
Not sure if I should have made a thread about this, and I know it's been beaten around the bush but I like personal feed back, but I'd like to know good Desk Amp options preferably under $300 for the K7XX's. I like a *bit* warmer sound, and I enjoy tubes if that helps at all. I've been searching everywhere but haven't found a great answer yet.

I'm only interested in standalone desk Amps (no combos here).

I had been dead set on the Schiit Vali due to their great price, but I have read that they don't pair well with many other headphones, which isn't great down the road. So, I'd appreciate any help I can get...

Thanks!

Go to http://www.garage1217.com/ they have a few tube amps to chose from.  I have a project ember which is a little out of your price range but its the most versatile amp that I have seen and works great for many of the headphones that I have.  The project solstice is under your budget even after adding shipping cost which some have said is a poor man's ember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back