The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Apr 12, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #2,191 of 4,580
I must be deaf.
everyone is deaf until they've "heard the truth"

But this k7XX thread is not the place for a discussion on the "differences" in bit perfect players.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,192 of 4,580

But this k7XX thread is not the place for a discussion on the "differences" in bit perfect players.

The fact that there is no "truth"? :wink:

My favorite quote of late, "Truth is for believers, facts are for people of reason."

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,193 of 4,580

Sounds Like a PIA..mqn. I checked it out. Limited to 16 bit...and ~$800  for 2012 R2 license. I will remain deaf and stick with Foobar.
Ignorance IS bliss,

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,194 of 4,580
Sounds Like a PIA..mqn. I checked it out. Limited to 16 bit...and ~$800  for 2012 R2 license. I will remain deaf and stick with Foobar.
Ignorance IS bliss,
$800 for a license? Well it's no myth that reptile oil can drastically improve perceived sound quality.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,195 of 4,580

They are running this with Windows Server 2012 R2 as the operating system as the preferred method. With volume licensing the license for that OS is around $800. Considerably more if one would just go buy a single copy.  Check out the link.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,197 of 4,580
I pulled the protective plastic off the rings and now I wish I hadn't. Dang.

I held out for a long time. I have a number under 50 and thought that it would be best to keep them as close to "like new" as possible in case we didn't get along.
I Decided they're staying for a while.

Why do you wish you hadn't?

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #2,198 of 4,580
Why do you wish you hadn't?

Just goofin' around, mostly. I did feel a sudden pang of fear that I'd scratch the rings they were protecting once they were off. I'm definitely keeping them around for a while, though.

So, last night I also opened them up because I was curious. I mean, everyone said it was reversible, so...

At first, I was worried because the bass seemed a bit boomy, less controlled. But, the longer I listened to it, the more it seemed to tighten up. And today they seem just as accurate as before the mod, only the low-end is thicker, has more impact. I honestly can't tell any difference, either negative or positive, in any of the higher parts of the spectrum. Where before I had really been enjoying the K7XX with Tool, Floyd, Pearl Jam, Hendrix, Joplin, James Brown, Clapton and the like, today I'm playing Orbital, Leftfield, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Krafty Kuts, Noisia, The Prodigy and other fun stuff.

I know you guys are talking about how bassy these already are, but I feel like this presentation is a lot nicer than stock for bass-emphasized music. Maybe AKG's signature sound isn't for me? This is my first pair. Having said that, it would also be very easy to go back to stock if one wanted to just try the mod out for a bit. The stickers stay very tacky after you peel them off.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,199 of 4,580

Just goofin' around, mostly. I did feel a sudden pang of fear that I'd scratch the rings they were protecting once they were off. I'm definitely keeping them around for a while, though.

So, last night I also opened them up because I was curious. I mean, everyone said it was reversible, so...

At first, I was worried because the bass seemed a bit boomy, less controlled. But, the longer I listened to it, the more it seemed to tighten up. And today they seem just as accurate as before the mod, only the low-end is thicker, has more impact. I honestly can't tell any difference, either negative or positive, in any of the higher parts of the spectrum. Where before I had really been enjoying the K7XX with Tool, Floyd, Pearl Jam, Hendrix, Joplin, James Brown, Clapton and the like, today I'm playing Orbital, Leftfield, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Krafty Kuts, Noisia, The Prodigy and other fun stuff.

I know you guys are talking about how bassy these already are, but I feel like this presentation is a lot nicer than stock for bass-emphasized music. Maybe AKG's signature sound isn't for me? This is my first pair. Having said that, it would also be very easy to go back to stock if one wanted to just try the mod out for a bit. The stickers stay very tacky after you peel them off.

Jesus.
These just became the bassiest AKG around.
Have you ever A&B'd your K7XX with a K812, prior to doing the bass port mod ?

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #2,200 of 4,580

I guess? I get that the bass hump was already pronounced in the K7XX, especially for an AKG. I spent a lot of time attending (and throwing) bass-heavy events when I was younger. I even volunteered at our local DanceSafe chapter for a while. I'm pretty sure that this, combined with a couple decades of listening to bass-heavy music, has tuned my ears to be used to a heavier low-end than the average Head-Fier. I actually don't think I've done much damage, though. I was always pretty good about wearing earplugs and I'm not a very loud listener. The Magni is on high gain, but I almost never turn the pot past 9 o'clock.

I read a post somewhere on Head-Fi recently which talked about the overall shift in the way people want to hear their bass. Where, before, people wanted to hear it, now people want to "feel" it too. I can relate to this.

I'm sorry, but the only other cans I can compare them to are my DT770/80's, which still have a somewhat heavier, although less controlled, low-end.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #2,202 of 4,580
  Jesus.

Doing A&B's right now, with:

AKG K7XX  (stock, and with K701/Q-701 pads)
AKG K812  (stock)
AKG K701  (stock and with K7XX/712 pads))
AKG Q701  (bass port mod and with K7XX / 712 pads))
Beyerdynamic T-90  (stock & with EDT990 pads)
Sony MDR-7506  (stock and with Beyerdynamic DT250 pads)
Sony MDR-V6  (stock and with beyerdynamic DT250 pads)

FUN !!!

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,203 of 4,580
Doing A&B's right now, with:

AKG K7XX  (stock, and with K701/Q-701 pads)
AKG K812  (stock)
AKG K701  (stock and with K7XX/712 pads))
AKG Q701  (bass port mod and with K7XX / 712 pads))
Beyerdynamic T-90  (stock & with EDT990 pads)
Sony MDR-7506  (stock and with Beyerdynamic DT250 pads)
Sony MDR-V6  (stock and with beyerdynamic DT250 pads)

FUN !!!

interested to hear your impressions. i was actually thought the k812 performed quite well despite its relatively more muted popularity for a flagship around here.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,204 of 4,580
  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK712.pdf

edit: they do look quite similar.

To my ears they sound very similar too.  I lived with the K712 for a couple of months before I got the K7XX.  At that point I tried two different amps with both head phones, just about every genre of music under the sun, and did my best at "blind" comparisons.  This went on for a full month... trying to detect any obvious black and white sort of difference between the two... Not just something I thought I could hear but something I could just drag my wife or our son into the room and put a track on and let them listen with both pair of headphones and they would go "OH!  I hear it!".   At the end of the day I could discern no difference between the two.  Sold the K712 and kept the K7XX (I liked the ninja black look better!)

I do agree with alpha80 that the signature analytical airyness on the top end, that I remember so well from my years of K701 use, is not nearly as prominent.  I'm seriously considering a pair of K702 to battle it out for dominance over my ears :wink:

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2,205 of 4,580
interested to hear your impressions. i was actually thought the k812 performed quite well despite its relatively more muted popularity for a flagship around here.

I think it's just that most people either:

1. Listen to older, non-remastered, classic rock or classical recordings with serious mic/outboard, console / "overall-treble"/"distortion" issues in the original recordings, and thus want tube amps to essentially alter the signal, and act as mild/soft compressors, and also for the tubes to sweeten and dampen the entire stereo image in a similar manor to 2" TAPE saturation, or SSL G-series harmonic distortion.

2. Follow Tyll as if his opinion is gold.

I actually know I'll find a headphone terrible, if Tyll doesn't complain that it's at least slightly forward, mid-forward, or bright.  

And it's hilarious to me, when tyll complains of the AKG K812's THD, on the lower and upper ends, yet praises the HD800 for clarity (which actually has more harmonic distortion in the low end than the K812).  And then praises some overpriced, dim, bloated Planars for their "tight" or controlled" bass and clarity and imaging.  Sh!t is bush league laughable 
gs1000.gif
  i wonder what his opinion of Genelec is......

I'm not saying he's a shill, because he clearly isn't.  He's a well-educated, intelligent dude, who has a taste for darker, warmer, recessed phones.
His opinion and ears are just, i think, taken with not a large enough grain of salt by young/impressionable/inexperienced HeadFi enthusiasts.

K812, is IMHO, very similar and slightly superior to the HD800 in all aspects besides vertical soundstage and the cord.  Neither are true reference headphones.  Both have barely recessed miss (although K812's are better).  And both have way too much FUN/musical harmonic distortion to be true reference.  And yet, neither are audiophile phones either, which tend to hide bad treble, and butter everything up in buttloads of sweet, sweet 2nd and 3rd order Harmonic distortion.  

To come back on topic.....the K7XX, I'd say is more akin to audiophiles, due to the seriously smooth laid back, BASS-HEAVY signature, and the less bright treble than the K812.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back