The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,952 of 4,580
does the fulla work paired to an iphone? i hate that the geek outs draw too much power and are useless hooked up to an iphone...
not officially, but using some adapters and a powered hub, some people have gotten it to work

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,954 of 4,580
I have personally found the k7xx really loves a tube hybrid amp. The project Starlight from garage 1217 is a very nice pairing with the k7xx and a decent dac. I used that with my k7xx and a dragonfly 1.2 dac for a while and very much enjoyed them. For a setup that can be portable, depends on your tastes. To start cheap consider a HIFIMEDIY sabre dac. Might be happy with just that and your k7xx,if you need more power you could always add a mobile amp. $41 for the HIFIMEDIY is a pretty safe bet though. Not sure about iPhone compatibility, but it works on my Android no problem at all so I don't think it draws very much power. Could always buy a hybrid amp down the road and use the HIFIMEDIY as a dac.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,959 of 4,580
  That's a bummer. Why is it advertised as portable if it behaves like a desktop setup? Seems better to spend a bit more for the Monoprice or Magni 2 then.

It is a tad misleading but there is no better way to put it. The distinction is between "portable" and "mobile". It has tons of power so its very understandable once you hear it why it can't run off of a phone. I think a fantastic feature for the fulla 2 would be a "mobile" and "desktop" switch to switch between high power from a regular USB and low current draw from a phone or tablet. I don't know if that's even feasible though. These K7 series phones love current so you will see a big improvement with an amp.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,960 of 4,580

Those look ..from the picture, identical to the ones I got. Same connectors, same spring strain relief same 1/8 to 1/4" adapter (3.5mm to 6.5mm).. But they were a couple of bucks cheaper and had free shipping. Take a look at the links. It took 11 days from the order date to delivery. .. I am in Colorado, USA.

Hah!!!

I just got my cable TODAY!  That's TWO days, to western Washington.  Amazon said not to expect it until next month (four weeks, actually), I ordered it on the 10th and got it today, on the 12th.  I paid $20 including shipping.  Compared to two weeks from China for $15?  I'm glad I paid the extra $4-5!  Shipped from "Rowland Heights, CA", btw.

Here is the link, in case anyone wants one.  1.5m cable, covered in some sort of cool looking webbing, 1/8th inch to 1/4in adapter, spring strain relief, etc.  They also have it in 1.2 and 2.5m lengths (maybe more?)  No obvious defects, sounds great!  :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KALSXVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,961 of 4,580
So I tried the test to see if there is any rattle issues and I'm wondering. If I don't hear any rattle at 20Hz, that means my headphone is okay? But what if I hear rattle at 10hz?

I tested using my LG G2>Fiio E11>K7XX.
E11 was set to high gain and max volume/6.5 on dial, G2 had max volume as well. The rattle started at 10Hz but at 20Hz it didn't rattle anymore.

So is this ok or no?

Confused here...

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,962 of 4,580
So I tried the test to see if there is any rattle issues and I'm wondering. If I don't hear any rattle at 20Hz, that means my headphone is okay? But what if I hear rattle at 10hz?

E11 was set to high gain and max volume/6.5 on dial, G2 had max volume as well. The rattle started at 10Hz but at 20Hz it didn't rattle anymore.

So is this ok or no?

Confused here...

IMO, any rattle is NOT okay.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,963 of 4,580
  It is a tad misleading but there is no better way to put it. The distinction is between "portable" and "mobile". It has tons of power so its very understandable once you hear it why it can't run off of a phone. I think a fantastic feature for the fulla 2 would be a "mobile" and "desktop" switch to switch between high power from a regular USB and low current draw from a phone or tablet. I don't know if that's even feasible though. These K7 series phones love current so you will see a big improvement with an amp.

yeah, i kinda understand. i have the geek out and it's pretty darn powerful and it's not surprising that i can't run it straight out of the iphone...which is why i'm selling mine. thinking of picking up a herus, which i understand can run straight out of an i-device.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,964 of 4,580

So is this ok or no?

Confused here...

Perhaps this might help:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones/talk#!125330

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,965 of 4,580
Ha!  11 days is pretty good.  Happy with the fit and finish?  Seem to be as well made as in the photos?  I'll report back when I get mine and we'll see how shipping time differs.

Yes they are fine to look at. Connectors and sleeving done right. I would have preferred a nylon or paracord type sleeve, but they are not overly stiff.
Not a bad buy at all from my perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back