The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #1,936 of 4,580
  Did you get these ones as well? 

I got the ones linked below.

Here  or Here
They sound fine to me! There are also much easier to manage than the long stock cables!

I just ordered a set of the ones that you linked to. If you want to wait a couple of weeks, I can tell you what I think.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,937 of 4,580
  I got the ones linked below.

Here  or Here
They sound fine to me! There are also much easier to manage than the long stock cables!

I just ordered a set of the ones that you linked to. If you want to wait a couple of weeks, I can tell you what I think.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably have bought one by then but you should still post your impressions as other people are probably wondering as well. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,938 of 4,580
I just ordered this one in a 1.5m length.  The reviews said even though it comes from China and Amazon says it could take several weeks to receive that most people get them in only six or seven days.  Got an email immediately after ordering that said I should receive it in six or seven days too!  I also liked the spring strain relief and the included adapter.  Also available in 1.2m, 2.5m, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-upgrade-pioneer-HDJ-2000-Headphone/dp/B00KAST95Y/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,939 of 4,580

Thanks for the input. I'll probably have bought one by then but you should still post your impressions as other people are probably wondering as well. 

I can say one thing, the ones I bought and linked to are quite nice looking. Without seeing the ones you linked to in person, but only from the pictures on Ebay... the ones I have currently look better. That is not something I tend to worry much about, but some people do. I will be interested to see if the jacket on the new ones is a bit softer and more flexible than the ones that I got.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,940 of 4,580
  I just ordered this one in a 1.5m length.  The reviews said even though it comes from China and Amazon says it could take several weeks to receive that most people get them in only six or seven days.  Got an email immediately after ordering that said I should receive it in six or seven days too!  I also liked the spring strain relief and the included adapter.  Also available in 1.2m, 2.5m, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-upgrade-pioneer-HDJ-2000-Headphone/dp/B00KAST95Y/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Those look ..from the picture, identical to the ones I got. Same connectors, same spring strain relief same 1/8 to 1/4" adapter (3.5mm to 6.5mm).. But they were a couple of bucks cheaper and had free shipping. Take a look at the links. It took 11 days from the order date to delivery. .. I am in Colorado, USA.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,941 of 4,580

Those look ..from the picture, identical to the ones I got. Same connectors, same spring strain relief same 1/8 to 1/4" adapter (3.5mm to 6.5mm).. But they were a couple of bucks cheaper and had free shipping. Take a look at the links. It took 11 days from the order date to delivery. .. I am in Colorado, USA.

Ha!  11 days is pretty good.  Happy with the fit and finish?  Seem to be as well made as in the photos?  I'll report back when I get mine and we'll see how shipping time differs.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #1,942 of 4,580
Got mine today, they seem really nice but I got a pair with the bass rattle in the left cup. Mass drop seems really easy to deal with. I just filled out a warranty form and will send them back for a replacement at their cost. My # was 5000 if it matters. Here's hoping for a good replacement.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #1,943 of 4,580
Also had to send mine in. Took a little over a week turnaround. Happy to say the exchanged pair I received is rattle free!

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,944 of 4,580
Also had to send mine in. Took a little over a week turnaround. Happy to say the exchanged pair I received is rattle free!

How are you guys testing for rattle issues. I'm not sure if I'm paranoid or not but when I do those test, it rattles. But when listening to regular stuff like music, it doesn't rattle. I wonder if there is a right way to test for rattle issues....

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,945 of 4,580
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Use the "Quality" test. The rattle usually is in the 20hz range.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,946 of 4,580
I have a pair that I bought on a whim back on the first massdrop offering.  After a few hours my right driver rattle excessively with tracks that have any sort of bass track.

Easiest song I have found it on is: DJ Tiesto - Battleship Grey
It's definitely not the source because it is a flac rip that I have listened to on my hd650's and K701s for almost three years.
Running a Yulong D100 > Schiit Lyr currently for testing - it is very noticeable.

I sent a request into massdrop to see if they are offering replacement, hopefully I can get them swapped out, otherwise I like the slight difference when compared to my K701's. The K7XX"s seem to be more of a go-to daily choice for me.  Relaxing to listen to.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #1,947 of 4,580
Just got my AKG. Guys who have amps, how does the bass from the AKG compare to without amps? I'm listening straight from an iPhone and while the bass has good kick its slightly drowned by the mid/treble. Debating whether or not I need amps.

If so I'd like recommendations. Preferably sub 100 (but willing to go up to 150). The ideal would be an excellent portable amp/dac combo that can drive my headphone through both my computer and iPhone. But I'm willing to settle for solo desktop amp that drives via computer.

Ones that I've considered are the Schiit Fulla, Schiit Magni 2, Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amp, and various Fiios amps.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,948 of 4,580
  Just got my AKG. Guys who have amps, how does the bass from the AKG compare to without amps? I'm listening straight from an iPhone and while the bass has good kick its slightly drowned by the mid/treble. I switched on Bass Boosting and its an okay quick fix but its a fair bit muddier. Debating whether or not I need amps.

To get the best sound out of them I would strongly recommend and amp/DAC.

Got mine today,

Tried them with my amp/DAC collection, Here are a few if anyone is interested:.

Vali/Rega DAC- I like using the Rega with the Vali it gives it a touch of warmth(Vali is a bit bright to my ears)-  Excellent sounding, good mid bass presence, sub bass is decent, smooth articulate highs.

Lyr (good tubes)/ Benchmark Dac 2- Nice sub bass presence, definitely  better then the Vali in that aspect, Vali hangs tough with it on this particular HP.

Magni/Rega DAC- not the sense of musicality that they had with the Vali, but decent sounding. Good detail.

O2/Rega-see Magni.

Firstwatt J2/ Emotiva xda-2(HE-6 set-up)-resistor box setup- Unreal sounding- impactful, tight bass,  sound stage that rivals the HD-800(almost) and perfect mids. Fantastic.

Few more pieces in the collection to try, but the Firstwatt floored me so I am stuck here for a bit.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,949 of 4,580
  Thanks for the recommendation Oktyabr.  I'll read up on all three.  I expect I'll end up buying one or more AKGs.  I figure as long as I get a decent price, I can always sell them and not lose too much.   Thanks again.

I'd say If you want a taste of K701/K702/Q701, a much more economical path to take would be to just buy a new set of K/Q701 pads and switch them up on your K7XX. That way you'll have a quite a different sounding headphone with just the pad rolling. While the older K's may have sound differences attributed to something other than the pads itself, it's universally agreed upon that the pads (and the foam discs that are under them) are what accounts for most of the sound differences, so even if it is not the exactly the same as the older K's you would probably still get most of the characteristics from the older models. There are even those cheaper third party Q/K series angled pads on ebay now for half the price of the set of OEM pads so perhaps try those... from what I hear the quality, despite it being a knockoff, is pretty good.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #1,950 of 4,580
Just got my AKG. Guys who have amps, how does the bass from the AKG compare to without amps? I'm listening straight from an iPhone and while the bass has good kick its slightly drowned by the mid/treble. Debating whether or not I need amps.

If so I'd like recommendations. Preferably sub 100 (but willing to go up to 150). The ideal would be an excellent portable amp/dac combo that can drive my headphone through both my computer and iPhone. But I'm willing to settle for solo desktop amp that drives via computer.

Ones that I've considered are the Schiit Fulla, Schiit Magni 2, Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amp, and various Fiios amps.
my vote is for the fulla. Versatile, inexpensive good sound. I really like mine, handles everything I throw at it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back