The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #1,921 of 4,580
Anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive shorter cable for these headphones? I was thinking about getting one of those ~$15 ones from ebay. Has anyone tried those? They look decent

I've read they are sturdy but inferior in sound quality when compared to stock.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,922 of 4,580
I've read they are sturdy but inferior in sound quality when compared to stock.

triportsad.gif
 But they look so nice. Not surprised though. I guess I'll pass

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,923 of 4,580
Mar 9, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,924 of 4,580
Anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive shorter cable for these headphones? I was thinking about getting one of those ~$15 ones from ebay. Has anyone tried those? They look decent
I like mine. It's really well built and looks really sharp too. I don't notice any sound degradation either.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #1,926 of 4,580
The mini XLR is made of what appears to be aluminum, so yes.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,927 of 4,580
Fair enough. I'm too lazy to look for the post that said otherwise. Your ears are the best to make judgment, though. Me, personally, I passed on that cable time and time again.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #1,928 of 4,580

Try the original K701, the K702 or perhaps even the Q701.  I've owned the K701 (for years) and now own the K712 and the K7XX.  I think the latter two have more bass response but sacrifice some of the mid and upper detail, and soundstage, of that from the K701.  Never heard a pair of K812.  Point of diminishing returns and all that.

Thanks for the recommendation Oktyabr.  I'll read up on all three.  I expect I'll end up buying one or more AKGs.  I figure as long as I get a decent price, I can always sell them and not lose too much.   Thanks again.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,930 of 4,580
Cables, outside of build quality and whether or not they actually operate as intended (the mini-XLR isn't grounding out somewhere, etc.), really only matter in the way of impedance, increasing the load on the amplifier.  Ideally one would want as low a cable impedance as possible.  This is easily checked with a common multi-meter, if anyone has both a meter and the cable(s) in question?

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,931 of 4,580
I just got my pair in today from the last drop.  It's nice to live right next to the warehouse in NJ.  Well anyways I did some testing and the headphones definitely need more power to get similar volumes as my other full sized headphones.  The testing was done on a Emotiva DC-1, using the 2 headphone jacks with a pair of ATH-AD1000x in comparison.

For about equal volume, the volume was set to:
ATH-AD1000x = -40 db

AKG k7XX = -28 db

That's quite an increase to just get to the same volume.  The headphones sound good, but it will take some time for me to get used to warm bassy signature.  These are probably my headphones with most bass in my collection, this is even compared to closed headphones.  My next set of headphones with most bass are my pair of Sony MDR-7520 closed headphones.  I could definitely tell it was from china because there was a blob of solder on headphone cable lol.

Just to get an idea of where I'm at, do I need a standalone high current amp for the K7xx or am I fine with the Emotiva DC-1 built in amp for optimal performance.  The volume difference with my other headphones is quite noticeable, but they average around the same impedance from 24 ohms to 62 ohms.  Right now I'm fine with volume if I crank it up.  I'm sure the thick padding that adds quite a distance between my ears and drivers adds to that issue.

The Emotiva DC-1 has the specs below:

Power output:
750 mW into 8 ohms
1200 mW into 32 ohms
180 mW into 300 ohms
90 mW into 620 ohms

Update
I just figured why the volume is much lower, AKG uses db/V instead of db/mw like my other headphones.  There is a 9db difference between the k7xx and ad1000x, so large volume difference is due to efficiency.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,934 of 4,580

triportsad.gif
 But they look so nice. Not surprised though. I guess I'll pass

One person mentioned that they lost a bit to the stock cables. Not sure how it is an established fact now.

I got two of the cables. The 1.2 and 1.8 meter variety.
 I spent some time with them last weekend. I did not attempt to A-B them with the stock ones. But I did not notice any sound degradation at all. Actually there were no significant difference.
Again, no critical listening... just listening, no difference. One day I may take the time to do a closer comparison. But for now I would tell anyone asking that they are more than worth the price paid. Worst case one is out under $15.

They are well made, though a bit on the stiff side. The connectors are well done and at least initially very nice looking. I don't know how they will hold up over time.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,935 of 4,580

One person mentioned that they lost a bit to the stock cables. Not sure how it is an established fact now.

I got two of the cables. The 1.2 and 1.8 meter variety.
 I spent some time with them last weekend. I did not attempt to A-B them with the stock ones. But I did not notice any sound degradation at all. Actually there were no significant difference.
Again, no critical listening... just listening, no difference. One day I may take the time to do a closer comparison. But for now I would tell anyone asking that they are more than worth the price paid. Worst case one is out under $15.

They are well made, though a bit on the stiff side. The connectors are well done and at least initially very nice looking. I don't know how they will hold up over time.

Did you get these ones as well? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back