The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,891 of 4,580
Mar 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,893 of 4,580
Did the bass mod (remove stickers), my god it is alot of bass now and it gets low I can feel down to 20hz now. I'm not sure it was without compromise though it is always present to my ears and I will call judgement later but I think it being more tame was better. That being said it seems to have opened up the soundstage and to the people wanting more bass it definitely gets that. Has any one experimented with like half covering the port?

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,894 of 4,580
I've read about people putting scotch tape over the port and poking pinholes of different sizes to varying results. Haven't done it myself since I like the bass-port mod on my Q701 just fine.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,895 of 4,580
  I've read about people putting scotch tape over the port and poking pinholes of different sizes to varying results. Haven't done it myself since I like the bass-port mod on my Q701 just fine.

Watching something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90 and just general music with them off seems like way to much. A happy medium would be best. will is it bad to just leave it half covered with original pads or will that have the same amount as off you think?

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,897 of 4,580
  Watching something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90 and just general music with them off seems like way to much. A happy medium would be best. will is it bad to just leave it half covered with original pads or will that have the same amount as off you think?

I've never experimented with different coverings or materials so I can't tell you from experience. Others have tried using porous tape or different types of foam to dial the bass in so I think you can play around with it. From what I've read, it seems the K7XX is bassier than the Q701, so the basic bass-port mod might color the K7XX moreso than the Q701.

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,898 of 4,580
  I've never experimented with different coverings or materials so I can't tell you from experience. Others have tried using porous tape or different types of foam to dial the bass in so I think you can play around with it. From what I've read, it seems the K7XX is bassier than the Q701, so the basic bass-port mod might color the K7XX moreso than the Q701.

Indeed, in fact for me I have now stuck with stock and also replaced the foam on the outside grills since it seems it was feeling bloated and not tight with the other setup. I would say the stock setup has more bass than the m50. That being said, movies don't have as much kick but all the other stuff is very detailed and I find that was lost with them open (I have a 5.1 setup for movies anyways). This is my opinion of course. Thanks for all your great suggestions btw.

When I have more time might experiment with other materials.

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,899 of 4,580
  Did anyone from the most recent drop get a tracking number and/or receive their pair yet?

Nope. Clusterf**k at Massdrop. Supposedly in their warehouse ready to ship the day after the drop ended (March 6) and they couldn't get their s**t together. Maybe all the delivery trucks in New Jersey broke down or something... one would think they'd have been preparing shipments through the drop, with trucks booked, but I guess not. Disappointed.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,902 of 4,580
Nope. Clusterf**k at Massdrop. Supposedly in their warehouse ready to ship the day after the drop ended (March 6) and they couldn't get their s**t together. Maybe all the delivery trucks in New Jersey broke down or something... one would think they'd have been preparing shipments through the drop, with trucks booked, but I guess not. Disappointed.

Or, you know, it could be the blizzard. Living in Alberta I'm sure you've seen a couple of those, right?

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,903 of 4,580
I hope these AKG 7XX's which I am awaiting delivery on sound close to or better than my original 701s. I lost those to a divorce mess.  I would like to point out different tastes in the audio consumer world.  I belong to a couple of full size/speaker audio sites The sound which the AKG made for me was called "analytical", other headphones like the Beyer DT 770 which I own would lean towards the "musical" side, less transparent holographic and crystalline up top and less defined in the bass. I should be writing this in the Sennheiser 700 appreciation thread where some  people are unhappy with the treble emphasis.  I don't hear it at all with those headphones and enjoy them using them.. 
I used to use analytical speakers and gear in my former home set up.  I will add that there is one big reason  which make my headphone set up a on the balanced side between analytic and musical.  The amp I use, is the now disgraced, SinglePower Extreme with top notch tube (Mullard pre amp ECC32 CV181, and Domino plate 421A output tubes) , with a good neutral old Music Hall CD player, it can be a bit glassy and cold but is reasonably honest IMHO.  There is my age with whatever loss of the high  frequencies I have suffered, it is normal and  almost invariable, which may have taken the edge off the treble extreme on the HD 700s  which I simply and fortunately in this one instance just don't hear, I am in my fifties.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #1,904 of 4,580
Or, you know, it could be the blizzard. Living in Alberta I'm sure you've seen a couple of those, right?

Have seen reports that weather was bad the 5th, but clear (weather and roads) the 6th. What bugs me is there was no communication from MD about a delay. If they'd left a note on the drop discussion page, I'd be cool(er) with it.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,905 of 4,580
This is what happens when you buy from a group discount site. If you want good communication and fast delivery, pay amazon $450 for the k712. Otherwise, stop complaining so the rest of us can enjoy this steal of a deal in peace and harmony:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back