The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 4, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #1,876 of 4,580
Hey guys, not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you take off the earpads on these and take out the flat foam "donuts" in front of the driver (put them somewhere safe), you can experiment with soundstage and the quantity/quality of the mids. Get some 2mm thick craft felt sheets and cut out circles that are the same size as the foam you removed, and vary the size of the center hole, from quarter-sized (which is the size of the hole in the original foam) up to half-dollar. It's pretty interesting, and 100% reversible.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,877 of 4,580
K7XX sounds awesome off both my DAPs, F887 and A17. Yeah, it sounds best off my desktop, but still toe tapping good, otherwise.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,878 of 4,580
Using the app Viper4Android on my Galaxy S3, I can get the Q701 to sound pretty good. I have about 30% of the DSP effects switched on, but the effect is loads better than listening to the stock Samsung sound. The software has a DDC setting(don't know what it stands for) specifically for the Q701. I turn that on along with an impulse response sample(IRS) to simulate a tube pre-amp and amp at high volume, turn on moderate crossfeed, a spatial image simulator, and a dynamic range scaler with 30% bass boost. So I will concede my earlier point about these definitely needing an amp. If you have an Android phone that supports Viper4Android, it's worth a look. Disclaimer: You'll have to root your device to use the app, but it's totally worth it.

http://vipersaudio.com/blog/

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,879 of 4,580
Hey guys, not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you take off the earpads on these and take out the flat foam "donuts" in front of the driver (put them somewhere safe), you can experiment with soundstage and the quantity/quality of the mids. Get some 2mm thick craft felt sheets and cut out circles that are the same size as the foam you removed, and vary the size of the center hole, from quarter-sized (which is the size of the hole in the original foam) up to half-dollar. It's pretty interesting, and 100% reversible.

Also try stacking multiple donuts. This Czech K712 user has some measurements of the results: http://headaudio.weebly.com/clanky/modifikujeme-akg-k712-pro

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,880 of 4,580

Also try stacking multiple donuts. This Czech K712 user has some measurements of the results: http://headaudio.weebly.com/clanky/modifikujeme-akg-k712-pro

I wish I knew how to read those graphs and translate them into something I would understand lol

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,882 of 4,580

I see you're at it again...
dt880smile.png

I followed your mod to the Philips 9500 with very good results.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,883 of 4,580
  got my pair of K7xx a few days ago. since I only have a Fiio X1 and no amp, it sound pretty nice for me. I also tried it on my laptop which has the Conexant 20672. both can drive the cans to a high volume that could do harm to my heardings. Just wondering, with a good amp, how much better it gets? right now, the music I listen to, the soundstage seems still a bit small. so it would be wider with an amp?

I was in the same situation. Straight out of my phone and laptop, the K7XX's sounded great (I'm coming from the M50's) and I didn't dislike it at all. But, I bought an E11K as most people were saying they improved a lot with an amp and yes, it does help. The sound stage opened up and instrument separation is better. There also seems to be more detail. The bass boost on the E11K adds some low end without affecting the rest of the sound. I wouldn't go out and get a $200 amp (unless you really want to) but you should consider getting something like the E11K. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #1,884 of 4,580
The quality from phones' (analog) headphone-out jacks is usually sub-standard. To maintain the purity of the audio signal, it's best to keep the sound in the digital realm until the amplification stage - whenever possible. With this in mind, a portable DAC/amp device (like the FiiO E18) would be a good choice... at least for (some) Android phone users. OPPO just released their HA-2, which is compatible with Android and iOS. Though, its $299 price will be off-putting to most.

Quote:
I've seen two very favourable reviews on the if idsd micro. Anyone have any experience with this amp and the K series?

Hopefully, I be receiving my KXX's next week... and an iFi iDSD Micro soon thereafter.

The 'Micro' is a fairly-expensive portable amp, but from the glowing reviews, it looks (or sounds, in this case) to be worth every penny of its $499 price tag. And its feature list... simply unmatched.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,885 of 4,580
  I have now bass port modded mine. I decided to do it after listening to music and watching some videos through my speakers and marvelling at the bass depth then putting the headphones on and the depth wasn't quite as deep. I missed that from the Q701 bass port modded.

Findings?

Soundstage remains epic, detail remains epic, the bass punch is right back how I like it and liken it to the Q7012 bass port modded but with the advantage of the K7XX detail and soundstage.
These sound a lot better than the Q701 did with the Annie memory foam earpads + bass port mod.
So for anyone considering doing the mod, those are my findings, you decide whether to do it or not for your preferences :p
For me these are now the ultimate VFM vs SQ headphone. Epic detail, epic soundstage, epic bass quality. The X2 was deep but the soundstage doesn't compare to this.

I'm powering both headphones and speakers through the NAD D 3020, for reference. Sweet combination.

I never had rattle before bass port mod and don't have it after either :)

mrk IFIN love you! (no homo). Finally got round to doing the bass port mod and I'm sooo happy!

Always knew that something was lacking, no soul, no definition or character to the sound. The bass port mod is perfect and at last I am enjoying the headphone. Was a little worried that it might have been overbearing or even effect soundstage, but it has not.

Had watched some brief movie parts and it sounds epic!. Some music, oh acoustic strings sound so natural and lifelike. I could go on... This is what I was expecting it to sound like out of the box and how it really should have been.

THANK YOU!

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #1,886 of 4,580
mrk IFIN love you! (no homo). Finally got round to doing the bass port mod and I'm sooo happy!

Always knew that something was lacking, no soul, no definition or character to the sound. The bass port mod is perfect and at last I am enjoying the headphone. Was a little worried that it might have been overbearing or even effect soundstage, but it has not.

Had watched some brief movie parts and it sounds epic!. Some music, oh acoustic strings sound so natural and lifelike. I could go on... This is what I was expecting it to sound like out of the box and how it really should have been.

THANK YOU!

I'm confused exactly what is the bassport mod? Is it the sticker removal? Or the adding cloths? Or both?

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #1,887 of 4,580
It's a sticker removal. That's it.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #1,888 of 4,580
Did anyone from the most recent drop get a tracking number and/or receive their pair yet?

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,889 of 4,580

THANK YOU!

Lol no problem dude! Glad you are seeing the benefit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back