The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,486 of 4,580
  Makes sense lol. Instead of buying all three, just buy yourself a flagship.

Interested to hear your impressions

smart move. I heard the akg k812 at the harmon store in nyc  & I really liked em! very impressive for a flagship to be so easy to drive.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,487 of 4,580
(Insert facetious comment about the multitude of off-topic chatter here.)

This is me doing a comparison (series of vague one-liners) of audio signatures between the K7XX, DT880 (250 ohm) and the Soundmagic HP200.
All through a Schiit Asgard (original flavour) via Antelope Orion 32.

I'm not an audiophile who can pick out every single little nuance or detail in music.
And neither do I have a FLAC fetish. 

I am (currently) a live FOH engineer for audiences of 50 in jazz bars to multiple thousands in churches and theatres. I spend my life hunting natural life-like sound.
I also think in terms of quantitative frequency and time domain descriptors, rather than qualitative often seen of these forums. But I will try.

My reference are Event Opals for overall dynamics, Event 2030s for mids and Adam A7Xs for detail. I won't too talk much about bass/sub-bass, that's not just heard.

I listen to these people a lot:

Daniela Andrade
Joshua Radin
John Mayer
Hillsong (incl. United and Y&F)
Ed Sheeran
Gary Clark Jr.
Brooke Fraser (pre 2013).
Various Cuban.

So a lot of Acoustic Vocals and some rock.
I also have an 8 CD collection of 'Herbert Von Karajan - Karajan Conducts Tchaikovsky' which is beautiful (and ripped in AIFF) but can a bit much.

The 880s have been my go to cans for years for relaxed private listening, and were my first non-closed headphone. To me, they're clean, sweet and not too dry.
In comparison to the K7XXs, they are super spacious and airy and a touch slow. Because of this they sometimes lack the weight required to make some percussive instruments really come to life. However, this has a drawback sometimes. Below are a few songs I went through.

1. John Mayer's 'Belief' [Continuum]

880: In the kick has plenty of focus and depth but the snare seems too light to be just out of reach when imaged together.
7XX: Instantly the crack of the snare is a lot more present, the drums and full image correctly and Mayer's voice is brought forward nicely. Wails and tones of electric guitars and kept smooth.
HP200: The difference between this and the 7XX is night and day. The kick feels thuddy, slightly distracting but not quite muddy. The snare strings chirp and sizzle more than it cracks/snaps.

1. Alicia Key's 'If I Ain't Got You' [The Diary of...]

880: Piano is full bodied, laid-back in the mix and Ms Key's voice sounds natural, soulful and almost insightful.
7XX: Piano becomes too present and a bit clangy. Her voice loses it's smooth, slightly smoky texture and becomes almost demanding/nasal.
HP200: These bring out the whistle-like register similar to Mariah Carey's voice just a touch. Piano rings out a bit more.

1. Kenny G's 'By The Time This Night's Over' [At Last...The Duets' Album]
  2. Kirk Franklin's 'September' [Interpretations]

880: I can separate supporting vocal in both songs and their parts but everything still seems together. Sax in the former is slightly too distant and the male lead a little boxy.
7XX: Fun and engaging. The supporting vocals are forward and kept smooth. Just seems well balanced for everything in both.
HP200: As fun and engaging but the vocals are separated and female vocals becomes quite dominant over the male supporting in the second song. But Kenny's sax soars and just cruises in the former. 

1. Michael Buble's 'Lost' [Call Me Irresponsible]
  2. Jon McLaughlin 'So Close' [Enchanted OST]
  3. Ed Sheeran's 'Tenerife Sea' [X]

880: Male vocals are so very crystal clear. Musically articulate and precise. But a little cold.
7XX: Brings out Buble's voice with more depth. It feels like it takes each song and translates the emotions into real life. 
HP200: Makes Sheeran's voice and guitar strangely disconnected. Different tonality/voicing mismatch.

I may add more later, with music from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, Mumford and Sons, etc, but I think you're getting the general idea of the phones and where they with each other.

Overall the 880s present much more politely, and give much more space especially vocally, and even tonality. Harder to drive and might lose some dyanmics.
The 7XXs bring vocals more in focus which may result in a shoutier female vocal. More dynamic but still well controlled.

You may ask, why the HP200s seem so badly reviewed by me compared to the other two, and why then, I would even keep them if I have two phones that seem to outperform them in every way. But I haven't gone through all the genres, I was just too embarrassed to talk about live recordings (see
Brooke Fraser's 'Violet Hill' (Coldplay Cover) [Live bei Radio Hamburg]) or Taylor Swift. I also have a friend who does crazy EDM music production and these phones quite literally have a bar/club/small venue sound. So before he gigs, I'm his second pair of ears. 

Next mid-fi phone goals for me: X2 and HD650.

Any questions?

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,488 of 4,580

(Insert facetious comment about the multitude of off-topic chatter here.)

This is me doing a comparison (series of vague one-liners) of audio signatures between the K7XX, DT880 (250 ohm) and the Soundmagic HP200.
All through a Schiit Asgard (original flavour) via Antelope Orion 32.

Any questions?

Nice comparo, just jumped on the K7XX deal out of curiosity and was looking to see how it compared with the DT880. I'm not too familiar with the tracks you tested, but I am looking forward to what you have to say about the LoTR soundtrack and Mumford, which I'm more familiar with.

You should definitely try the DT880 with a tube amp (Bottlehead Crack or Valhalla 2) if you get a chance, it really transforms them and boy do they sing!

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,489 of 4,580
Can anyone make a comparison to the hd 700's? I know we are speaking about headphones in 2 different price categories but I'd like to hear some comparisons. Thanks guys

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,491 of 4,580
Is the Fiio E10K a decent pair with these headphones?

It's an OK entry level amp under $100. Others might recommend one of the entry level Schiit amps, instead.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,494 of 4,580
Just cancelled my order guys, after having a listen to the Q701's (yes I know they're slightly different) today, I realized that this headphone is not right for the genre of music I listen to. Hope I made the right decision LOL.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,495 of 4,580
  Just cancelled my order guys, after having a listen to the Q701's (yes I know they're slightly different) today, I realized that this headphone is not right for the genre of music I listen to. Hope I made the right decision LOL.

IMO, I feel like the sound signature of the K7xx is much different & a lot more enjoyable compared to the q701. however, there are a lot of great options out there at this price point, so no worries. I think to get a real sense of what the k7xx sounds like you should try to demo the k702 65th annies or k712 pros. a lot closer sound sig to the k7xx.

the q701 seems a bit artificial, bass-lacking, and overly bright compared to the k7xx (imo of course). still the q701 has amazing sound stage & a great bright sound signature if that is what you are into.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,497 of 4,580
  IMO, I feel like the sound signature of the K7xx is much different & a lot more enjoyable compared to the q701. however, there are a lot of great options out there at this price point, so no worries. I think to get a real sense of what the k7xx sounds like you should try to demo the k702 65th annies or k712 pros. a lot closer sound sig to the k7xx.

the q701 seems a bit artificial, bass-lacking, and overly bright compared to the k7xx (imo of course). still the q701 has amazing sound stage & a great bright sound signature if that is what you are into.

I've been following some of your posts with great interest, both here and on the Massdrop thread.  Kudos to you for trying to help out our overseas friends.

That said I've REALLY been trying to find a conclusive review, preferably with measurements, that can do justice to the question "Is the K702=K702/65th=K712=K7XX or are they somehow different (sound wise)?"  I have the the K712 now and am eagerly awaiting the K7XX.  Once owned the K701 (original Austrian ones).  Haven't heard the the rest of the Q/K family and comparison graphs and solid reviews are very tricky to locate.

I know you own the K7XX.  Have you ever had the opportunity to compare them to the K712 or either of the K702 series?  Do you know of any good reviews that have?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,498 of 4,580

I've been following some of your posts with great interest, both here and on the Massdrop thread.  Kudos to you for trying to help out our overseas friends.

That said I've REALLY been trying to find a conclusive review, preferably with measurements, that can do justice to the question "Is the K702=K702/65th=K712=K7XX or are they somehow different (sound wise)?"  I have the the K712 now and am eagerly awaiting the K7XX.  Once owned the K701 (original Austrian ones).  Haven't heard the the rest of the Q/K family and comparison graphs and solid reviews are very tricky to locate.

I know you own the K7XX.  Have you ever had the opportunity to compare them to the K712 or either of the K702 series?  Do you know of any good reviews that have?

Thanks in advance!

Am i crazy or has this been asked numerous times and also answered numerous times?

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,500 of 4,580

Thanks in advance!

Nope. Unfortunately, I have not been able to personally compare the K7xx against the K712 or any of the K702s. You will probably be unable to find any conclusive measurements on the K7xxs.

If you already own the K712, the K7xx would most likely to extremely similar sonically from my understanding.

The K702 =/= K702 65th Annies. K702 65 Annies = K7xx. K702 65 Annies =/= K712, but they are quite similar. Some users report that the sonic differences between models are simply due to differences in earpads.

Hope this information is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back