The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,216 of 4,580
If I see the word "rattle" come through my subscription feed one more time I'm going to cry myself to sleep in the fetal position. There's no need for such paranoia. Just get off the internet and enjoy your gear. You'll know if there's a mechanical issue.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,217 of 4,580
If I see the word "rattle" come through my subscription feed one more time I'm going to cry myself to sleep in the fetal position. There's no need for such paranoia. Just get off the internet and enjoy your gear. You'll know if there's a mechanical issue.

+100

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,219 of 4,580
Received my headphones in metro Australia, and i have no rattle or any issues at all.
Love these so much, listening to music a new and getting goosebumps, very happy customer right here!

Received my headphones in metro Australia, and i have no rattle or any issues at all.
Love these so much, listening to music a new and getting goosebumps, very happy customer right here!

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,221 of 4,580
I lol at the above :p

Seriously guys, I think we have come to that conclusion about the ratt.....that thing that happens at low frequencies.

Just enjoy the headphones.....worry about other stuff and not that.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,222 of 4,580

Recabled to balanced to work with my schiit mjolnir.

The outer section of the mini xlr in the earcup is metal. ended up having to melt out the inner plastic part of the xlr jack that had the pins, as it needed more force than i was willing to put on it to pop it out. Used a heat gun to soften up the glue to get the metal sheath for the connector out. 

Sounds amazing on the amp. Definitely worth the time.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,224 of 4,580

The outer section of the mini xlr in the earcup is metal. ended up having to melt out the inner plastic part of the xlr jack that had the pins, as it needed more force than i was willing to put on it to pop it out. Used a heat gun to soften up the glue to get the metal sheath for the connector out. 

Thanks for those pics! Planning to rewire for balanced myself, but I'm going to do a Y-cable to bypass the over-the-head "hoops". I love the sound of these cans with my Schiit Fulla, but this combination has an interaction that picks up RFI from a nearby tower, which I've found I can eliminate by placing my hands just so on the hoops. Hopefully a rewire will get rid of this issue.

For those that are hearing distortion at NORMAL listening levels when playing those bass tracks (no I'm not talking about all this rat&%$# bs), check to make sure you are not picking up RFI... test using a different amp, different location, bundling up the cable (this seems to eliminate the RFI for me), etc. The distortion can be a very subtle buzz that rides along with or modulates with the frequency/music (short of hearing an actual radio station when the music stops).

When I listen to the K7XX and Fulla in my basement or at work there is nothing but beautiful music with this pairing. I'm really enjoying the two together, especially given their combined price!

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,225 of 4,580
i bought one off these off ebay recently(not one at those ridiculous 300+ price either) and I do hope these are similar to the 65th anniversary ones. I had them a few years ago but at that time I had a couple of totl headphones but I should be able to appreciate them this time around.

I just need to get around to buying an amp. i've been using my concero hp on my q701 which doesn't seem adequate.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,226 of 4,580

So it sounds noticeably better than when it was single ended?

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,227 of 4,580

Thanks for those pics! Planning to rewire for balanced myself, but I'm going to do a Y-cable to bypass the over-the-head "hoops". I love the sound of these cans with my Schiit Fulla, but this combination has an interaction that picks up RFI from a nearby tower, which I've found I can eliminate by placing my hands just so on the hoops. Hopefully a rewire will get rid of this issue.

For those that are hearing distortion at NORMAL listening levels when playing those bass tracks (no I'm not talking about all this rat&%$# bs), check to make sure you are not picking up RFI... test using a different amp, different location, bundling up the cable (this seems to eliminate the RFI for me), etc. The distortion can be a very subtle buzz that rides along with or modulates with the frequency/music (short of hearing an actual radio station when the music stops).

When I listen to the K7XX and Fulla in my basement or at work there is nothing but beautiful music with this pairing. I'm really enjoying the two together, especially given their combined price!

I had the same problem with my K612 .. a very small buzz and distortion / lack of impact in the low .. my problem was the power outlet. solved by replacing the faulty prolongs

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,229 of 4,580
I went from using a fiio e10 to a schiit mjolnir so yes it sounds noticeably better.

This is probably a combination of the switch to balanced and the amp change, but i couldnt tell you which one contributed more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back