The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #991 of 4,580
Yes, K701 pads on the K7XX. Didn't much care for the memory foam pads on the K701, sounding too V shaped.

Preferences for one pad or another is going to come down to upstream gears. My current set up is tuned more for the K701. A leaner chain pairs better with the stock K7XX.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #992 of 4,580
I am finding that the K7XX seems to fall sonically in between the K712 and K812. The 812 has much more space and refinement but the midrange of the 7XX stands right in there. It is smoother than the 712, and the treble seems a bit more grain-free on the 7XX, which is also the warmer sounding of the three. I used the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable on the 7XX, which tightens the picture up somewhat.

Bottom line: A steal for the price.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #993 of 4,580
  I am finding that the K7XX seems to fall sonically in between the K712 and K812. The 812 has much more space and refinement but the midrange of the 7XX stands right in there. It is smoother than the 712, and the treble seems a bit more grain-free on the 7XX, which is also the warmer sounding of the three. I used the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable on the 7XX, which tightens the picture up somewhat.

Bottom line: A steal for the price.

You would say that the sound coming from the K7XX's are more refined than the K712? That's wonderful news to me 
beerchug.gif

When you say the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable...

...you mean the $275 one?!

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #994 of 4,580

Probably...

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #997 of 4,580
  (GULP) they cost more than the headphone... can't there be any really, really good cables for under $50? I'm sorta giving up on that subject...

Don't worry about the cable, it was purchased for the K712, which was $499. Cables make about 1% difference.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #999 of 4,580
(GULP) they cost more than the headphone... can't there be any really, really good cables for under $50? I'm sorta giving up on that subject...

You can make a really good cable for under $50 very easily with this style cable. If you don't own a soldering iron, plenty of DIY members that do.

As beagle said, it's the least important sonically if at all. Ideally it should not color/change the sound at all.
Make sure you choose a cable for functionality, build quality and style because there is no magic formula to tell you how any specific cable will affect your specific setup sonically. That $300 pure silver cable just might end up sounding slightly worse than the stock OFC copper. Again, most of the time the answer is little to nothing at all changes.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #1,000 of 4,580
  i have a k612 and i bought a k7xx ( my american friend bring it in mid january ) .
i want know if k7xx maintain naturalness of k612 of voice and instruments but with more mid-bass impact ( especially battery impact where IMO i found my k612 a bit  lacking)
this questions can seem  ridiculous because soon i have it , but my curiosity torture myself .. i think that this will make me feel better XD
thanks in advance

Since you asked me. The 7xx IMO somewhat maintains it  "naturalness" that you refer to compared to the K612 but with much more mid/upper bass impact and thereby making it more warmer sounding and to a certain degree less detailed, all relative.of course..

So not a very helpful answer, you gain something and loose something, although lesser on one of the units. Depending on preferences. Personally, I have after some more thoroughly listening sessions decided to keep both pairs for now since I now feel that the K612/K7xx complement each other very well. Of course related to source/amp and choice of music and how I and many of us, on odd/random moments, like to experience a very personal choice of music. 

What you will perceive as better..  I'm sure you will figure out on your own and very soon...

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #1,001 of 4,580
  Since you asked me. The 7xx IMO somewhat maintains it  "naturalness" that you refer to compared to the K612 but with much more mid/upper bass impact and thereby making it more warmer sounding and to a certain degree less detailed, all relative.of course..

So not a very helpful answer, you gain something and loose something, although lesser on one of the units. Depending on preferences. Personally, I have after some more thoroughly listening sessions decided to keep both pairs for now since I now feel that the K612/K7xx complement each other very well. Of course related to source/amp and choice of music and how I and many of us, on odd/random moments, like to experience a very personal choice of music. 

What you will perceive as better..  I'm sure you will figure out on your own and very soon...

thanks mate.. how is the bass impact of k7xx compared to hd600?

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,002 of 4,580
thanks mate.. how is the bass impact of k7xx compared to hd600?

For me, HD600 has a bit more "ooomph" in low-mids, but K7XX has more extension. I find the AKG funnier, with its huge soundstage, crispy highs and better dynamics all around.
HD600 is less grainy / cleaner, has more details, and may be closer to reality in its FR, but it sounds a bit constricted / laid-back compared to the AKG. Beautiful with chamber music, a bit boring with rock/pop.

Ali

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,003 of 4,580
Im having a weird comfort issue where I feel more pressure by the earpads on my right ear than my left, (didn't notice that the first day I got them when I wore em for hours), and it feels like the memory foam isn't setting in to make the pressure even on both ears. Anyone have any possible tips for this?

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,004 of 4,580
Memory foam?

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,005 of 4,580
  Im having a weird comfort issue where I feel more pressure by the earpads on my right ear than my left, (didn't notice that the first day I got them when I wore em for hours), and it feels like the memory foam isn't setting in to make the pressure even on both ears. Anyone have any possible tips for this?

Are they sitting in the same position on your head? Newton's Third Law means that forces on both sides should be at least very very close as I don't see much lateral force coming from the band. It's most probably a pressure issue. Some memory foam only reacts at a certain temperature range. Is it very cold where you live? Maybe the earpads aren't uniform and one has rotated so there is more pressure in different zones.

Has someone punched you in the side of the head? Toothache? Swollen Lymph Nodes? These are actually possibilities which affect your sensory perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back