The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #976 of 4,580
  I received my pair of K7xx today. Serial # is irrelevant to me, but I was probably very lucky to receive them so quickly and being one of the later purchasers. I do wish that my Geek Pulse order/backing could make a similar jump and bring me ahead of many others, but that is purely being selfish. I do truly wish that those Thinsulate-lined boots would have been added to my K7xx package since I will need those next week...

It's been a while/long time ago since I had the the original AKG K701, so I can't offer any impression compared to this one. I do have a pair of AKG K612 right here and now, it is even the limited "Made In Austria" version...  I have quite enjoyed my version of the K612 related to my preferences, fairly neutral, expansive sound stage and very comfortable.  

I wasn't expecting a grand difference between the K612 and K7xx. But what right out of the box immediately hit my brain was an even larger sound stage, more in width than depth.  Deeper bass bass presentation, indicating that the K7xx presents more sub bass and probably more mid bass as well but without interfering too much with the crucial lower mid range.  Treble seems similar extended but slightly more smooth sounding with the K7xx vs. K612. So IMO, overall a more consumer oriented sounding AKG K6/7xx release and absolutely in a positive way. 

i have a k612 and i bought a k7xx ( my american friend bring it in mid january ) .
i want know if k7xx maintain naturalness of k612 of voice and instruments but with more mid-bass impact ( especially battery impact where IMO i found my k612 a bit  lacking)
this questions can seem  ridiculous because soon i have it , but my curiosity torture myself .. i think that this will make me feel better XD
thanks in advance

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #980 of 4,580

Of course you are right, in regards to the impedance matching (other than the 36 ohm 812, aren't the rest 62ohm?), but no one (I don't think!) is claiming the K7XX is an entirely new hp, with a new driver...  some claim it's based on the Annie, which others say is the K702 or the Q701 with different ear pads...   Some say it's the K712 with a "ninja" paint scheme.  Regardless they are all more similar than they are different.  The 7XX is likely to fall in there somewhere, when it's finally tested.  The point is that the K7XX is not an entirely new headphone and thus shares the "AKG house sound" with at least one, if not all, of the similar models...   Bright?  Compared to what, exactly?  Is it "veiled" at all? ~snort~:

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #981 of 4,580
Of course you are right, in regards to the impedance matching (other than the 36 ohm 812, aren't the rest 62ohm?), but no one (I don't think!) is claiming the K7XX is an entirely new hp, with a new driver...  some claim it's based on the Annie, which others say is the K702 or the Q701 with different ear pads...   Some say it's the K712 with a "ninja" paint scheme.  Regardless they are all more similar than they are different.  The 7XX is likely to fall in there somewhere, when it's finally tested.  The point is that the K7XX is not an entirely new headphone and thus shares the "AKG house sound" with at least one, if not all, of the similar models...   Bright?  Compared to what, exactly?  Is it "veiled" at all? ~snort~:

The AKG K7xx are not "bright." The bass boost ensures that. In fact, AKG's own Q701 are brighter than them.

They can be too "bright" for someone's subjective preferences, but from my personal headphone collection/experience, they fall a tiny bit darker than what I consider to be neutral. I would say similar sound sig vibe as the Oppo PM1s (warmer smoother presentation rather than bright).

The K7xx are definitely bassier than the he560s in a direct comparision. The K7xx's treble is actually less emphasized than the HE560. And I do not even consider the HE560s to be bright.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #982 of 4,580
side by side, the K701 is much brighter and leaner. the K7XX is too warm and bassy for my tastes. swapping the K701 pads on the K7XX makes for a pleasant listening experience, fixing the issues i have with the stock K701. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #983 of 4,580
Has anyone tried removing the foam disks behind the ear pads? I like the sound a lot better. Seems make them brighter so they sound more clear and airy. I found the stock sound to be too warm and a little muddy. Keep in mind I like a more neutral sound and I mostly use the Fischer Audio DBA-02.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #985 of 4,580
I am doing a head-to-head with the K712 and the K7XX and will get back..

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #986 of 4,580
I don't find the K7XX warm or bassy at all. Matter of references / habits, I presume.

Ali

I dont think the 7xxs are should be considered bassy pair of headphones like the basshead-oriented vmoda m100/pro900/etc. The K7xx does not have as much bass emphasis as the ATHM50x from direct comparison.

The K7xx are quite close to "neutral" like the HE560 and PM1. they are just slightly on the warmer side of neutral, similar to the PM1's presentation in terms of general sound sig.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #989 of 4,580
  side by side, the K701 is much brighter and leaner. the K7XX is too warm and bassy for my tastes. swapping the K701 pads on the K7XX makes for a pleasant listening experience, fixing the issues i have with the stock K701. 

Fascinating!

Just to make sure I understood, you prefer the K7XX equipped with K701 ear pads?  And if so, did you find any improvement
in the K701 equipped with the K7XX pads?

Sorry if I got this backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back