The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #751 of 4,580
Anyone can confirm if they have "hollow" feel for the center soundstage? I feel like there's something missing in the center with my Q701. But then again, I'd never buy AKG simply because the headband size is too small for my head, so HD600 it is :D

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #752 of 4,580
Just my guess, but I'd imagine that the rattling is just a wire against the housing somewhere. I haven't had the issue yet.
While annoying, the issue could likely be fixed pretty easily. Hopefully they get you all taken care of in a timely manner.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #754 of 4,580
Hey guys a quick question to power them i have an old sound blaster audigy sound card out put trough an optical cable to a pioneer reciver vsx 816 which i use as a dac and preot to a bravo v3.
My question is should i buy a new dac or the pioneer reciver should be enough to drive them thanks heaps

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #755 of 4,580
My question is should i buy a new dac or the pioneer reciver should be enough to drive them thanks heaps

Unless you want a DAC/amp combo unit, a DAC won't help much.
If on a budget, I'm not sure what you use that receiver for, but take the PREOUT L&R (Ref Image) on the top right section into a amp (a Magni or Asgard should be plenty) if you want to make sure your K7XXs are well driven.

Can't seem to find any headphone out power specs in the online documentation. Just use the speaker outs. 
L3000.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #756 of 4,580
thanks for the reply
I use the pionee reciver just as a dac as it says its a 24 bit 192khz dac then i use the preout (which it has if you want to power individual channel) to the bravo v3 headphone amp rather than using the headphone output from the pioneer reciver directly

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #757 of 4,580
These sound really good out of the box.
I've used Grado SR225 for almost 9 years now and they have been my reference headphones.
I'm trying to find a place for my Grado's in a specific genre where I would prefer them to K7XX but so far I can't.

Sound Stage
-The sound stage is not as great as my brothers K701 but still pretty good.
 -Better then Grado SR225 hands down.

Ease of listening
-They are also not as analytical as K701, so easier to listen to for longer period of time.
-I can listen to these and Grado SR225 for a very long time at moderate volume level.

Comfort
-More comfortable then my SR 225 because of the soft ear cushion.

Sound Isolation?
I can't hear as much outside noise with these as I can with the Grado SR225.
-I had my brother come in today and I didn't hear it at all with the K7XX.
--Never would have happened had I been listening to my Grado SR225.
--The Grado SR225 are great if I need to pay attention to my surroundings and want to enjoy great sound.

Bass
-Better then K701
-Better then SR225
-Not as good as M50x
--M50x is a closed can, the AKG K7XX have a nice bass feel for open cans.

Rattling issue:
Rattling Issue confirmed on right side :frowning2:
Left side is at
(~80% Fiio e12 & 85% Windows Volume)
Right side is at
(~80% Fiio e12 & 60% Windows Volume)
@ 60HZ and 70HZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Sf7rSOU78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VQ_vtFkXHk
-Normal listening is at 80% e12 and <10 Windows Volume
-Max I would ever listen to is at ~50 Windows volume for only a few minutes at a time...
I think it's fine though, I tested my Grado SR225 at similar volume at those frequencies and also I get rattling sound.
I guess any headphone is going to start rattling at enough volume.
Only real issue I find is that the right driver is weaker then left driver.

These are a very good value @ $200 USD

Update-
When I said right driver is weaker then left driver I just mean that rattle starts on right side easier then left side.
I did not mean that right side sounds quieter. So far I have not noticed any sound imperfections at normal listening levels.
The volumes at which phones started to rattle are pretty high. I doubt I would notice any rattling even if I was listening at ear bleeding volume. Unless the song is entirely in those low ranges there should not be a problem.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #758 of 4,580
The rattling sound went away with my Q701 after some burn in. The amp may also be better on one channel vs the other making it rattle more on one side. Is your test with a test tome with the same exact volume on the left and right?

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #759 of 4,580
For the love of Christ. Those with other AKG 700 series headphones... SWAP THE PADS AND TELL US WHAT THE 7XX SOUNDS LIKE WHEN USING THE OTHER PADS.

I already mentioned they'd just be rehashed Annie's, but surprised they are using the newer Annie and 712 pads. I thought the pads wouldn't be angled like the old Annie pads.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #762 of 4,580
For the love of Christ. Those with other AKG 700 series headphones... SWAP THE PADS AND TELL US WHAT THE 7XX SOUNDS LIKE WHEN USING THE OTHER PADS.

I already mentioned they'd just be rehashed Annie's, but surprised they are using the newer Annie and 712 pads. I thought the pads wouldn't be angled like the old Annie pads.

Wait, these are angled?  I didn't inspect closely but it didn't seem like it.  Is the angle supposed to be incredibly gentle or something? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back