The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #736 of 4,580
  These are definitely worth the $200. Solid pair of reference cans without having to spend a fortune. My metal music is coming through crisp and clear, albeit slightly more treble happy than I'm normally accustomed to. You need to head into Planar or $500+ territory for better detail.

I can't leave well enough alone though, so I'll be converting them to balanced soon. I think that will really kick these up a notch and make the perfect "budget" balanced headphone for my Pulse Xfi.

Have you tried the HD800? So treble happy I had to sell them, detailed sure but I couldn't listen to metal with them at all.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #738 of 4,580
The AKG K7xx's at $200 are IMO certainly not overpriced, other higher priced AKG's units may have been so and disappointed a majority in the past/present. AKG's can be very much dependent on matching with  source/amp/genre/time of day/Easter bunny/X-mas stockings colour preference,  which can to a certain degree explain certain divergence. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #741 of 4,580
Just unboxed these. Not as comfortable for me as I had hoped. HD598 is handily beat them for my head shape.

Build quality is as expected. These are definitely worth their price point.

Only have a few songs played thus far so not much else to say. It has shimmery highs, present Mids, and decent bass. The 2k peak is pretty evident. Getting a lot of upper Mids coming through. It's always been a sensitive spot for me. The warmth seems to keep it in check a bit.
Going to see how we adjust together overtime and try it on some other gear.

I was #80 and got a number below 50. That's good I suppose but really doesn't matter.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #742 of 4,580
  I believe that it very much would depend on if it's a silver or copper cable and if it has been cryogenic treated.  I also would consider where you intend to place the output jack of the cable, could make a difference, related to comfort and how much voltage/current you want to feed one way or another/placement... Improvement may be individual experienced.. if not, order something else or move to a different climate..

My guess is they're warm. Hahahahahahahaha. Bored cuz mine won't be here until February.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #746 of 4,580
Has anyone heard the K812s?  How do they compare to these (7XX) or the Annies?

No contest IMHO. K812 blows K7xx and other K/Q7-- variants out of the water as it should at the respective price points. But the K7xx and related phones are undoubtedly the better value. That said, people who are having treble or distortion issues with the K812 could conceivably prefer the K7xx which is very well balanced and clean sounding to me. And not harsh at all which some find the K812 to be. But (to date) I have not had issues with my (actually loaner) K812 and think it trounced the 7-- cans on soundstage, detail and other technicalities. YMMV though. Will try to write up my impressions of K7xx later but suffice it I say this is a great all rounder that many people will love at a great price. At $200 they are a steal (but so are the Q701 IMO). More similar to HD600 than I Would have had expected but at a much better price than he venerable HD600.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #747 of 4,580
  What's the sound signature of Thinsulate boots? Would an aftermarket cable improve them?

Well, they are definitely sensitive to running direction :wink:

Has anyone heard the K812s?  How do they compare to these (7XX) or the Annies?

I once had the Anniversary and now own the K812. I won't do detailed comparisons from memory, but they are quite a bit apart, sound signature (i.e. tuning) as well as level of details. I really like the K812, but the K7XX is of course a much better value/price, given that they should be identical to the AE.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #748 of 4,580
I've been reading in the MD discussion that some are having bass rattle issues. The Anniversary and Q701 had this same QC issue, last year. I really hope this isn't the same case, here!

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #750 of 4,580
Yeah, mine has the rattle issue on the right side.  I've been reassured the issue will be resolved, just waiting for support to contact me.  The issues puts a bit of a damper on the whole thing, but overall I'm still really excited about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back