The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #106 of 4,580
  Thanks, I don't speak German haha but the test sounded decent. Bit of buzz
Guess the only downside is the 2-cable thing..would get messy. But then again I think you'd need to use a Y-adapter out of an all-in-one solution like the boompro anyway so it probably doesn't matter either way..

It's less messy than you might think.

That's a Q701 cable with a v1 ModMic but the concept is the same.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #108 of 4,580
Happy owner of many Stax's (Lambda NB, SR-5 regular, gold, Gamma Pro, Sigma Pro, SR-009), only one regular heaphones (HD600), this one is very very tempting...
Edit : ok, trigger pulled, so be it 
redface.gif

Ali

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #110 of 4,580
Hahaha yeah sums it up hey.. brand new pair of good headphones that I've wanted to try out for ages at a bargain price... no chance of resisting

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #112 of 4,580
LOL Massdrop the site that must not be mentioned or your posts get removed by the mods???

I will most probably buy these to try but just what is it with Massdrop giving a MSRP of $649.99 when they commissioned them to be their own product and they are not available anywhere else? 

What a topsy turvy world we live in!

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #113 of 4,580
  Yeah I literally just bought a pair of ad-900x's (they shipped on 4 days ago) and even I felt like I couldn't resist picking these up too. Looks like I'm gonna be selling a pair of headphones soon though lol 

I'll be interested in your comparison! I really like the ad900x's for vocals. If I got the K7XX's, they would be duking it out with the AD900X's for me as well I think.

I also have the AKG K240 Sextetts (LP), and I love them. However, I listen to a lot of electronic music (ie trance) and I find myself using the T50RP's, X1's or Sony V7's more often because of their bass (I suppose I'm a bit of a bass head). So I'm not sure if the K7XX's will have enough bass to make me really happy, or if they will be different enough from the Sextetts or the  AD900X's to be worth also having.

My understanding at this time is that the K7XX's are pretty much the K702 AE's. The below is an interesting review of the K702 AE's, and at around the 5:10 mark he says "they don't like synthesized bass whatsoever". 

So that's helping me with my resistance at the moment. If anyone has any "resistance crushing" responses to that, bring'em on!

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #114 of 4,580
  LOL Massdrop the site that must not be mentioned or your posts get removed by the mods???

I will most probably buy these to try but just what is it with Massdrop giving a MSRP of $649.99 when they commissioned them to be their own product and they are not available anywhere else? 

Yeah, I never give their MSRP's much heed.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #115 of 4,580
Sorry everyone I'm trying to keep up but the thread moves quickly!

Quote:

The 650 is warm, while the Annies and especially the 712 is balanced.  So relative to the sound signature as a whole, the 650 has more bass.  While not exactly the same by any means, the two AKG's are closer to the HD 600.

I'd agree with this. It doesn't sound all that close to an HD600 in overall character, but in terms of bass volume it's a pretty good analogy.

The K702 65th Anniversary Edition has a "Made in Austria" label on it...
confused.gif

The theory goes that production was being moved from Austria to PRC gradually. The Q series seems to have made the switch first, while the special editions and K812 continued in Austria for a while. I'm almost positive some or all of the K712 are now made in PRC. But they may have finished the entire run of 65th Editions before making the switch.

K812 is still an unknown at this point - all the ones I've heard of are still made in Austria. If I was Harman I'd keep it in Austria at least for the first few batches, and then make the switch. But we'll see. 

lol apparently there has been a "rule change" decision by the moderators whom decided that massdrop is an exception to the rule as they are actually a "reseller" despite the fact they are still promoting themselves as a group buy website. A bit confusing, because logically... all group buy websites are simply resellers.

glad to see this change in policy though.

edit: so jude explained to me very nicely the exact logical reasoning for this change and it has to do with the vendors that massdrop gets their products from. so previously, they may have gotten headphones from non-authorized distributors, but now they get them from official sources.

Jude says he spoke with them on the phone several times and then met them in person at their main office, so he is now a lot more confident in their operation. I can see how it would be important to know it wasn't gray-market stuff before giving it a seal of approval.

some free review units and the promise to be working with some big companies could do more than just changing the rules

Yeah I'm sure a $200 review unit is a big deal to Jude....

How will this compare to the HD 650?  Which will have a fuller sound with more bass?

Edit:  I would also like to throw the Sony MA900 into this discussion.

HD650 is warmer and more bassy, with laid back upper mids. The AKG is has a somewhat more even tone to my ears, until you get to those upper mids which seem more prominent. 

I suspect they are using the MSRP from the 65th AE which in some places (like Amazon) showed the same $649 MSRP.

I recall seeing unusually high MSRPs listed in some places even for the older K and Q series too - like in the 5 or 6 hundred dollar range. I always wondered where that came from, but Massdrop certainly isn't the first place to do it. 

I'll be interested in your comparison! I really like the ad900x's for vocals. If I got the K7XX's, they would be duking it out with the AD900X's for me as well I think.

I also have the AKG K240 Sextetts (LP), and I love them. However, I listen to a lot of electronic music (ie trance) and I find myself using the T50RP's, X1's or Sony V7's more often because of their bass (I suppose I'm a bit of a bass head). So I'm not sure if the K7XX's will have enough bass to make me really happy, or if they will be different enough from the Sextetts or the  AD900X's to be worth also having.

My understanding at this time is that the K7XX's are pretty much the K702 AE's. The below is an interesting review of the K702 AE's, and at around the 5:10 mark he says "they don't like synthesized bass whatsoever". 

So that's helping me with my resistance at the moment. If anyone has any "resistance crushing" responses to that, bring'em on!

If you fancy yourself a basshead, even the improved bass on the K7XX/K712/etc is probably not enough for you. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #116 of 4,580

If you fancy yourself a basshead, even the improved bass on the K7XX/K712/etc is probably not enough for you. 

You were supposed to crush my resistance! Oh well, it's not very often that my wallet thanks someone around here... So thank you :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #117 of 4,580
I'd agree with this. It doesn't sound all that close to an HD600 in overall character, but in terms of bass volume it's a pretty good analogy.
---
HD650 is warmer and more bassy, with laid back upper mids. The AKG is has a somewhat more even tone to my ears, until you get to those upper mids which seem more prominent.

As I'm listening to the HD650 for the first time today, these statements make me feel pretty confident that I'll he happier with them over the KXX. Still, very nice deal and I'm glad to know there's an audiophile section on Massdrop.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #118 of 4,580

The theory goes that production was being moved from Austria to PRC gradually. The Q series seems to have made the switch first, while the special editions and K812 continued in Austria for a while. I'm almost positive some or all of the K712 are now made in PRC. But they may have finished the entire run of 65th Editions before making the switch.

K812 is still an unknown at this point - all the ones I've heard of are still made in Austria. If I was Harman I'd keep it in Austria at least for the first few batches, and then make the switch. But we'll see. 

My new K712s are made in Austria.

I think the 702 65th are extremely similar to the K712s and this 7XX looks to be the K712s with black instead of orange. Nonetheless I still want a pair.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #119 of 4,580
I'm going to surmise that 7XX = Anniversary with new color scheme.

Calling it now.

Nothing wrong with that. Its my fave variant.

7XX = Anniversary = Q701 with new pads that add bass/warmth.

And I have heard: K701, K702, Q701, Anniversary, K712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back