The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,476 of 4,580
Just thought I'd pop my head in here and say I've ordered from the latest massdrop - anyone know what the typical freight forwarding timescale is for delivery to the UK?

I'll probably be pairing mine up with my diy Cmoy (I've been using a pair of HA-S500s on my Exynos (Wolfson DAC) Note 4 quite happily lately without the need for an amp, but I suspect I'll be wanting to drive the K7XX with something, so I'll dig it out and refurbish the little amp for use again...).

Really looking forward to these cans, the HA-S500s are nice, but I've longed for a decent pair of over ear 'phones for a while now.

May 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #2,478 of 4,580
I have a set of cheap ones from ebay and I've heard no difference at all.

Thanks for mentioning this. I just got this cable (appears to be the same) from that same vendor thanks to your rec: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261798838364?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560665497306&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Works fine for me, and looks quite nice with the red/black braid :)

May 28, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2,479 of 4,580

I'll probably be pairing mine up with my diy Cmoy (I've been using a pair of HA-S500s on my Exynos (Wolfson DAC) Note 4 quite happily lately without the need for an amp, but I suspect I'll be wanting to drive the K7XX with something, so I'll dig it out and refurbish the little amp for use again...).

I think you will be happy going with an amp.  The sound is big and a little bass heavy in my estimation, but I am not a bass head. You need good power when amplifying bass.  Good Luck

May 28, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2,480 of 4,580
The K7XX's look like an awesome buy! I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s right now, but they're old and very close to the end of their run. Can anyone compare these two headphones? Is there any drop/gain in overall quality? I'm powering them off a Bottlehead Crack.

Thanks!

May 28, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2,481 of 4,580
I have been listening to my K7XX most of the afternoon with the Bravo V2 amp.  Given the Bravos diminutive size and price, it's performance is incredible .  I am truly dazzled by this amp.  It is on sale over on MassDrop for $79.  I thought I paid less just a few months ago, but still $10 difference matters little when you can get an amp the works well with some heavy hitter headphones. I also use HD 700 Sennheisers.   The alternatives are, it seems much more expensive .  I am sure all are great amps bu a little giant killer is here.
If you like to roll tubes this amp is amenable.  It uses one 12AU7.  I have only tried some special variants. For instance the 7316 made by Amperex, some of the tubes I collected are as expensive as the amp itself. 
I I have read about  the" Projects" by the Garage 1217 company  are made with incredible versatility regarding tube rolling, you can use almost any small signal tube in some of them.  Their prices seem fair so I might buy one myself.  I do  wonder what the tube's function is?

May 29, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,482 of 4,580

That's the value of good amplification, my friend! I haven't tried my K7XX with a lot of different amps but people say they "scale" well. Anecdotally, the Schiit Lyr 2 seems to pair particularly well.

For what it's worth (maybe nothing?), a few times in a pinch, I've driven my K7XX from my iPhone but the sound seemed dull. The iPhone can drive the K7XX louder than I can tolerate but the quality of the sound just isn't the same as when I use a dedicated amp.

Indeed, got a fiio e12 that works nicely. Working from the X5 itself it is indeed thin. Can be loud but thin on the bottom.
But also looking for a affordable amp for the desktop. The HP itself is light but nowhere near  portable. 

May 30, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,484 of 4,580
Need help/suggestion. I got my K7XX from massdrop and love it. It fits perfectly and sounds great.
I also ordered DT880 Manufaktur and received it. This thing wont fit on my head as the headband is not long enough. I messaged/emailed massdrop to process my return about 7 days ago and there has been no response from them.
What am i doing wrong?

May 30, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #2,485 of 4,580
Need help/suggestion. I got my K7XX from massdrop and love it. It fits perfectly and sounds great.
I also ordered DT880 Manufaktur and received it. This thing wont fit on my head as the headband is not long enough. I messaged/emailed massdrop to process my return about 7 days ago and there has been no response from them.
What am i doing wrong?

PM this guy: http://www.head-fi.org/u/186840/hideouspride

May 30, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,486 of 4,580
What am i doing wrong?

@maheeinfy,

do note that dissatisfaction of a product is not really a valid reason for returning on Massdrop. Massdrop isn't a traditional retailer. If you end up not liking an item, you can't really just return it since it's a group buy. it's not like amazon where you can return just because. Massdrop shouldn't have a big enough profit margin to sustain that sort of thing. returns are generally only reserved for actual defective products.

you can definitely contact support and see if they will take your return, but just something to keep in mind.

May 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2,487 of 4,580
What am i doing wrong?

Even with the extenders all the way out?

May 30, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,489 of 4,580
  @maheeinfy,

do note that dissatisfaction of a product is not really a valid reason for returning on Massdrop. Massdrop isn't a traditional retailer. If you end up not liking an item, you can't really just return it since it's a group buy. it's not like amazon where you can return just because. Massdrop shouldn't have a big enough profit margin to sustain that sort of thing. returns are generally only reserved for actual defective products.

you can definitely contact support and see if they will take your return, but just something to keep in mind.

Thank you. I'd think of this as defective item(design flaw may be). I contacted support more than a week ago and they didn't respond. I contacted again like 3 days ago and still no response.  Makes me think twice about purchasing from massdrop in future.

May 30, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,490 of 4,580
  Thank you. I'd think of this as defective item(design flaw may be). I contacted support more than a week ago and they didn't respond. I contacted again like 3 days ago and still no response.  Makes me think twice about purchasing from massdrop in future.

yea, "design flaws" aren't really defective items for most places with a stricter return policy. I know we get spoiled by amazon's return policy, but yea, massdrop isn't really a place you should be purchasing from if you aren't 100% sure you want the item.

good luck with your inquiry. hope it works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back