The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #6,167 of 6,345
Hi folks.

Anyone change the velour pads to a leather one? Its a nice mod for this headphone?
Not me, I think the K712 memory foam velour pads are one of the nicest features.
Leather can be very hit and miss for comfort and any pad change will likely have a dramatic effect on the sound of the headphones. I like the tuning with the stock pads.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #6,168 of 6,345
Hi ,

I am not sure if this is the right thread.

I just bought akg k702 and I am amazed by how good they are compared to my hd660s.

The only point in favour of the hd660s I see is that they do sound good with all types of music but don't shine anywhere.

The k702 with right music really shine .

I am thinking of doing the bass mod, does anyone has experience with this mod by any chance ? Is it worth doing?

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #6,169 of 6,345
Hi ,

I am not sure if this is the right thread.

I just bought akg k702 and I am amazed by how good they are compared to my hd660s.

The only point in favour of the hd660s I see is that they do sound good with all types of music but don't shine anywhere.

The k702 with right music really shine .

I am thinking of doing the bass mod, does anyone has experience with this mod by any chance ? Is it worth doing?

Thanks!
Might get a better response in a K701/Q701/k702 thread as the K712 has pretty good bass balance (I much prefer it to my Q701).
The guy in this video seems to indicate its kind of subtle, but may be worth a try (can easily reverse):

Sep 5, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #6,170 of 6,345
Might get a better response in a K701/Q701/k702 thread as the K712 has pretty good bass balance (I much prefer it to my Q701).
The guy in this video seems to indicate its kind of subtle, but may be worth a try (can easily reverse):

Thank you! I have tried the mod and reversed it immediately , they had more bass but soundstage descreased and they lost some clarity and detail , I will keep them stock.

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #6,171 of 6,345

AKG K702 ($210AU) vs AKG K712 ($360AU) worth the difference when I use a parametric EQ to match the frequency response anyway?​

Pretty much everything I have read shows the K702 and K712 as being similar, the major differences being something that can be adjusted by parametric EQ. It's incredibly frustrating that reviews and opinions are regularly bogged down in the analysis of something that can be easily adjusted to suit tastes with a little EQ. (Obviously this is simplifying things a bit, but good EQ does make a massive difference for the average listener).

I know the sound stage is slightly wider on the K702, but could that just be the stock FR difference? Is there a blank spot in the centre of the sound stage on the K702's that the K712 doesn't have? Has anyone on here compared them after they have been EQ'd? Are there any tangible differences in performance after EQ? The drivers are very similar but the price difference is quite substantial with the K712 being +70% more expensive where I live ($210 vs $360).

These will be my jack-of-all-trade headphones for home use, so music, gaming, movies etc. Will be hooking these up to a Qudelix 5K for the PEQ.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #6,172 of 6,345

AKG K702 ($210AU) vs AKG K712 ($360AU) worth the difference when I use a parametric EQ to match the frequency response anyway?​

Pretty much everything I have read shows the K702 and K712 as being similar, the major differences being something that can be adjusted by parametric EQ. It's incredibly frustrating that reviews and opinions are regularly bogged down in the analysis of something that can be easily adjusted to suit tastes with a little EQ. (Obviously this is simplifying things a bit, but good EQ does make a massive difference for the average listener).

I know the sound stage is slightly wider on the K702, but could that just be the stock FR difference? Is there a blank spot in the centre of the sound stage on the K702's that the K712 doesn't have? Has anyone on here compared them after they have been EQ'd? Are there any tangible differences in performance after EQ? The drivers are very similar but the price difference is quite substantial with the K712 being +70% more expensive where I live ($210 vs $360).

These will be my jack-of-all-trade headphones for home use, so music, gaming, movies etc. Will be hooking these up to a Qudelix 5K for the PEQ.
I use to have the 701s till they just wore out ( over 10 years ) . The headband just disintegrated from use. I bought the 712s and the sound was better than the 701s. The headphone cable was changeable as well. I was stuck with the stock cable on the 701s. I upgraded the cable with moon audios silver dragon. Worked well for me in that my amplifiers tend to be a bit warmer sounding. The silver dragon could be a bit cold sounding with a analytical sounding amplifier. The 712s have as you said have better bass and are easier to drive than the 701s .

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #6,173 of 6,345

FWIW, I've been using Sonarworks calibration software with my AKG K702 and the first thing that comes to mind is how close the software has brought the K702's sound signature to that of the K712.

Oct 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #6,174 of 6,345
FWIW, I've been using Sonarworks calibration software with my AKG K702 and the first thing that comes to mind is how close the software has brought the K702's sound signature to that of the K712.
Interesting . But the moon audio silver dragon headphone cable upgrade was pretty big albeit not cheap. I saw another post bashing the silver dragon cable but it definitely improved the sound of my akg 712 headphone in my set up. If it sounded bad in that setup the cable was revealing a deficiency in the set up.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #6,175 of 6,345
I received a set of K712 about 2 weeks ago. I bought them new from a dealer in Japan. I own several headphones Beyer 1.2, Sundara, Grado RS2E to mention a few. After two weeks with the K712 I must say this has been the most pleasantly surprising experience. This headphone is only about $300USD and it performs extremely well, amazingly so. This headphone absolutely loves tubes. I have two different tube amps. One is transformer coupled the other is an OTL tube amp. The K712 sounds fantastic on both. At 62 ohms I would not have expected it to work well with an OTL amp but it does and very well. The sound stage is fantastic and the depth of image exceeds any other headphone I own. It can pinpoint instruments on the stage like no other I have experienced ( I owned the HD800 for several years). I am also in love with the tonal balance. This headphone is an amazing value if you have the front end to really show what it can do. I did try it with my solid state amps but that does not show what this headphone is capable of doing. I just wanted to share that this headphone is often overlooked and if you have a decent dac and tube amp to drive it this headphone performance far exceeds it's price.

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #6,176 of 6,345
Hello,

I've also got a question about the 712 Pro. Actually i have the Denon AH-D5000 (good bass, fun headphone) , Audio Technica ATH-R70x (nice bass, clear with a piece of warm tonality) and Fostex TH-610 (more neutral than the 5000). I had the AKG 612Pro (for me too flat, not as clear as the R70x) and the Sennheiser HD58x (very good relaxed sound, but for me a bit too veiled and muddy). I don't need to much headphones but I have to say that I collect them and as an austrian person I should have a headphone from AKG :wink:. I'd like to know:

Is the HarmonicDyne Zeus the better 712 Pro?
The 712 Pro is on the warmer side. Is it muddy and veiled or not and is it a meaningful addition to the 5000, R70x, and 610?
I only listen to rock / metal music / movies. Is the 712 Pro a good choice for this genre?
The 560s is on the same price. Some posts ago I read that the tonality is better (less false) but it's a bit technically limited. I think the 560s could be similar to the R70x, so the 712 Pro makes more sense to get a different sounding headphone.

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #6,177 of 6,345
Just FYI, in case anyone is wondering,- the K712 was tuned to have a 3dB gain (3dB higher) in the lower frequencies compared to the other headphones in the AKG K7 series (and also the Q701). This probably accounts for the reason why it seems to have a narrower soundstage. My personal favourite of the K7 series is the K702, but I was also very impressed by the Q701. With the right amping, the Q701 can compete with the K712 in the bass.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #6,178 of 6,345
Hi folks.

Anyone change the velour pads to a leather one? Its a nice mod for this headphone?
I tried leather brainwavz-xl and I tried to like it biut I ended up going back to the stock pads even though I the pads were used. more open sounding and more comfy surprisingly. I got the leather pads to stop my ears from touching the foam in front of the baffles (they lightly touch with the stock pads) but even despite the fact that my ears didnt touch anything with the leather pads, the stock velours were still just more comfortable overall imo

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #6,179 of 6,345
Hello,

I've also got a question about the 712 Pro. Actually i have the Denon AH-D5000 (good bass, fun headphone) , Audio Technica ATH-R70x (nice bass, clear with a piece of warm tonality) and Fostex TH-610 (more neutral than the 5000). I had the AKG 612Pro (for me too flat, not as clear as the R70x) and the Sennheiser HD58x (very good relaxed sound, but for me a bit too veiled and muddy). I don't need to much headphones but I have to say that I collect them and as an austrian person I should have a headphone from AKG :wink:. I'd like to know:

Is the HarmonicDyne Zeus the better 712 Pro?
The 712 Pro is on the warmer side. Is it muddy and veiled or not and is it a meaningful addition to the 5000, R70x, and 610?
I only listen to rock / metal music / movies. Is the 712 Pro a good choice for this genre?
The 560s is on the same price. Some posts ago I read that the tonality is better (less false) but it's a bit technically limited. I think the 560s could be similar to the R70x, so the 712 Pro makes more sense to get a different sounding headphone.
You will find the K712 has more clarity and a more spacious and exciting sound than the HD58X. Bass has more clarity than the Sennheiser 58X or 600 - its quick and clear in bass, not muddy.
My Q701 and K712 have similar wide soundstage but the K712 has the more precise imaging, better balanced mids/vocals and overall more listenable across genres.
Q701sounds good in isolation, I could make a case for it over the Senn HD600 depending on mood, however the K712 is definitely my favorite out of Q701/HD600/HD58X.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,180 of 6,345
Hi folks,
Here a new AKG K712 pro owner. I fell on a Black Friday offer. Many thanks for comments and reviews that helped me to decide on the purchase.
This is my first AKG. I am by no means an expert but not an absolute begginer either. I started down this road in 2019 buying the Sony WH1000xm3 and then the Sennheiser HD599. My favorite headphones and iems are the Denon Ah-7200 and Etymotic Er4XR. I listen to many types of music: pop, rock, jazz, but mostly, 90 % classical. I like specially orquestral symphonic classical.
I read some reviews before buying the AKGs and was expecting a good performance with classical. I must say I am positively impressed. The clarity and instrument separation is amazing to my hears. Strings are simply fantastic.
I tried direct out of my Astell Sr25 and as expected it did not sound well. Not enough power to make the headphones sound properly. Attached the Fiio A5 portable amp in the middle and the sound changed night and day. With high gain the sound changes completely and becomes excellent.
Brahms violin concerto with Kavakos and Chailly sounds grandiose 24/96. Also tried with Schubert’s Great, Budapest Festival, Ivan Fisher 24/192, excellent, specially the strings and winds. I have also tried with some classical tracks with Apple Music hires and lossless, all with the SR25 and A5 combo with remarkable results.
Then I plugged the AKG K712 pro to my old but trustworthy amp Denon pma 1500R and boy that is truly something special. The AKG really shine with the powerful amp. As to sources my pc files lossless and hi res connected to a Yamaha preamp and streamer WXC-50 to the Denon amp and also with the Digital Concert Hall through an AppleTV4K connected to the Yamaha and Denon via the tv. The sound quality of the Digital Concert Hall, the digital platform of the Berlin Philarmoniker, shines with the AKGs.
I can return these until end of January but I will definitely keep them unless they break down or something. They are really good for my type of music. The sound isolation is bad, my only complaint, but the sound quality is really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back