The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #4,171 of 6,345
K712 is not difficult to drive but high quality DAC is a must to get best of it.

I recently auditioned the Airist Audio Heron 5 headphone amp, for 10 days, that puts out 5 watts into 32 ohms. So suffice to say it has gobs of power. I found there to be a significant difference in speed, weight, and attack of the music compared to a portable audio source. I unequivocally agree that a quality DAC is really important too though as the K712 are quite revealing.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #4,172 of 6,345
Hey guys, need a little help here... Just got the 712's and I gotta tell you, a little disappointed. I know I'll probably get ripped a new one but I was expecting ALOT more than what I heard.

1st: Driving them with a Decco 50
2nd: Let them burn about 50-60 hrs
3rd: They are Slovakian 712's (shouldn't matter)

Now its not the clarity I have a problem with, in fact on Jimmy Reed's Big Boss Man I can clearly hear his wife lean in several times to sing along and keep him in sync, it almost felt like I was in the studio. 
The problem is the volume, I like to listen loud when the mood strikes, everybody likes to rock out now and then and I wanted some cans that have the capability to be extremely detailed while also being able to blow the back of my skull out if needed.

In contrast my M4U1's completely destroy these with the level of volume they can be driven to on the Decco and not distort but still sound awesome, as a comparison the PSB's go to about 1/2 volume on the amp before its ear damaging but not clipping yet and the 712's have long since given up any chance of not sounding like a Kmart special at about 1/2 to 3/4 of the loudness of the PSB's.

I know I'll end up having to go audition different sets to get the balance I'm looking for but if anyone has a good recommendation that would save a lot of time. I only use my full size headphones in a room dedicated to listening and would really like a new set of open back, just try to keep it under a couple thousand please. I have the HD 650's by the way.

Thanks in advance

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,174 of 6,345
Would you say the k712 is a downgrade from the 650? I have curious to try the k712 but not sure how they compare to Sennheiser in general. I have the 598 and would want an upgrade from that at least.

I can't speak to the HD650, but when I did some detailed comparisons a while back, I thought the K712 sounded better than the HD800.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #4,176 of 6,345

Would you say the k712 is a downgrade from the 650? I have curious to try the k712 but not sure how they compare to Sennheiser in general. I have the 598 and would want an upgrade from that at least.

I can't speak to the HD650, but when I did some detailed comparisons a while back, I thought the K712 sounded better than the HD800.  

not surprised, it is explainable by looking at the freq. responses of these HPs. HD650, 700 and 800 are too dark IMO. if you want accurate HP, go to K612 or HD600. if you a little bit more fun to listen to, go to K712.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #4,178 of 6,345

The review I wrote of the K712 would probably be relevant to you then, since I compared it directly to the HD598: http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/10344

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,179 of 6,345
  You need a headphone amp with High Gain, I use a Schiit Asgard 2 and on high gain can't go past 11 o'clock!

Same here, I cannot go past 11 o' clock on the SMSL VA2 headphone amp, and with some recordings I have to back off to even 9 ' o clock on the dial.  However it does disturb me to hear how loud people listen at, and my friends father on his audiophile setup has the volume at explosive levels.  Whenever he wants me to listen on his setup, I always turn it down before he hits play and before he plays the next thing, he notices the dial is lower and turns it back up, which makes me turn it down and so on.  I'm the kind of person who wears ear plugs at live concerts or band rehearsals, or in any excessively loud environment.  To be able to appreciate the finer points of music, you need to protect and preserve your hearing;  having your headphones too loud is inevitably going to damage your hearing, and then there will be no point in having fantastic audiophile hardware.

I like my K712 PRO headphones as they are smooth, accurate, non-fatiguing and not exaggerated in any way.  It seems the people who are disappointed with these, are after something that excites them all the time.  These headphones are for people who want to hear their music as it was intended by the creators, and these do exactly that.  If there is excitement in the music you will hear it on these, but likewise the opposite is true.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #4,180 of 6,345
I am trying out the AKG K712.  Initially I was very disappointed as it sounded thin and insubstantial in comparison to the HD598 and Grado 325e that I have, but I made the mistake of trying directly from an iPhone.  Then I remembered comments that this would not allow the 712 to realize its full potential.  It didn't sound bad though, but I had to raise volume up to almost 100% to get it to sound decent.  I hooked it up to the O2 amp that I have and it is much better.  They have a nice sound signature.  I don't necessarily find them "warm" as most to people do - the bass seems a bit toned down even compared to the HD598 - but they are smooth and detailed.  I am not sure I believe in the whole "break in" thing and whether that would accentuate the bass some more.  Interested in hearing thoughts on that.  They are very comfortable and light though, and that's a huge plus for me. I also like the coiled cable that comes with it too.   Time will tell whether I decide to keep them....

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4,181 of 6,345
  I am trying out the AKG K712.  Initially I was very disappointed as it sounded thin and insubstantial in comparison to the HD598 and Grado 325e that I have, but I made the mistake of trying directly from an iPhone.  Then I remembered comments that this would not allow the 712 to realize its full potential.  It didn't sound bad though, but I had to raise volume up to almost 100% to get it to sound decent.  I hooked it up to the O2 amp that I have and it is much better.  They have a nice sound signature.  I don't necessarily find them "warm" as most to people do - the bass seems a bit toned down even compared to the HD598 - but they are smooth and detailed.  I am not sure I believe in the whole "break in" thing and whether that would accentuate the bass some more.  Interested in hearing thoughts on that.  They are very comfortable and light though, and that's a huge plus for me. I also like the coiled cable that comes with it too.   Time will tell whether I decide to keep them....

The K712 PRO are neither cold nor warm....just accurate, hence why they are reference headphones.  Regarding the bass, you will find that it appears when intended, e.g. most of the time it is tastefully balanced and smooth, but occasionally a recording will appear to highlight really powerful but still musical sounding bass.  As for breaking the headphones in, I have been using mine on an almost daily basis for hours on end for three months, and I have not noticed much change in the sound....maybe that initial over crisp sound has worn off and the overall sound is more natural and smooth.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #4,182 of 6,345
After spending more time with them I am happy with the sound presentation. I don't get caught up in the whole neutral v warm debate anyway. All I know is that they don't hurt my ears with shrill or bright tones and I can wear them for hours without feeling bothered in the least. A winner so far....

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #4,183 of 6,345

The review I wrote of the K712 would probably be relevant to you then, since I compared it directly to the HD598: http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/10344

2 cents:
1. The prices for these 2 are not comparable
2. the sound attributes between these 2 are also different, more interesting comparison would be between HD598 (or HD600) and K612

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #4,184 of 6,345
When I initially compared the 712 to the 598 the 598 sounded richer and louder. But then after further listening I realized that the 598 just had a darker, more veiled sound, a boomier bass. The 712 definitely wins on clarity and tighter bass. Not a fair comparison because of price difference but the 712 is a step above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back