The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #3,781 of 6,345
  Hello guys, atm i got the creative soundblaster Z soundcard, and the akg k712 headphones ofc.

Would i benefit from upgrading to a real dac and a amp? 

Will the sound improve *overal*? 

The sound is good as it is now.

But can i make it better? Any1 that can answear?

Everything that will make the K712 produce music already has a DAC and an AMP in it, including your "Z" card.  It's not difficult to make such a device do a good or even great job and you will quickly encounter the point of diminishing returns buying anything "real".  Something else might sound a tiny bit different in some way but in essence, if what you have goes loud enough for your hearing preferences and you don't hear anything obviously nasty in the combination (usually distortion), you are likely not to find *much* improvement by going with something else.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #3,782 of 6,345
Agreed, the Z is already much better than onboard audio in the median case, so you'll hit diminishing returns quick. Depending on your budget, you could do something like the Schiit Stack or O2/ODAC and see how those work. I've heard of some good results with hybrid amps, if you like a little tube coloration. What's your budget?

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #3,783 of 6,345
  Agreed, the Z is already much better than onboard audio in the median case, so you'll hit diminishing returns quick. Depending on your budget, you could do something like the Schiit Stack or O2/ODAC and see how those work. I've heard of some good results with hybrid amps, if you like a little tube coloration. What's your budget?

I can spend some dollars i guess, the price isn't really important, i can spend up to.. 600 dollars maybe, but maybe i'ts better to buy new headphones if i were to spend that money :d

Big thanks to both of you for your help :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,784 of 6,345
Should I get the K712 pro? I have the HD700 now, I am not sure if I should get the K712.

I used to have a Q701, and I feel the HD700 have more detailed sound than Q701. 

Any ideas on how HD700 compares to the K712? 
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #3,785 of 6,345
Hey folks,

I have a few questions about the AKG K712 and my present setup.  
I currently have 600-ohm DT990s, a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD and a Schiit Magni (not Magni 2). Thinking of moving the DT990s to my workplace.

I'd need new cans for home, and the K712 seems like a good idea -- they seem nice and different from the DT990s so I'd get to enjoy something new. Plus I'm a PC gamer and Mad Lust Envy's guide had nothing but praise for the K712.

Now, if I took the DT990s to work, I'd need an amp there. I could take my existing Magni to work and get something new for home, or keep the Magni at home and figure out a different solution for work (and probably end up with another Magni anyway...)

But if I'm going to get the K712, do I even need to get a separate amp for them, considering my X-Fi Titanium HD is supposed to be good for headphones up to 300 ohms? Looking at the specs, the K712 don't look very hard to drive, but I don't fully understand those electrical specs, so I may be way off the mark.

If I did need a separate amp -- is my Magni a good match for the K712? If not, I'm looking at the Asgard 2. Would that be a good match for the K712?
Or should I just get a Magni 2 and call it a day? I've been happy with my Magni and I'm not particularly needy or eager to spend more than I have to. I like good sound but I don't think I have an audiophile ear and I'm not positive I'd hear an obvious difference by throwing 2.5x more money at a new amp. I can afford it, I'm just looking for value. Yes I know I'm on Head-Fi and RIP wallet and all that, but you know
tongue.gif

And while I've only mentioned Schiit products, I'm not married to Schiit, I just have been happy with their products but I'm open to alternatives.

And lastly, would it be a problem to hook up an Antlion ModMic to the K712, for whatever reason?

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,786 of 6,345
Does anyone have both these and the Philips Fidelio X2? I'm narrowing my options down. I do not have access to either so I am hoping some people have experience with both so I can make an educated decision.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,787 of 6,345
Hey folks,
I have a few questions about the AKG K712 and my present setup.

I currently have 600-ohm DT990s, a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD and a Schiit Magni (not Magni 2). Thinking of moving the DT990s to my workplace.

I'd need new cans for home, and the K712 seems like a good idea -- they seem nice and different from the DT990s so I'd get to enjoy something new. Plus I'm a PC gamer and Mad Lust Envy's guide had nothing but praise for the K712.

Now, if I took the DT990s to work, I'd need an amp there. I could take my existing Magni to work and get something new for home, or keep the Magni at home and figure out a different solution for work (and probably end up with another Magni anyway...)

But if I'm going to get the K712, do I even need to get a separate amp for them, considering my X-Fi Titanium HD is supposed to be good for headphones up to 300 ohms? Looking at the specs, the K712 don't look very hard to drive, but I don't fully understand those electrical specs, so I may be way off the mark.

If I did need a separate amp -- is my Magni a good match for the K712? If not, I'm looking at the Asgard 2. Would that be a good match for the K712?
Or should I just get a Magni 2 and call it a day? I've been happy with my Magni and I'm not particularly needy or eager to spend more than I have to. I like good sound but I don't think I have an audiophile ear and I'm not positive I'd hear an obvious difference by throwing 2.5x more money at a new amp. I can afford it, I'm just looking for value. Yes I know I'm on Head-Fi and RIP wallet and all that, but you know :p

And while I've only mentioned Schiit products, I'm not married to Schiit, I just have been happy with their products but I'm open to alternatives.

And lastly, would it be a problem to hook up an Antlion ModMic to the K712, for whatever reason?

K712s are fairly easy to drive. When I tested them they sounded nice and loud straight from my mobile phone so your sound card will be fine.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #3,788 of 6,345
  Does anyone have both these and the Philips Fidelio X2? I'm narrowing my options down. I do not have access to either so I am hoping some people have experience with both so I can make an educated decision.

I do not have the X2 yet (they seem perpetually sold out everywhere) but have you read this review that compares them to the Q701?  The K712 should be similar with more bass (according to graphs):

http://www.neowin.net/news/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #3,789 of 6,345

I do not have the X2 yet (they seem perpetually sold out everywhere) but have you read this review that compares them to the Q701?  The K712 should be similar with more bass (according to graphs):

http://www.neowin.net/news/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review

What I found most interesting is that they were comparing these to the 598's in that article as well which are $150ish, while the other two are $299 and $429. I really didn't think the 598's were in the same class.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3,790 of 6,345

well swifty7 frankly speaking if you are looking after a substantial upgrade over, then k712 pro is not the one for you in comparision to 900x.

Reason : The K712 might be expensive compared to AD900x more than double the price of it but doesnt hold in that regards meaning the price to value comparision especially when you compared it to a good headphones from AT like AD900x .

Remeber AT hp's have always been very good at MIds & Treble. AD900x mids & K712 mids are almost on par , it will be upto the user who likes more mids of which headphones .
Bass-wise ...AD900x is more punchier & tight & K712 are more fuller & deeper.
Treble - Ad900x has more sparkle to it , K712 is perfect but the added sparkle of at900x is also v.good due to which these headphones are more Airy.
Coming to resolution & clarity of sound this goes with a little to K712 but more than double the price is too much for it.
Soundstage : AD900x has clearly more soundstage ,Many say that it is artificial but it is nothing that artificial , it is better & people saying such thing because they want to hype their owned headphones more .Remember these hp's have such addiciting soundstage that when you move on to other headphones you really want that type of soundstage (being myslef an owner of Ad900 once), but I say that K712 soundstage isn't big like 900x but it still is fine that shall satisfy your tastes.
Comfort : Both are on par.

Now coming to He500 , will also include He400 :

See now these headphones really justify their price range , the first thing you will find in them is their outstanding clarity which is not reached by both 900x & k712.
i will keep it brief ... HE hp's lack soundstage though insturment spearation is great . Treble is better with AKGs & Mids of both are great , its just akg's are forward compared to Hifi's which causes many to call HE500/400 mids to be recessed or V-shaped.
But at resolution clarity detail retrival dynamics insturment spearation & bass , this is what He500/400 really outstand the others.

Thank you so much for taking the time for posting the differences between these headphones.

in your humble opinion, what would you recommend for a proper upgrade to the ath-ad900x?  I have some money coming and would like to upgrade but then again I don't want to go crazy.  So! what would you consider a good price for the akg-712pro?

thanks again!

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #3,792 of 6,345
Is it just me not spending enough time trying out the akg k712 pro at a headphone store (before I buy), or does these lack the clarity compared to my burned in100+ hours Gr07 Bass edition?

Also, I still cannot really decide between the Ad900x or the K712. Was looking at which can provide more enjoyable listening with above average bass (not boomy) and exceptional clarity, not to mention imaging and soundstage. Price is isn't a problem.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #3,793 of 6,345
Is it just me not spending enough time trying out the akg k712 pro at a headphone store (before I buy), or does these lack the clarity compared to my burned in100+ hours Gr07 Bass edition?

Also, I still cannot really decide between the Ad900x or the K712. Was looking at which can provide more enjoyable listening with above average bass (not boomy) and exceptional clarity, not to mention imaging and soundstage. Price is isn't a problem.

Perhaps try a K702/Q701 pad swap and see if you like the additional clarity and openness/tradeoff of bit less bass.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,794 of 6,345
I just swapped out the stiffer angled pads of both my Austrian-made, early, Q701 and K701.....for the slightly softer, flat pads of the K7XX (which I'm told are the same pads off the k712 & late Annie's), and that made a noticeable difference in the sound signature of both, adding more warmth and bass.  I then followed it with the bass port mod, and both phones are rather bassy now, even with their original pads back on.  But still a slight tinge below the k712 I think.  With the port mod and k7XX pads, they were almost as much bass as the K7XX, but still with slightly less dark mids and highs.

I think adding the new flat pads and bass port mod pretty much makes any K7/Q7 98% of a K7XX, and 95% of a K712.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #3,795 of 6,345

Everything that will make the K712 produce music already has a DAC and an AMP in it, including your "Z" card.  It's not difficult to make such a device do a good or even great job and you will quickly encounter the point of diminishing returns buying anything "real".  Something else might sound a tiny bit different in some way but in essence, if what you have goes loud enough for your hearing preferences and you don't hear anything obviously nasty in the combination (usually distortion), you are likely not to find *much* improvement by going with something else.

I have to disagree with your statement. My experience with both the Q701 and K712 has been they scale up or down according to the audio chain. Now I'm not saying you have to sell a kidney to get the K712 to sound good but i am saying not all amps/DACs will cut the mustard when the K712 is involved. For example, I find the K712 to sound rather great on the Schiit Vali while sounding pretty terrible on the ALO RX MKIII-B, sounded to brittle for my liking. Some other good/decent pairings, on the Play It by Ear amp it sounds pretty good and on the Ember its a hit and miss situation based on tweaking the amp with tubes and output impedance. If you have the patience to experiment it can sound pretty good. Personally I liked the K712 on the ember with the impedance set on its second setting while utilizing a RCA tube. On the iFi iCAN, really didn't like that pairing to much, the mids sounded kind of bleh to me and the bass sounded rather loose.

Just my two cents of coarse, carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back