The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #3,766 of 6,345
Hello guys :) I would like to ask a question that bothers me a bit.

I purchased a pair of K712 a month ago, and a Onkyo HA-200 (DAC/AMP) with it. As I'm new to this field, my current setup is either MacBook Pro (USB Output) -> HA-200 -> K712 or iPod Classic (30-Pin Output) -> HA-200 -> K712. The issue I'm having now is that, for some of the songs, such as Muse's Butterflies and Hurricanes, there is light distrotion on the left ear cup ar a particular part of the song almost every time, even when the volume is not high (Of course, the distortion is less apparent when the volume is lower). From a post under this topic ages ago, it was mentioned that the K712 is 'very sensitive' to the system. I wonder whether this issue is most probably due to the fact that my K712s are faulty, or my system generates too much noise and thus it is mercilessly revealed thru the cans?

Your help is appreciated :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #3,767 of 6,345
Hello guys
smily_headphones1.gif
I would like to ask a question that bothers me a bit.

I purchased a pair of K712 a month ago, and a Onkyo HA-200 (DAC/AMP) with it. As I'm new to this field, my current setup is either MacBook Pro (USB Output) -> HA-200 -> K712 or iPod Classic (30-Pin Output) -> HA-200 -> K712. The issue I'm having now is that, for some of the songs, such as Muse's Butterflies and Hurricanes, there is light distrotion on the left ear cup ar a particular part of the song almost every time, even when the volume is not high (Of course, the distortion is less apparent when the volume is lower). From a post under this topic ages ago, it was mentioned that the K712 is 'very sensitive' to the system. I wonder whether this issue is most probably due to the fact that my K712s are faulty, or my system generates too much noise and thus it is mercilessly revealed thru the cans?

Your help is appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

It only happens with a few songs? Have you tried it with any other headphones to see if it reproduces?

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #3,768 of 6,345
Other than these cups, I only own Apple's In-ear earbuds (Meh), and they don't have any problem using the said setup.
And for others songs, this phenomenon is generally non-existence. If it does exist, it's much much much much more minor and doesn't affect my listening experience. Maybe the music file is slightly corrupted?

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #3,769 of 6,345
Other than these cups, I only own Apple's In-ear earbuds (Meh), and they don't have any problem using the said setup.
And for others songs, this phenomenon is generally non-existence. If it does exist, it's much much much much more minor and doesn't affect my listening experience. Maybe the music file is slightly corrupted?

Can you find a video on YouTube where the distortion happens so we can try with our gear? Make sure it's 720p for full audio quality.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3,770 of 6,345

That's what I was thinking.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,773 of 6,345

I re-ripped my CD in the format of Apple Lossless with Error Correction. No luck :frowning2: It's still here.
An additional information is that the distortion pattern is almost the same every time.

Do you find it with OTHER songs?   Example in point:  I'm a huge Steely Dan fan.  One of the reasons why is because they spend an extraordinary amount of time making sure the recording, production and mastering is *perfect*, at least more than most bands.  I spent some serious money to buy part of the speakers I built and was dismayed when a certain track of theirs (the opening to "Rikki Don't Loose That Number") seemed to display a very large amount of distortion.  I actually complained to the company, thinking perhaps I was justified in seeking a refund, when I noticed that this same song caused the same distortion on OTHER speakers as well.  I had just never listened close enough to notice it before.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #3,774 of 6,345

Do you find it with OTHER songs?   Example in point:  I'm a huge Steely Dan fan.  One of the reasons why is because they spend an extraordinary amount of time making sure the recording, production and mastering is *perfect*, at least more than most bands.  I spent some serious money to buy part of the speakers I built and was dismayed when a certain track of theirs (the opening to "Rikki Don't Loose That Number") seemed to display a very large amount of distortion.  I actually complained to the company, thinking perhaps I was justified in seeking a refund, when I noticed that this same song caused the same distortion on OTHER speakers as well.  I had just never listened close enough to notice it before.

I do find it in other songs, but in different forms:
For example, for Muse's Butterflies and Hurricanes, during one particular part of the song (A piano solo), the left ear cup will produce some distorted noise. For Stockholm Syndrome from the same band, during the bridge from the verse to the chorus, the right ear cup will produce a small jolt of static that matches the beat of the song.

UPDATE: I decided to ripped the song to .wav format and give it a try, still no luck :frowning2:

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #3,775 of 6,345
Muse's material clips...A LOT. There are no dynamics whatsoever as everything's severely brickwalled to the point of clipping.

Try something that's not so compressed.

Bill

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #3,776 of 6,345
Muse's material clips...A LOT. There are no dynamics whatsoever as everything's severely brickwalled to the point of clipping.

Try something that's not so compressed.

Bill

Oh you mean this is the problem of Muse's recording process? What do you mean by 'There are no dynamics whatsoever as everything's severely brick walled to the point of clipping?'

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #3,778 of 6,345
And one thing you pointed out that, I recall that the problem I'm experiencing is mainly from Muse's songs

They reduce their dynamics to nearly zero. They take the quietest parts and increase volume so that they're as loud as the loudest parts. They also leave no headroom in the signal which results in it clipping. This sort of clipping can result in audible distortion on a highly resolving system.

It's unfortunate because I love their music as well. Just wish they wouldn't go for that "sound".

Bill

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #3,779 of 6,345
They reduce their dynamics to nearly zero. They take the quietest parts and increase volume so that they're as loud as the loudest parts. They also leave no headroom in the signal which results in it clipping. This sort of clipping can result in audible distortion on a highly resolving system.

It's unfortunate because I love their music as well. Just wish they wouldn't go for that "sound".

Bill

I'll try my K712s with songs from different artists. Thanks a lot for your insightful explanation :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,780 of 6,345
Hello guys, atm i got the creative soundblaster Z soundcard, and the akg k712 headphones ofc.

Would i benefit from upgrading to a real dac and a amp? 

Will the sound improve *overal*? 

The sound is good as it is now.

But can i make it better? Any1 that can answear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back