The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #3,031 of 6,345
Volume or Gain?

As adjusting my Little Dot requires a toothpick and a lot of messing about it's been a while since I changed it, think it's at 5, a happy medium. These 712's require a lot more volume to hear, forgetting to lower the dial when I switched back to my Ultrasone's gave me a brief ear shock. 

Is it a matter of taste or is the quality of the sound different?

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #3,032 of 6,345
Just got my pair today.... and I am amazed! The sound is magnificent in my opinion, and I can definitely notice the sound stage of these K712s. I do not notice any issues pairing these with the O2 amp & SB Z.

However, when I played several of my FLAC files from the Star Wars Soundtrack I purchased recently, I noticed quite a bit of static in some parts of the music. It is not continuous so I believe it is a result of the files not being 100% ripped. But could it be the sensitivity of these headphones that picks up the static? I used EAC & Foobar2000 and read the guides, but I am not sure what I did wrong with the ripping process.

These headphones are more comfortable overall compared to the DT-990s. The open headband design allows my head to be cool. The cups are spacious and big enough to fully enclose my ears. The memory foam is a bit dense but I believe it will soften up with more use. My ears are a bit hotter compared to using the Dt-990s, but I am fine with that.

I think I finally found my keepers.
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #3,033 of 6,345
  The K712 killed any and all my desire to own a HD6?0/HD580 again.

Feel exactly same way.  Was missing the HD650 sound so was thinking of getting the HD600, a less veiled sound but then I read about the K712. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #3,034 of 6,345
Just bought a K712 Pro from Amazon this morning. We'll see if they're keepers come Friday. It'll take a lot to tear me away from my beloved ad2k mkIVs.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,036 of 6,345
How do these compare to the HD650? The HD650 are so lush and haunting in the vocals I love them.

Much prefer K712 to HD650, they are clearer, detailed, better bass and voice is just as good.  AD series from Audio Technica have best voice to me, have not heard any headphone with better voice than AT AD headphones.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #3,037 of 6,345

Much prefer K712 to HD650, they are clearer, detailed, better bass and voice is just as good.  AD series from Audio Technica have best voice to me, have not heard any headphone with better voice than AT AD headphones.

I found the K712 better sounding overall than the HD 650, I did find the HD 650 to have a lusher sound though if my memory serves right. I heard them side by side a couple months before buying K712. I haven't heard the AD series from Audio-Technica. Any particular model you are referring to?

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #3,038 of 6,345
Hey guys, so I hooked up my 712's to my new Schiit Bifrost today...holy schiit...like seriously. They came ALIVE in all aspects and I'm floored with how amazing they sound now. I was never aware a DAC could have such an impact....man was I wrong. I couldn't be happier with these cans now and I look forward to many...many hours with them :) I'll post back when my 76 rockets come in for my Lyr.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #3,039 of 6,345
  Hey guys, so I hooked up my 712's to my new Schiit Bifrost today...holy schiit...like seriously. They came ALIVE in all aspects and I'm floored with how amazing they sound now. I was never aware a DAC could have such an impact....man was I wrong. I couldn't be happier with these cans now and I look forward to many...many hours with them :) I'll post back when my 76 rockets come in for my Lyr.

The DAC makes a big difference, that's how I felt when I upgraded to my HRT Music Streamer II+, the difference was immense and really brought all my headphones to life, particularly the K712 and K612. My system sounds so full of life now, there used to be this inherent shallowness and lack of life to the sound that I noticed here and there before upgrading the DAC.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #3,040 of 6,345
Quick review:

I've had these for about three weeks now. Comfort/build wise, it feels more solid than the SR60s in some respects (the cups, cables, etc.), but more delicate as well (the plastic arches, the elastic band, and clear plastic thing). The cups are also a lot bigger than what I'm used to, but stay comfortable for longer. They're also quite heavy, but the weight is nicely distributed.

Unamped, they're good, but nothing really stands out - which is a bonus in and of itself, as that suggests consistency. Bass sounds smoother and deeper than my previous Grado SR60s, mids are liquid and smooth, and highs go way up, without being screechy. Soundstage is a bit lacking, though, as things sound closed-in. Removable cables are good, and I won't be upgrading them anytime soon.

Amped, it really depends on what you use. I used the ALO National and Pan Am. The National widens the soundstage by a smidgen, and strengthens everything, making things nicer. Mids sound nicer, and the bass has more thump. Highs smooth out even more. With the Pan Am? Holy ****. I was listening to something choral, and damn near wept. It was the closest I've been to a drug trip. The voices sounded amazingly present, yet never overpowering. Everything sounded as close to perfection as I've ever heard. I'm not sure if this is because if the tubes, or because the Pan Am is just that good.

Wrt the Pan Am, do you still hold this belief? But more importantly, what tubes did you use in the pairing?

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3,043 of 6,345
No. A dac is not drastically going to change a headphone's frequency curve. An amp MIGHT, but that too will be subtle, unless the amp is ridiculously colored. Perhaps an amp with a bass boost switch will be the best outcome, or just outright equalizing for more bass.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,044 of 6,345
No. A dac is not drastically going to change a headphone's frequency curve. An amp MIGHT, but that too will be subtle, unless the amp is ridiculously colored. Perhaps an amp with a bass boost switch will be the best outcome, or just outright equalizing for more bass.

Well the difference for me without the Bifrost compared to with the Bifrost makes these 712's sound like a completely different set of cans...

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,045 of 6,345
That sounds like hyperbole to me, as I have never heard a source drastically change a headphone's inherent signature. Sorry. I'll remain skeptical about comments like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back