The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,761 of 6,345
Listening to Meshuggah now...  Sounds plenty fast with the O2. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,763 of 6,345

Hrm, darn. 

I'm borrowing a pair of K702 anniversary, so now I have 2 pairs on hand for about a week. Mine is early production, the borrowed one is very late. Notably different sounds on them.

Used Pads , VS brand new pads ?
evil_smiley.gif

That's what I initially thought, but really looking at them, the newer pads seem to be about 1/4 inch thicker, a "firmer foam" that doesn't conform as well. I think they are different pads,

I have a late serial number 28xx K702.65 and it sounds exactly like the K712 I returned back in early January.

Most excellent, tyvm. I will give these both a listen with that consideration. My brief impressions of the newer pair seemed to align with everyone was describing the K712, so I'm interested in comparing the two with the Q701. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,764 of 6,345
So there's a difference between early production and late production? @.@ mine is 28xx wish I can have a early production to compare with as well as a K712 xD just so I can start a random debate :D

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,765 of 6,345
Does anyone have a solution to the earcup creak on the K712? I tried creating a buffer between the joint with electrical tape, but it didn't work. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, so I don't have a lot of resources available right now. Any ideas?

It's to the point now that I have to stay completely still when using these things or it sounds like I have a pair of crickets on my head. It's very frustrating. Anyone posting frequency response graphs for the headphones needs to include the huge hump at 7khz caused by the constant creaking!

You might try some lithium grease.  It's safe for plastics and might silence things a bit.  They sometimes use it on M4's, so maybe you can find some in Afghanistan.  Try it out on some test plastic first, though, to make certain it's pure.

PTFE (teflon) lube is an even better choice and I've read of people using that on weaponry, too.  There are approved lubricants for military issue.  If you can find some and it turns out to be lithium or PTFE, that would do the trick.

Just be careful, though, because a petroleum-based lubricant will dissolve the plastic, eventually.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I will try to get some. GET SOME! jk

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #2,766 of 6,345
So there's a difference between early production and late production? @.@ mine is 28xx wish I can have a early production to compare with as well as a K712 xD just so I can start a random debate :D

Wasn't it that the old ones had flatter pads like the Anniversaries, and the newer ones went more angled?

Or that may be the Annie itself...

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #2,767 of 6,345
Wasn't it that the old ones had flatter pads like the Anniversaries, and the newer ones went more angled?

Is it just me or should all companies just announce whenever there is a slight change in their products?

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,769 of 6,345

Is it just me or should all companies just announce whenever there is a slight change in their products?

There are lots of subtle changes to headphones that happen, that people in the company may not know about. I know AKG is particularly bad about disseminating information to their US offices. Chances are they don't even know about it. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,770 of 6,345
So I've been using the K702 annie (SN: 2516) for about a week now and I have to say they're identical to the K712. I can't spot any difference in sound whatsoever. I do think they're prettier though.

This is such a great headphone for classical music. Every instrument sounds lifelike and the soundstage is amazing.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2,771 of 6,345
  So I've been using the K702 annie (SN: 2516) for about a week now and I have to say they're identical to the K712. I can't spot any difference in sound whatsoever. I do think they're prettier though.

This is such a great headphone for classical music. Every instrument sounds lifelike and the soundstage is amazing.

I have not had a chance to heard the K702 Anniversary, but I do appreciate your comparison.  This is one thing a lot of us find problematic with AKG.  Sure they produce great sounding headphones, but how many times have they rehashed the K701?  I fully understand that if one design is bomb proof and measures and sounds great why change it, but when they sell another copy at a higher price it seems more like a business decision than making a better headphones.

That said I still use the K712 Pro as my reference open headphones and continue to love it.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,772 of 6,345

I have not had a chance to heard the K702 Anniversary, but I do appreciate your comparison.  This is one thing a lot of us find problematic with AKG.  Sure they produce great sounding headphones, but how many times have they rehashed the K701?  I fully understand that if one design is bomb proof and measures and sounds great why change it, but when they sell another copy at a higher price it seems more like a business decision than making a better headphones.

That said I still use the K712 Pro as my reference open headphones and continue to love it.

A good observation.  Still, it's not too different from the big three that existed a couple of years ago: Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880, AKG K701.  Sennheiser has actually re-cycled the design several times: HD580, HD600, HD650.  Beyerdynamic offers several flavors of the DT880: Pro, Premium and I don't know what exactly - but then there's the "Manufaktur" edition, too.  I think the biggest difference is that perhaps: Beyerdynamic does not market as much as AKG, while both Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser continue to push the barrier with the HD800, HD700, T-1, T-5p, etc.  Until AKG came out with the K812, it seemed that all AKG was interested in was marketing and no other "new" headphone designs.

In any event, the now mid-ranged headphones mentioned above were/are world-class headphones, and perhaps better bang-for-buck headphones than any of the flagship headphones currently offered.  AKG may have gone about things a bit differently than the other two, but it doesn't detract from the validity of the design.  JMHO.

There are complaints about my favorite headphones as well - Grados.  Same driver, same design for almost every headphone.  They simply re-package it with different ear cushions and different cup materials/shapes.  Then again, what else does headphone design involve if the driver is optimized - other than comfort and aesthetics?  

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2,775 of 6,345
A good observation.  Still, it's not too different from the big three that existed a couple of years ago: Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880, AKG K701.  Sennheiser has actually re-cycled the design several times: HD580, HD600, HD650.  Beyerdynamic offers several flavors of the DT880: Pro, Premium and I don't know what exactly - but then there's the "Manufaktur" edition, too.  I think the biggest difference is that perhaps: Beyerdynamic does not market as much as AKG, while both Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser continue to push the barrier with the HD800, HD700, T-1, T-5p, etc.  Until AKG came out with the K812, it seemed that all AKG was interested in was marketing and no other "new" headphone designs.

In any event, the now mid-ranged headphones mentioned above were/are world-class headphones, and perhaps better bang-for-buck headphones than any of the flagship headphones currently offered.  AKG may have gone about things a bit differently than the other two, but it doesn't detract from the validity of the design.  JMHO.

There are complaints about my favorite headphones as well - Grados.  Same driver, same design for almost every headphone.  They simply re-package it with different ear cushions and different cup materials/shapes.  Then again, what else does headphone design involve if the driver is optimized - other than comfort and aesthetics?  

I remember, with the recent Sennheiser interview with Co-CEO, he said something like there's no point of making a new headphone in a better design with the same old driver as used before, Sennheiser wanted new driver, new technology and improved sound for every of their new headphones combining with new stylish design.

^ I pretty much agree with that. The Grado IMO already have decent design, no need of changing. But then again, I am part of Grado Fanboy so yeah xP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back