The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,401 of 6,345
  ugghhh I want these. I am becoming a soundstage head and I think these will do the trick. I know they are wide but do they have depth?

Nope.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, they don't have *less* depth than comparable open-back cans. They just don't really have any more. Depth can be hard to find. These are very wide but not very deep. The only headphones I've heard that had serious soundstage depth was the TH-600. Mind you, I haven't heard the HD800 or T1 yet but I've heard a whole lot of mid-fi stuff like the K712 and they don't usually have a lot of depth.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2,402 of 6,345
I got the cable out and it's definitely the mini-XLR connector that's the issue. The metal piece with two tabs that moves when you press the button to release them doesn't retract far enough, requiring some wiggle and some force. Once I got it out I compared it to the connector on the coil cord, my K271mkII connector, and my Neutrik aftermarket connector. The latter goes in and out the nicest.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,403 of 6,345
I ordered the JDS Labs C5D Amplifier+DAC to drive my K712

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2,404 of 6,345

The only other I've tried that has as much and/or more is the Sennheiser HD-800. The 712 keeps up with it, quite surprisingly, in many areas. I run mine from a speaker amp and that "could (?)" be making a difference.

I will be using an emotiva. It probably does make a difference though. The depth will improve but not enough to change the general impressions of the headphone drastically.

Nope.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, they don't have *less* depth than comparable open-back cans. They just don't really have any more. Depth can be hard to find. These are very wide but not very deep. The only headphones I've heard that had serious soundstage depth was the TH-600. Mind you, I haven't heard the HD800 or T1 yet but I've heard a whole lot of mid-fi stuff like the K712 and they don't usually have a lot of depth.

Freakin A dude... did you really have to mention the other headphone I was thinking about instead of the akg k712!!!...Yep ehh, thats the answer right there then. You had no idea that I was thinking of that headphone seriously right now. I just wanted an open one that was my only deterrent besides build.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

out of curiousity which one is wider, more detailed(sure the tesla driver is), better timbre?

Depth is very good, but this depends a lot on the DAC IMO. Modi is very good for the Q701 and got that right for sure.
When I compared the two the modded Q701 seemed to have slightly better depth.
I think it's partly due to the mod. Could get similar results on the K712, but I don't think the mod will work on the K712 very well.

If you want a large soundstage I'd rank the AKGs in size as follows:

K501 > K 701/K702 > Q701 > K712 > K601

To me, a large soundstage is not that import but I'm more concerned which one is the most accurate/true to the recording.

Width is important but depth and height is kinda what Im concerned about. The left to right panning thing is cool but unrealistic without good depth, I know it has a good center image though so I should be good. Just cant afford the akg k712 and the th600

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,405 of 6,345
The TH-600 is closed but it doesn't act or sound like it is. There's very little isolation at all and they leak quite a bit. They sound spacious and more like a semi-open headphone. Soundstage width is great and depth is magnificent. There's a real feeling of 3D immersion particularly in the realism of the center image which is more in front of you and "around" you than with other cans I've tried. You'd probably really like them.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,407 of 6,345
I'm not sure what you mean by dry. I didn't think the TH-600 was harsh at all. Its bassy but manages to sound like a balanced headphone anyway which surprised me. None of the frequencies caused any problems for me. Its got a pretty smooth signature that's hard not to like.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #2,408 of 6,345
  I'm not sure what you mean by dry. I didn't think the TH-600 was harsh at all. Its bassy but manages to sound like a balanced headphone anyway which surprised me. None of the frequencies caused any problems for me. Its got a pretty smooth signature that's hard not to like.

Some gear can sound so dampened and without any decay at all after the attack that it becomes sharp and abrasive. I could be mistaken in my understanding or describing it wrong but you used smooth to describe these so thats cool... i should be fine. Also I should post further questions about these in the right thread...well I dont have too many more.  The akg k712 I am shure is a great headphone that I hope to own one day but it looks like that day is after the th-600.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,410 of 6,345
Anyone see any graphs for the K702 65th?  
No. I don't think there are any. There are K712 graphs though, which is the next closest thing.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,411 of 6,345

Some gear can sound so dampened and without any decay at all after the attack that it becomes sharp and abrasive. I could be mistaken in my understanding or describing it wrong but you used smooth to describe these so thats cool... i should be fine. Also I should post further questions about these in the right thread...well I dont have too many more.  The akg k712 I am shure is a great headphone that I hope to own one day but it looks like that day is after the th-600.

= Grado + low output impedance SS amplifier

Very insightful!

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,412 of 6,345
Its been long enough that I feel comfortable in my knowledge of the K712's abilities enough to post a summary/review. I'll mainly be comparing them to the DT880 and HD600.

The K712 is a great headphone with a lot of strengths and a couple of weaknesses. How you feel about its weaknesses will determine how much you like the K712 IMO.

The positives:

The soundstage is very wide. Its pretty impressive and I really like it. However, it is no deeper than comparable open cans like the DT880 and HD600 which is unfortunate. The DT880 and HD600 (and similar open cans) already have decently wide soundstages so widening that without making it deeper kind of sounds slightly strange. I get the feeling that the depth should be more, in order to match the width, and that that would result in a pretty amazeballs soundstage that I wish I could experience.

The sound signature is fairly smooth with good extension at both ends. The bass is of quite good quality and is quite satisfying but it doesn't entirely escape the "plasticy" issue (more on that later). It is not over emphasized but not lacking and has a pretty good amount of very low end extension for an open headphone. For me the bass quantity is just about perfect.

Detail is pretty great on these. I get the impression that they have ever so slightly more detail than the DT880 and HD600 but its hard to tell if its "real" detail or just an effect of the emphasized upper mids. Every little thing is revealed in full light in that range. There's also a decent amount of treble (its not warm or rolled off in the treble to my ears) and there's a good amount of detail there as well. The bass is also pretty well textured with a good and satisfying amount of detail.

The comfort is awesome. However, I found myself being slightly bothered by the extremely low clamping force. I'm only ever bothered with it after medium to long sessions where they can feel too loose if I'm moving my head around at all. But its a fairly small gripe and they are definitely very comfortable and the memory foam velour pads are awesome.

Personally, I think they look cool. There's a nice matte finish on the orange accents that makes it look much less bright and gawdy than some of the pictures make it look. I really like the design and the color scheme, I think they did a good job on it.  Any more orange and I probably wouldn't like it as much but they struck a good balance.

The fact that it comes with both a long straight cable and a shorter coiled cable, and that they are detachable, is definitely worth mentioning IMO. I wish this was a standard for all mid- and hi-end phones.

The negatives:

1- Tonal accuracy
2- Fatigue

The boosted upper mids of the K712 doesn't do the tonal accuracy any favors. They have a "plasticy" sound to them. Tonally the DT880 and HD600 are both clearly more accurate though its not a huge difference.

The boosted upper mids again cause the second problem-- fatigue. In terms of fatigue, the K712 is more fatiguing than the DT880 and much more fatiguing than the HD600.

For me, fatigue level and tonal accuracy are pretty high up on my list. As such, overall, I consider the K712 inferior to both the DT880 and HD600 and I use them less than I do those cans. Based on the asking price of the K712 when they first came out you would assume they are an obvious step up from headphones like the DT880 and HD600 but they aren't. They are very good and are worth the price IMO, and many will prefer them to the DT880 or HD600 and/or consider them technically superior to those cans in one way or another, but I do not think its accurate to say the K712 is in a different league from the DT880 and HD600. They are most certainly in the same league and it will come down to preferences.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm happy to answer any questions. Overall I do like the K712, quite a bit, but I prefer the DT880 and HD600 and use them more often than I do the K712.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,413 of 6,345
  Its been long enough that I feel comfortable in my knowledge of the K712's abilities enough to post a summary/review. I'll mainly be comparing them to the DT880 and HD600.

The K712 is a great headphone with a lot of strengths and a couple of weaknesses. How you feel about its weaknesses will determine how much you like the K712 IMO.

The positives:

The soundstage is very wide. Its pretty impressive and I really like it. However, it is no deeper than comparable open cans like the DT880 and HD600 which is unfortunate. The DT880 and HD600 (and similar open cans) already have decently wide soundstages so widening that without making it deeper kind of sounds slightly strange. I get the feeling that the depth should be more, in order to match the width, and that that would result in a pretty amazeballs soundstage that I wish I could experience.

The sound signature is fairly smooth with good extension at both ends. The bass is of quite good quality and is quite satisfying but it doesn't entirely escape the "plasticy" issue (more on that later). It is not over emphasized but not lacking and has a pretty good amount of very low end extension for an open headphone. For me the bass quantity is just about perfect.

Detail is pretty great on these. I get the impression that they have ever so slightly more detail than the DT880 and HD600 but its hard to tell if its "real" detail or just an effect of the emphasized upper mids. Every little thing is revealed in full light in that range. There's also a decent amount of treble (its not warm or rolled off in the treble to my ears) and there's a good amount of detail there as well. The bass is also pretty well textured with a good and satisfying amount of detail.

The comfort is awesome. However, I found myself being slightly bothered by the extremely low clamping force. I'm only ever bothered with it after medium to long sessions where they can feel too loose if I'm moving my head around at all. But its a fairly small gripe and they are definitely very comfortable and the memory foam velour pads are awesome.

Personally, I think they look cool. There's a nice matte finish on the orange accents that makes it look much less bright and gawdy than some of the pictures make it look. I really like the design and the color scheme, I think they did a good job on it.  Any more orange and I probably wouldn't like it as much but they struck a good balance.

The fact that it comes with both a long straight cable and a shorter coiled cable, and that they are detachable, is definitely worth mentioning IMO. I wish this was a standard for all mid- and hi-end phones.

The negatives:

1- Tonal accuracy
2- Fatigue

The boosted upper mids of the K712 doesn't do the tonal accuracy any favors. They have a "plasticy" sound to them. Tonally the DT880 and HD600 are both clearly more accurate though its not a huge difference.

The boosted upper mids again cause the second problem-- fatigue. In terms of fatigue, the K712 is more fatiguing than the DT880 and much more fatiguing than the HD600.

For me, fatigue level and tonal accuracy are pretty high up on my list. As such, overall, I consider the K712 inferior to both the DT880 and HD600 and I use them less than I do those cans. Based on the asking price of the K712 when they first came out you would assume they are an obvious step up from headphones like the DT880 and HD600 but they aren't. They are very good and are worth the price IMO, and many will prefer them to the DT880 or HD600 and/or consider them technically superior to those cans in one way or another, but I do not think its accurate to say the K712 is in a different league from the DT880 and HD600. They are most certainly in the same league and it will come down to preferences.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm happy to answer any questions. Overall I do like the K712, quite a bit, but I prefer the DT880 and HD600 and use them more often than I do the K712.

Thanks for the review! I do find my Annie to lack on instrumental separation though... 

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,414 of 6,345

The positives:

The negatives:

1- Tonal accuracy
2- Fatigue

I did hear some oddity in the upper mids and I did find them a bit fatiguing when I listened to them. After listening to them, it eliminated any desire for me to get them as an upgrade from my K612 as I found the K612 more tonally accurate and less fatiguing than the K712, I just wish the K612 had a detachable cable. I do want to try the K712 on more systems and see if it was simply a case of synergy that isn't ideal before coming to a concrete decision about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back