The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #5,656 of 6,345
That's interesting. I have the 6XX and find the bass to have stronger impact, and have a tightness as well. And I find K712 to lack such qualities.. But, if you look at the graph, 6XX does indeed roll off quicker than the K712, but that's not really how I perceive the bass. I perceive the 6XX bass as more substantial presence.

Thats the cool thing about audio. Maybe the anatomy of our ears alters the sound slightly that makes us perceive the same HP differently.
I love the HD6XX and for me it is a very coherent and balanced HP that does most things very well.

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #5,657 of 6,345
That's interesting. I have the 6XX and find the bass to have stronger impact, and have a tightness as well. And I find K712 to lack such qualities.. But, if you look at the graph, 6XX does indeed roll off quicker than the K712, but that's not really how I perceive the bass. I perceive the 6XX bass as more substantial presence.
What amp do you use for the k712

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #5,658 of 6,345
anyone know the "exact" marketplace (EU) value for a used pair of the k712?
so a mint box, 1 user, no issues, great condition, less than 1 year old.

im not looking to sell them ,but im very curious that if i ever want to, what i shuold expect. just looking at various ebay/selling sites you dont always get an accurate picture.
is it feasible in getting more than 150 euro?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #5,659 of 6,345
lol I sold mine for a little over 100 euros. They're not that great honestly. If only AKG knew how to tune headphones. Though the K550 sounded pretty good and interestingly enough was probably higher resolution (but a closed design).

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #5,660 of 6,345
lol I sold mine for a little over 100 euros. They're not that great honestly. If only AKG knew how to tune headphones. Though the K550 sounded pretty good and interestingly enough was probably higher resolution (but a closed design).
Man i'm sorry to disagree but in my opinion no other company in the world can compete with AKG's know-how on tuning open-back headphones. I have owned almost every mid-fi open-back dynamic headphone from other manufacturers and none of them even come close to how perfectly tuned the austrian-made K702 is. All of AKG's headphones are near perfectly tuned but the austrian-made K702 is/was the real thing in my experience/opinion. True perfection.

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #5,661 of 6,345
Man i'm sorry to disagree but in my opinion no other company in the world can compete with AKG's know-how on tuning open-back headphones. I have owned almost every mid-fi open-back dynamic headphone from other manufacturers and none of them even come close to how perfectly tuned the austrian-made K702 is. All of AKG's headphones are near perfectly tuned but the austrian-made K702 is/was the real thing in my experience/opinion. True perfection.

I find my Austrian 701s to be pretty neutral, deserving of their place in the "trinity" with HD650 and DT880, and thought they have a better soundstage with the steeply angled pads. The 712s I got had flat (no angle) pads.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #5,662 of 6,345
Eh. None of them are well balanced. Peaky mids and treble. Whilst some people would prefer that kind of sound for music listening I wouldn't call it a reference sound. You can't use any of these for serious mixing work. The K550 was the exception though. That one actually sounded like a real speaker.

I've actually replaced the K612, K712, and K550 with some Etymotic IEMs. Way better tuning and better dynamics and detail overall that is not hyped in any way.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #5,663 of 6,345
Eh. None of them are well balanced. Peaky mids and treble. Whilst some people would prefer that kind of sound for music listening I wouldn't call it a reference sound. You can't use any of these for serious mixing work. The K550 was the exception though. That one actually sounded like a real speaker.

I've actually replaced the K612, K712, and K550 with some Etymotic IEMs. Way better tuning and better dynamics and detail overall that is not hyped in any way.
Interesting. My experience with them is the complete opposite of yours. We all hear differently I guess. One thing I would like to mention is that in the 70's John Lennon used AKG's to record all his music. When you have time, listen to his music, it's not exactly bad sounding.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #5,664 of 6,345

Hey Dealux, which K550 did you own ? There is the K550, the K550 MK2, and K550 MK3. They all are tuned a bit differently.

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #5,665 of 6,345
Interesting. My experience with them is the complete opposite of yours. We all hear differently I guess. One thing I would like to mention is that in the 70's John Lennon used AKG's to record all his music. When you have time, listen to his music, it's not exactly bad sounding.
That is certainly the case but I don't think people with actual musical know-how would call them neutra\balanced. AFAIK, John Lennon didn't mix his own music. Most engineers don't use headphones for mixing anyway, except maybe for checking things.

Hey Dealux, which K550 did you own ? There is the K550, the K550 MK2, and K550 MK3. They all are tuned a bit differently.
MK2. They all have a treble peak at 10K (I think) but otherwise they sound pretty much dead on. A flat\balanced headphone sounds like an actual speaker. The 7XX series of headphones sound more like a weird radio\bluetooth speaker but obviously with more detail.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #5,667 of 6,345
That is certainly the case but I don't think people with actual musical know-how would call them neutra\balanced. AFAIK, John Lennon didn't mix his own music. Most engineers don't use headphones for mixing anyway, except maybe for checking things.

I play/own several different instruments including piano and guitars, so I am familiar with the tonality of musical instruments, and the AKG K702 is the most natural sounding open-back headphone i've ever heard. Piano and guitars in the K702 sound just like they do in reality. The K712 would be better for mixing/mastering, I do consider K712 as fairly neutral because it has a good balance of bass/mid's/treble. The Q701 (the "Q" stands for Quincy Jones - an award winning producer) is also another great creation of AKG.
Headphones are a vital part of the recording/mixing/mastering process..I use speakers when panning sounds (for example) but headphones allow me to hear the extra details.

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #5,668 of 6,345
I think these phones are very amp/dac dependant.
I just compared my macbook pro headphone jack ot my filo E1m2 and the different is darastic.
I'm just about to buy a JDS atom and a DX3 Pro so I'll let you guys knows the difference.

Personally i find the soundstage "just right" for an open back headphone, which is quite crazy given they're one of the most open headphones with the best soundstage in this price range.

Pondering what my next set of cans should be... Senns?

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #5,670 of 6,345
I didn't appreciate the Slovakian beasts until I let em go. I miss em. The strange thing about the "trio" is people always want to go back to them even if they upgrade/ hear something better.
Gonna give Annie a shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back