1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by pina.cz, Apr 10, 2013.
First

Back
367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376
Next

Last
  1. FritzS
    Q701 is very similar to K701, K702. But with not angled pads Q701 is very similar to K712.
    I own a set of spare pads from K712, so I could test this very easy.

2. peter123
    Today I shipped my K712 to a new owner. After getting the Brainwavz micro suede XL pads for the Q701's I tend to reach for them over the K712 most of the time. The K712 are still a great pair of headphones though, the Q701's (with upgraded pads) just add more variety to my collection.

trellus likes this.
  3. SilverEars
    I was reminded immediately by the K712, that K7 series lacks bass, even more so than the Sennheiser 6 series (which has more of mid-bass, lacking subs).

Sennheiser 6 series has small size pad/cups that has just enough size to fit the avg ear size, but K7 series has large spaced circle shapes cups which diffuses the bass, reducing the SPL perceived. Raises the sound stage, but reduces bass.

I also think the trble is uneven, the upper mids energy seems not be present enough to transition to the treble area, which outputs more emphasis on the bright part of the spectrum, although not really that bright a headphone overall, or get harsh.

So, my experience with K701 and K712 isn't good for top sound quality.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  4. mmmadog
    For what it's worth I'm using a bass modded old crappy pair of k701 thru a Gustard h10 and a Gustard x9 dac and the bass is good and sounds good for what it is. I did have a nice set of HD 650 and they sounded terrible with the same setup. I really need to try a set of K712.

5. swagadelic
    what amp do you use?
    i wasnt super impressed either until i heard them on proper power. now, they certainly dont lack bass let me tell you! the sub is very impressive. the 100 - 200hz area is not too impressive but the <100hz area is very very excellent.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  6. swagadelic
    for you, id recommend an EQ to balance them to your liking. i use sonarworks all the time while mastering and it does a superb job, it has a built in k712 preset. they have a free trial.

episiarch likes this.
  7. Dealux
    [​IMG]

I'm selling my K712s lol. Etymotic FTW.

trellus likes this.
  8. swagadelic
    rip :frowning2:

9. LillaGrynet
    I have had my 712 for a couple of years and I mostly use it for gaming (cs:go). I have had my issues with some peaks in freq response making it harsh and giving me fatigue when listening to music (not gaming). I tried oratory1990 eq settings (harman) and now I have been listening to alot of music with my 712 and without fatigue and annoying peaks. This headphone response really well to eq and right now it is getting more time than my HD6XX. Really sweet lush sound with good slam in the bass and airy detailed treble. Link to oratory1990 https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/

10. LillaGrynet
    I have had my 712 for a couple of years and I mostly use it for gaming (cs:go). I have had my issues with some peaks in freq response making it harsh and giving me fatigue when listening to music (not gaming). I tried oratory1990 eq settings (harman) and now I have been listening to alot of music with my 712 and without fatigue and annoying peaks. This headphone response really well to eq and right now it is getting more time than my HD6XX. Really sweet lush sound with good slam in the bass and airy detailed treble. Link to oratory1990 https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/

11. SilverEars
    Man, you must be quite sensitive to peaks. K712 might be the most leveled sounding of the K7 series to my ears. For me it wasn't a peak issue, it was articulation not well defined in the upper frequencies, and diffused bass inside the large cups which degraded bass quantity and quality. For my taste, Senn 6 series has the response my ears like. It seems to come quite close to the compensation target curves. I like the transition to upper-mids when it's more gradual rise. And this characteristic is what's really unique to Senn 6 series and 580 precision. It's how their upper-mids are tuned.

raw-frequency-response-r-graph.png

I find lots of the Beyers I've seen being a bit recessed in the upper-mids and then peaks in the lower to higher treble, which doesn't jive with me.

raw-frequency-response-r-graph (1).png

So, all in all, the upper-mids is the defining area that makes or breaks good sound for me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  12. LillaGrynet
    With age I have gotten very sensitive to certain peaks in the upper midrange/treble, maybe it has something to do with my tinnitus. Either way I get fatigue easily if the treble is to hot. After the eq I can listen for hours without any pain and the sound is more natural.

swagadelic likes this.
  13. SilverEars
    What I find is, peaks are something that is the worst when it's not a gradual rise, and being quick or early rise, also valley's/dips define's the peaks. When there is a quick or early transition, our ears will immediately notice something is odd.

Looks like Rtings does have a graph of K712. Perhaps, it's the early rise and the peak at 2k? Most of the times, I don't agree with Rting rating, and this is one of those times.

raw-frequency-response-l-graph.png

14. LillaGrynet
    Yes that sounds very likely. It is probably the 2k spike that annoys me the most. Regarding the bass quality I think that the 712 are superior over the HD6XX which can sound a little slower (muddy). So i find it strange that you felt that the 712 had issues with bass quality and quantity. I always thought that the bass was the 712 best feature.

Dealux and swagadelic like this.
  15. SilverEars
    That's interesting. I have the 6XX and find the bass to have stronger impact, and have a tightness as well. And I find K712 to lack such qualities.. But, if you look at the graph, 6XX does indeed roll off quicker than the K712, but that's not really how I perceive the bass. I perceive the 6XX bass as more substantial presence.

First

Back
367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376
Next

Last