The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #5,356 of 6,345
You can get an amp\DAC in the future. My Roland interface needs about 60% of its amp power to drive them at comfortable levels and while that is far from reaching its limit you might benefit from a more powerful amp but my ears can't notice a difference.

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #5,357 of 6,345
from what i can gather from around the web is that UR22 has a weak headphone amp (5mw @ 40 ohm) and the K712 pro are notoriously hard to drive even at their quite low 62 ohm.

so i have this nagging feeling that i will be disappointed. but now another problem has arisen, from me trying to find a decent headphone amp. but maybe its just with those that is also a DAC? its the frequency response on these things. many of them seem to be 20hz - 20khz. what does this mean exactly? the k712 pro goes all the way up to 38khz. not that i would be able to hear anything of that, but im pretty sure i can hear much more than just 20khz. so the dac will just cut everything over that off?

this seems like a huge dealbreaker when producing music. i must be able to monitor stuff over 20khz. and below 20hz for that matter.

please advice, because this is a jungle and im getting so confused

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #5,359 of 6,345
Most engineers don't touch anything past 16K when mixing. That happens to be where most people's hearing starts to roll off.

They are really not that hard to drive or maybe they somehow became more efficient over time? They get pretty loud even on my OnePlus One.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #5,361 of 6,345
Yeah you're probably right about 20k being enough. Maybe I was just confused.

However the ur22 has an output of 6mw per channel. The k712 need about 100mw per channel to get loud enough while still sounding good.

And like someone said its not just about loudness it's also about getting enough current to handle impedance fluctuations and peaks.

So a hp amp with at least 100mw per channel is definitely needed for these from all I can gather, after doing the maths.

Considering the k712 pros sensitivity is about 90db spl/mw and using the power calculator i get the numbers above (~100mw for loud volume)

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #5,362 of 6,345
And as many others have said don't be fooled by the relatively low impedance and high sensitivity of the K712, it's notorious for being quite difficult to get the right match amp wise. The ur22 doesn't seem to be up to the task at all.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #5,363 of 6,345
And as many others have said don't be fooled by the relatively low impedance and high sensitivity of the K712, it's notorious for being quite difficult to get the right match amp wise. The ur22 doesn't seem to be up to the task at all.

Agreed. With the K712 and kin more power doesn’t mean better sound. Sometimes they pair oddly well with amps that don’t give them much power. They can behave rather unpredictability from system to system.

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #5,366 of 6,345
got my stuff now!!

but the UR22 mk2 cannot drive the K712 pro. Not by a long shot. I am surprised at how bad they drive them. At the knob to 5pm, which is max - the volume is still LOW. (inside Cubase) And there is no bass, and barely any mids, just treble. And the soundstage this headphone is famous for? I dont hear it ;( its thin and lifeless. just a whole lotta treble ;(

I did play an mp3 inside Wavelab and the volume is ok now, at about 3 oclock. but inside cubase while mixing its way too low ;( stil dont think the sound is great. there is hardly any bass or "thump" to the bass (i listen/produce psytrance) and i dont think the soundstage is big at all. something must be wrong it seems. they sound like a closed back headphone that has the bass cut-off

Off to spend more money on a seperate amp :frowning2: FeelsBadMan

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #5,367 of 6,345
got my stuff now!!

but the UR22 mk2 cannot drive the K712 pro. Not by a long shot. I am surprised at how bad they drive them. At the knob to 5pm, which is max - the volume is still LOW. (inside Cubase) And there is no bass, and barely any mids, just treble. And the soundstage this headphone is famous for? I dont hear it ;( its thin and lifeless. just a whole lotta treble ;(

I did play an mp3 inside Wavelab and the volume is ok now, at about 3 oclock. but inside cubase while mixing its way too low ;( stil dont think the sound is great. there is hardly any bass or "thump" to the bass (i listen/produce psytrance) and i dont think the soundstage is big at all. something must be wrong it seems. they sound like a closed back headphone that has the bass cut-off

Off to spend more money on a seperate amp :frowning2: FeelsBadMan

I've got them recently too (have had them for a week now) and I use them connected straight into my laptop while I wait for my r2r11 to arrive. The soundstage does sound compressed (though you still get a sense of sound coming from out of your head, however close it might be), the imaging is very good but the rest might sound a bit muffled. It still sounds like a decent headphone nevertheless. As far as volume/loudness goes, with the records that sound louder on the regular I can drive them pretty well (up to 70% in some cases is more than enough) and in others that are quieter I might need the 100%, but for the most part I can get them to a sufficiently loud volume. With a dedicated DAC/amp (r2r11 in my case) I expect their sound to be opened up and be more refined and detailed, more airy and expand the soundstage a little bit and perhaps improve the imaging even more as a result.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #5,369 of 6,345
I personally use the LCX + SDAC with my K712 and they sound great. The LCX powers the K712 with plenty of head room imo
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say the LCX brings just a tad of warmth to the K712's? Because I've also read that the LCX is practically a gen 2 Liquid Carbon, and that version, along with the gen 1 too, was said to bring just a little warmth to the table.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #5,370 of 6,345
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say the LCX brings just a tad of warmth to the K712's? Because I've also read that the LCX is practically a gen 2 Liquid Carbon, and that version, along with the gen 1 too, was said to bring just a little warmth to the table.
Yeah I would say the LCX brings just a tad of warmth, but its still relatively neutral. I can't compare it to the previous Liquid Carbons as I've never tried them, but the LCX is a great combination with the K712 imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back