The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #5,296 of 6,345
I wouldn't mod them or EQ them at all. Any sort of modification can significantly affect things like transparency and sound stage, which are things that the K712 excels at.

I'd say they have plenty of bass for me. It shouldn't bother you unless you're a basshead or something, but even then, maybe you should appreciate quality bass as opposed to just raw quantity sloppy bass. The K550 (closed pair, which I also own) has quite a bit more bass but honestly I don't mind the roll-off on the K712 (you can still get an impressive amount of sub bass out of them for an open back). They have enough bass for bass heavy genres like trap or drum and bass and where they lack a little in bass they make up for it in detail and sound stage.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #5,299 of 6,345
The question was already answered, here the discussion begins:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...pressions-thread.659251/page-126#post-9878206
please note what @chicolom says.

I'm starting to feel a bit tempted, since the mod only affects the lower bass region.

I read that previously but it was more confusing than helpful. First of all his mod posting was in k701 thread and secondly he created further confusion by saying:

The mod doesn't transforms it into a flagship-killing headphone or anything. It's not like a little low bass roll-off was the only issue separating the Q701 from the flagship. It still has a somewhat harsh upper mid peak, graininess, blurriness, compressed dynamics, and lacks some soundstage depth. That's being harsh on the Q701 of course, and mid-fi headphones are still about 85% as good as flagships. This mod doesn't make up that last 15% though or anything like that. It's just modifies the sound a little to add a bit more low bass.

@chicolom continued to confuse his posting further in failing to clarify it later.
He said he did the mod on 712 but his observations still all refereed to 701.

This is the reason I made a new posting asking for opinions on mod specific to k712.

If I’m not fully happy with the k712 bass I most likely will do the mod myself as it seems fairly straightforward.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #5,300 of 6,345
If you're worried about bass so much then maybe you should get the K550/K553. It's quite likely the flattest sounding pair of headphones AKG has made to date. They resemble a speaker really well with that excellent sub bass extension (the K712 rolls off in the sub bass region much quicker). They sound a bit tinier and perhaps about 10-15% less detailed than the K712 (also narrower and somewhat confused in terms of sound stage, but still impressive for a closed back) but they are still amazing headphones for the price. The bass on them is really terrific.

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #5,301 of 6,345
@chicolom continued to confuse his posting further in failing to clarify it later.
He said he did the mod on 712 but his observations still all refereed to 701.
At least this one:
I own K712s, and that's what I did the mod on.
Directly refers to K712.
The effects of the mod are still subtle, so it want transform the headphone to a "whole new level" or any of the other typical head-fi hyperbole you may have seen mentioned when describing the mod. As such, it won't make the Q701 sound that much different from stock and it certainly won't make it sound like the Anniversary or K712.
@chicolom extrapolates his experience to other *7** models and I can't see anything wrong here, since they all share a similar construction and similar (if not identical) drivers.
The newer models (Annie, 712, 7XX) not only have better bass extention, but also feature a whole low-to-mid range boost, up to about 1kHz, that affects tonality to a warmer side. It's the effect of new memory foam earpads. Bass port mod affects only the lowest range and isn't as prominent (you can look for graphs here), it's mostly a bass extension increase, with little effect on tonality.
I hope we finally manage to summon @chicolom to clarify :).

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #5,302 of 6,345
Theory aside: the mod makes sound bigger and cleaner. I doubt that I would be able to EQ that. Lower bass is a bit on "too much" side, but added weight is worth it.
I'm currently using slightly thinner foam rings in order to avoid too much low midrange boost. Thicker rings + port mod make bass almost unbearable.

UPD: I have already reversed the mod. Vocals got buried under low frequencies. Try at your own risk: i had to solder a broken connection while applying the damper patches back.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #5,303 of 6,345
I don't recommend modding K712. The chances are that something will be drastically changed in their sound signature. I use them with Asgard 2 + Arcam Irdac + Schiit Loki Mini (analog four band equalizer). I only increase a bit (1,5 db) subbass (20-30 hz) and decrease to the same extent (1,5 db) highs - at around 8 khz. They sound terrific and they respond great to EQ. Only a couple of tiny, very carefully done tweaks on my Loki Moni make them, I dare say, perfect headphones that could be listened to all day long. Right now, I'm listening to Don Grusin on K712 and I can't believe how good they sound! Now, I barely use my K550 anymore (great closed phones, by the way, just with considerably narrower soundstage). No modding! Just get Loki Mini and you'll be in Heaven!

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #5,304 of 6,345
K550 sound stage is not bad but they sound a bit tinier in terms of the size of the overall sound as well as the stereo image. They're also not as accurate in terms of directionality, but they sound amazing either way.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #5,305 of 6,345
If anyone wants to improve the sound of their K712 Pro, you should give my EQ that I created for it a try. In terms of bass as well, this removes the hump on the mid bass, and improves the lower bass extension. I have had a few people message me and tell me how impressed they are with this EQ set. This EQ makes this headphone sound much better than the stock headphone. I think people will be quite impressed.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: + 0.5
160Hz: - 0.5
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1.25kHz: + 0.5
2kHz: - 1
3.15kHz: + 2
4kHz: + 1
6.3kHz: - 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5
10kHz: + 0.5
12.5kHz: - 0.5
16kHz: + 0.5

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #5,306 of 6,345
If anyone wants to improve the sound of their K712 Pro, you should give my EQ that I created for it a try.
I tried to replicate you setting. My EQ has different bands, so the actual setting is a bit different from yours:

31 Hz: +4 dB
62 Hz: 0 dB
125 Hz: -1 dB
250 Hz: -1 dB
500 Hz: 0 dB
1 kHz: +1 dB
2kHz: -1 dB
4 kHz: +1 dB
8 kHz: -1 dB
16 kHz: +1dB

The diffrence is subtle (as the settings are), but pleasing.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #5,307 of 6,345
I wrote a post in this thread earlier when I returned my pair of K712s since they fit too loose (I have a pretty narrow/small head). The only way they fit was without using the elastics at all, so in the default position. I have looked for a new pair of headphones a long time now but I still think K712 is what I'm looking for. My question is if there is an easy way to "lock" them so they don't use the elastics bands at all. Like using cable ties/tape on each side or something similar. I don't have them in front of me and I forgot to check this before I sent them back. Maybe someone has done the same thing?
Thanks!

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #5,308 of 6,345
My question is if there is an easy way to "lock" them so they don't use the elastics bands at all.
Here you go:
IMG_0002.JPG
A piece of stiff plastic/rubber tubing, cut longitudally, then clip it here:
IMG_0001.JPG
One piece holds a side well enough.
You may also try padding the headband.

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #5,310 of 6,345
I hope everyone is still enjoying their K712 Pro. This thread looks rather quiet lately. It is a great headphone. However, I ended up moving on to the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home a couple months ago. It ended up being the perfect upgrade. It just takes everything the AKG did, and goes up a full tier to the next level in sound quality. I gave the EQ I posted in this thread for the K712 Pro to the guy who bought my pair as well. He was totally impressed by the improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back