The AK320 thread
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #721 of 743
hi all :)
i am a proud new owner of a AK320. I got it it for around 900USD, and comparing it to local prices i think it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

so far I am enjoying it more than my previous DAP (DP-X1). the build is fantastic, so is the sound and ui! it does get a bit warm when in my pocket though...

Is there anything I should know about the AK320 (things that new users are likely to not know)?

Thanks!

edit: also noticed there are quite few reviews of AK320 on the internet :xf_eek: it isnt as popular as i though A&K products would be
Great price. I bought mine a while ago full price and have enjoyed it greatly. I just bought a 400 GB SanDisk to expand memory. I've used it with a variety of IEMs. Very nice on planes or in the dentist's chair!

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #722 of 743
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I've been reading it though for a longer time. I have a decision to make in buying a player a I need your advice!

I have to buying optionas- AK320 and AK70mkii and can't really decide which one to buy.

The AK is used more than two years, has no warranty and the battery has poor performance (about 3h play). There is original box for it and it is in mint condition. The cost is 750€

The AK70mkii is 20 days old, has warranty and is almost new so de condition is perfect. The cost is 600€

I know that in the sound department the AK320 wins but will it be a big difference? On the other hand AK70mkii has more balanced output which is great.

When it comes to esthetics i like both players.

I will appreciate avery subjective and objective opinion because i really don't know what to do!

Thankscin advance for any help :))

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #723 of 743
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I've been reading it though for a longer time. I have a decision to make in buying a player a I need your advice!

I have to buying optionas- AK320 and AK70mkii and can't really decide which one to buy.

The AK is used more than two years, has no warranty and the battery has poor performance (about 3h play). There is original box for it and it is in mint condition. The cost is 750€

The AK70mkii is 20 days old, has warranty and is almost new so de condition is perfect. The cost is 600€

I know that in the sound department the AK320 wins but will it be a big difference? On the other hand AK70mkii has more balanced output which is great.

When it comes to esthetics i like both players.

I will appreciate avery subjective and objective opinion because i really don't know what to do!

Thankscin advance for any help :))

the AK70mkII seems like the better choice here...

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #725 of 743
I recently bought a AK320. I also own a AK70 and AK300 (for now) so I have had the chance to compare them extensively. I feel like the AK320 sounds significantly better than either, I was actually a bit disappointed with the AK300. I doubt the dual DAC makes much difference, so I can only assume that they have different sound signatures. I know someone disagreed with me in another thread, but I personally prefer the AK70 to the AK300.

In my subjective opinion AK320 > AK70 > AK300.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #726 of 743
I've tried the ak70 and ak300 as well, though briefly.
Still, the 320 was much more clear with a more robust sound.
I would attribute it to the AKM chip vs Cirrus Logic, double chips, and better circuitry

May 25, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #727 of 743
Tested Astell & Kern AK320

Headphone AMPs (or as a headphone amplifiers)
Simple test reports for "dummies":
Unbalance
Balance
Professional tests report:
Unbalance
Balance
Linear output (or as a linear output)
Professional test report

On-line comparison services with Astell & Kern AK320

Comparison of change the frequency response of joint work of Astell & Kern AK320 with different headphones

Comparison of amplifier voltage and headphone sensitivity for optimal sound playing

Comparison of voltage graphs

Comparison of characteristics:
Unbalance
Balance

Volume comparison:
Unbalance
Balance

Astell & Kern AK320 included in list for headphones match to headphones for certain listening conditions:
Unbalance
Balance

May 26, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #728 of 743
Explanations to the measurements of Astell & Kern AK320

List of the reports of Astell & Kern AK320

AK320 plays an audio stream of 44.1 kHz on the DAC is not direct. AK320 uses resampling. This is evidenced by the aliasing graph.

Astell%20%20Kern_AK320_Center_-_No%20load_-_All_150_20-96k_lin_aiasing.png

AK320 have AK4490 DAC. AK4490 DAC have five presets digital filter. it's Sharp, Slow, Short Sharp, Short Slow and Super Slow. Aliasing graph from AK320 dues not similar to them presets.

AK320 have a similar graph as KANN

Astell%20%20Kern%20iriver_KANN%20Unbalance_Center_-_No%20load_-_All_150_20-96k_lin_aiasing.png

if KANN connect to USB (as USB-DAC) digital filter works default preset Short Sharp. SRC off from Astell&Kern.

Astell%20%20Kern%20iriver_KANN%20USB_Center_-_No%20load_-_All_150_20-96k_lin_aiasing.png

SRC does not off in AK320 with connect to USB.

Quality of SRC is good. SRC have not visible distortions. Probably, sound stream 44.1 kHz upsample to 174 kHz. This algorithm replace path algorithm of digital filter from DAC.

1.jpg

2.jpg

if external dac connect to spdif to AK320, soundstream out is correct without SRC.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #730 of 743
Is this dap still a good buy in comparison to ask SE15, se100 or ak70mk2?

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #731 of 743
Is this dap still a good buy in comparison to ask SE15, se100 or ak70mk2?

It's definitely a great sounding player, I personally prefer it to the AK380.

The only issue at this point for me is the UI performance. Scrolling through albums is tedious and going into playlists takes ages. I usually just navigate through artists instead of albums.

If you can tolerate that I think you'd enjoy the sound. I've listened to the SE100 and I wouldn't say it necessarily sounds better, but the UI is a vast improvement.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #732 of 743
Anyone know if you can get AK to ignore ‘The’ in front of an artists name, and list it in its proper alphabetical order?

Obviously I can change a artists tag from ‘The Beatles’ to ‘Beatles, The’ but is there another way?

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #733 of 743
Good Question, and I would love to know the answer too.
Heck, I'm still looking for a decent app to transfer files from computer to AKM.

In fact, the answer to your question may ly in the same bed.
Can some folks recommend some Apps they have tried or used?

Which Apps do you think are the best? the worst?

E.g, I would think the best App to transfer files would address the last Question
about how to not let the App screw up our Artists lists b/c of the "The" factor = as in The Beatles vs Beatles
Thx

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #734 of 743
Good Question, and I would love to know the answer too.
Heck, I'm still looking for a decent app to transfer files from computer to AKM.

In fact, the answer to your question may ly in the same bed.
Can some folks recommend some Apps they have tried or used?

Which Apps do you think are the best? the worst?

E.g, I would think the best App to transfer files would address the last Question
about how to not let the App screw up our Artists lists b/c of the "The" factor = as in The Beatles vs Beatles
Thx

You’re using Mac I presume?

With windows I just drag & drop the files.

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #735 of 743
Yep, using MAC for now.
When it dies I will switch all Apple gear to Windows or Android or whatever is the best alternative.

But yeah, the "the" issue described above drives me crazy.
And when I transfer files from mac to the AK, most of the albums end up in a "unknown" bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back